China Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yes of course!
Heping (Peace) was made in Tianjin, June 1958. It was a perfect copy of the Toyopet Crown (yes, even then!). I suppose only one was made. In 1960 a bigger model Peace appeared, much larger. There were two cars of this Peace no. 2. See my Beijing-Tianjin book: http://www.chinesecars.net/content/cars-and-4-x-4s-beijing-and-tianjin .
The Progress (Xianjin) was also a one-off of the same period, made in Chongqing.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does Heping car have any connection with present-day FAW Tianjin?
Meanwhile another pic I found from 1960 Heping.

Heping (Peace)-59 (2).jpg

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, Eric. By the way, possibly also Progress car also doesn't have any connection to any present-day Chongqing manufacturer, right?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
No connection. In fact there was a second, different Xianjin sedan, named Xianjin 71-5 (there was a whole Xianjin range including some trucks). The name of the factory was: Chongqing Local (Difan) State New Building (Xinjian) Machinery Works. I am preparing a new history document (number 7), named "Chinese Car Prototypes of the 1950s- 1970s", focused on all these models which appeared during the Great Leap Forward (1958-61) and the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution (1966-1976).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts