China Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My research currently indicates that the first car was brought into the country in 1902 by Empress Dowager Ci Xi.

I suspect there were some earlier, possibly steam powered, cars in use in the late 1890s. Does anyone know when the first car arrived in China? Was it before 1902?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response ASH (re SAIC & FAW). I do have some info on these two companies on my carhistory4u web site. The FAW entry, which needs improving, currently reads:

The First Automobile Works produced their first car, the Hongqi CA770, in 1958. It is considered the first car to be manufactured in China.

The 5700cc, 220 hp car had a V8 engine and was fitted with a 2 speed automatic gear box.

It was first shown to the public during the 10th National Day parade held in Tian’anmen Square, Beijing, in October 1958. For how long was the CA770 model produced and how many were made?

Other Hongqi CA models produced include the CA71, 72, 772, 760, 7080, 7220and, until 1998, the 7560 model. Information on these models required.

The First Automobile Works was built between 1953 and 1956 with assistance from the Russian ZIS/ZIL company. It initially produced a medium sized truck based on the ZIS 150 model.

Tianjin Xiali, a subsidiary of FAW, produced the Xiali model range, cars based on the 1987 Daihatsu Charade. These cars include the TJ7100 hatchback and the TJ7101U sedan. Information required. Dates produced, how many, etc.

Tianjin Xiali have produced an electric version of the Daihatsu Move called the Miles ZX40. In 2006 it became the first Chinese built car to be sold in the USA. Information on this car required.

FAW has entered into joint venture manufacturing agreements with Toyota (to produce the Prius/Platz/Vitz); Volkswagen (Jetta/Bora/Sagitar) and Audi (A4/A6L). When were these 3 agreements signed?

By 2004 the company had produced its one millionth car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Joest,

Thanks for the info. I look forward to your URL with much interest. I hope some of my historical info on cars in China, which I'll be posting over the next few days, helps you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mentioned in an earlier post that my research currently indicates that the first car was brought into the country in 1902 by Empress Dowager Ci Xi.

If it triggers off any thoughts on this important car I can add that it was made by the American Duryea Brothers and that the 4 hp car had a wooden body and a double row of seats. It was driven by Sun Fuling.

I would like to confirm the 1902 date and to establish if it really was the first car brought into China.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the SAIC entry in my carhistory4u.com web site. I'm very interested in any comments, correction, additions, etc.

Shanghai Automotive produced their first car in September 1958.

The car was called the ‘Feng Huang’ (The Phoenix) and is believed to have been fitted with either a V8, 150 hp or 2300cc, 4-cylinder, 78 hp, engine. Which is correct? Both?

In 1964 the name was changed from ‘Phoenix’ to Shanghai SH760.

A 760A version was launched in 1968, followed by the 760B version in 1974.

By the time production of the SH760 series ceased, in November 1991, a total of 79,526 cars had been produced. Confirmation of this data required.

In the mid 1980’s (when exactly?) the company formed a joint venture with Volkswagen and started production of the ‘Santana’ (Passat), a mid sized/compact car.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Historyman said:
Can anyone confirm that the Nanjing Fiat Company was formed in 1996? What models were produced?
The Fiat-Yuejin (Nanjing Auto's parent) joint venture began in 1999. It was called Nanya Automobile Co., Ltd. The Palio, Siena, and maybe the Stilo, were the first models.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
dragin – thank you very much for the Fiat information. As a result I’ve uncovered the following which will help me update the Nanjing Automotive Group entry in my car history web site http://www.carhistory4u.com.

I plan to significantly improve the “China” entry in Part 2, The Last 100 Years, Section 8.3 of my web site. Any information on cars in China will be much appreciated.

Nanjing Automobile Group

In 1999 the Nanjing Group formed a joint venture with Fiat called Nanya Automobile Company Ltd (Nanjing Fiat Automobile Co).

The first cars produced were the Palio and the Siena. In what year?

Four versions of the Palio “super-mini” were available; the saloon, pick-up, estate wagon and 3 door and 5 door hatchback. Were all versions produced in China?

The Siena was a 4-door version of the Palio. The 2001 mark ll model had either a 1 litre 70 hp or 1.2 litre 82 hp engine. Were both types of engines supplied in China?

In 2003 the company produced 36,739 vehicles.

In 2006 the company launched the Perla model, a car based in Fiat’s Albea model. It was supplied with a 1.7 litre engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts