China Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
yikes, how did that happen to a X5??? DID A ROCK FROM THE SKY COME DOWN ON IT???

hmmm i think whatever happen to it, the same would happn to a Landwind, Chery tiggo, gwm deer or gwm safe of gonow suv etc

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think if that one part of the grill is not there, no one could tell its a x5

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mocking the X5's safety? Any car at this speed or at this caliber of a collision will look like that, but I guarantee you the Landwind would deform at a worse rate than this X5. If you put the X5 and Landwind together, crash them into a deformable barrier at 40mph, then you'll see the difference.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
Only a carbon fiber bodied Enzo or Porsche CarerraGT will save you in a head on collision like this.
The problem is that this wasn't a head on collision was it - very heavily offset to one side.

Is there any reason to suspect that the Enzo or Carrerra GT are especially good in head on collissions or was that just an opportunity to quote a couple of exotics and show that you know what they are made of?

wonder what the speed was - it's not far from a junction and in a residential area, so you would have thought the speed shouldn't be too high, unless it woz drug dealerz runnin from the law or summat?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I always believed that most supercars and exotics are horrible during highspeed crashes, regardless of the fact that they are made from carbon-fibre. The carbon-fibre is light and strong reducing body flex but in a crash situation that is a totally different story.

·
Registered
469 Posts
AXLE said:
I always believed that most supercars and exotics are horrible during highspeed crashes, regardless of the fact that they are made from carbon-fibre. The carbon-fibre is light and strong reducing body flex but in a crash situation that is a totally different story.
The only one I know about is the MG SV where the carbon-fibre body is attached to a high strength steel frame which incorporates a race aproved (FIA) roll cage so it has to be one of the safest production cars in which to have a crash!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Composite materials such fibre do have a very high energy absorbtion rate when they are crushed. This is why an F1 car, for example, can be crashed at high speeds and still protect the driver even though he is sat very close to the front of the car.

However, I suspect that any road orientated car is designed to meet a certain legally required safety standard as a minimum, and then if the manufacturer thinks it is a marketing benefit they will try to make it even safer. But everything is a compromise between safety and other performance factors such as weight, size, style etc. Considering this, I would have thought it unlikely that an Enzo or Carrera GT are made safer than an X5. I think on this occasion hater was mainly spouting with no real substance.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yeah but in F1 cars if I understand correctly, the driver sits in what is essentially a tight enclosed single person capsule inside the F1 car itself. This is very different to supercars and exotics where the driver sits in a large cabin. Ever seen an F1/Cart crash? Many of them shatter to pieces during crashes but its the capsule that keeps the driver safe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts