China Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 accord EX with 4 cylinder V-tec engine. The automatic transmission in the car sucks. When I accelerate from 0kmh, I can't get the engine to 3000 rpm fast enough. I can only get the engine to 3000 rpm or higher on an open road or driving 100kmh or faster. On the highway I can get the engine to as high as 5000rpm. But when driving slow it's difficult to get it higher than 2500 rpm. Any one else have this problem?

·
Registered
450 Posts
with your foot all the way to the floor the gearbox should select the lowest available gear to maximise the rpm for the best acceleration. They call this 'kickdown', on some cars this is achieved by a separate switch or cable on the accelerator pedal. This used to be the case anyway, but with more modern gearboxes they are computer controlled so may not have the separate switch.

In most automatics you can manually select a lower gear by moving the shift lever back from D into 4,3,2 or whatever.

The automatics are always a bit slow from a standing start because of the way the torque converter works - they tend to start engaging at about 1500-2000 rpm so as you pull away that is all the revs you have.

They can pull away faster if you rev them in neutral and then select drive, but this is only recommended for rental cars!

With a few exceptions, automatics are not for sports driving.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine is fine and is very fast at around 80 kmh or faster. But from 0 -70 kmh , the auto transmission kills the engines power. The sound for the V-tec engine is amazing at 3000rpm or higher. Engine sounds from other comparable cars don't aren't even close. My only problem is getting the engine to at least 3000rpm at slow speeds.

·
Registered
807 Posts
hazik said:
The engine is fine and is very fast at around 80 kmh or faster. But from 0 -70 kmh , the auto transmission kills the engines power. The sound for the V-tec engine is amazing at 3000rpm or higher. Engine sounds from other comparable cars don't aren't even close. My only problem is getting the engine to at least 3000rpm at slow speeds.

so you have a honda and chery"?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ash said:
so you have a honda and chery"?

I bought the Honda in 1997 as a new car. They didn't have Chinese cars in 1997. I just bought a Chery flagcloud last year (2005).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts