China Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Write by Matthe Marsh

In mid-January the year ahead appeared quite full. I was looking forward to a fourth season in the Porsche Carrera Cup Asia and my third with A-Ha Racing. They had made a committment last August to continue in the series and ordered a new 997 Cup car which arrived in Malaysia in late January.

Then there was the Supercar Challenge. It looked likely I would be racing in this series of four races in China which caters for various sports cars on street tyres. The best part was that I would be re-united with my old A-Ha 996 Cup car. I raced this car for two years and we acheived a lot together.

And of course there was the Hong Kong Le Mans project which has been constantly in my mind for, well, I suppose about a decade!

Things started to go a little off course when A-Ha decided not to continue with the Carrera Cup Asia. Their involvement in the series had been part of a carefully planned brand marketing exercise and one which had proved successful. The focus for 2006 is on driving sales in China and thus it was decided a regional racing series was less relevant than before. The bad news then was a last-moment cancellation of my Carrera Cup season; the good news was confirmation of the Supercar Challenge in the trusty 996.

Then the Le Mans organisers, the ACO, released their second entry list which showed the first 38 cars to be invited - from a total of 50. Our Hong Kong team was not included. Whilst it was too early to start contemplating suicide this was certainly not good news.

The ACO's job is very tough: they had received 79 entries for 50 places - and 26 alone for the GT2 class in which our Porsche RSR runs. Indeed of these 26 GT2's some 16 were Porsches. Of course ours is the only entry from Hong Kong and would be the first team from Asia in the 74 year history of the 24-hours. Hopefully that will help us in our bid for selection.

The final entry list will be published very shortly after the Sebring 12-hours on March 18th. If you don't find the HK car on that list it's probably best to take care when walking close to tall buildings in Hong Kong. I won't be wearing a parachute...

·
Registered
35 Posts
fightingtorque said:
it's a shame. we need more asian entries in international competition, so that when the international competition comes to china the people can feel involved.

Sorry for the bad news.

I think China really needs to start developing it's own designers and engineers. That will lead to racing, which will lead to better products.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts