China Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope that someday soon we will be able to buy Chinese autos here in the USA. I am afraid that with all of the “scares” about China imports (Dog Food, Toys, Paint etc. . . ) it is going make people in this country not even consider a Chinese automobile. There are many things I see making the big brand autos here look better. One of them that is noticeable to me is a lifetime guarantee on the powertrain. This will lead to a whole lot of questions from consumers, maybe such as, “what kind of guarantee will the Chinese cars have?” I wonder if any imports that get in this country that are partnered with that "powertrain guarantee” company will also have the same type of coverage? You can buy virtually all imported goods from “Big Box” stores. You can buy Chinese ATVs here in this country. I have seen a lot of those online even with layaway options. Now wouldn't that be nice with automobiles? You can buy Chinese made generators here, but from what I can understand they have to be EPA approved. Maybe thats only in California? I really don't know. I will be one of the first in line to get a new Chinese automobile when they become available here. I have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma and it is gonna cost me in the range of 18 to 20 thousand just to replace it when I finally have to. The original cost was less than 13 thousand. I can probably buy Chinese auto for the price difference of the exact replacement of the 2002 to a 2008? /:)

·
Registered
196 Posts
lol... that's funny. sorry, but dog food (a thing that is eaten) and cars are a world apart. i don't think it's that much of a concern.

people do care about safety. no one wants to drive a death trap.

people car about warranties. they don't want the car to fall apart! Notice that cheap companies offer 10 years warranty. that's the only way people will trust the unproven cars.

American, Japanese, and German cars rule. Chinese cars will be the lowest when they arrive and are sold. they must be priced so cheap to be a success...

if you don't believe me, ask your friends.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I kinda agree with what alby13 said.

Japanese cars took advantage of the oild crisis of the 70s and took off from there.

Korean Hyundai after 20 years of struggle, recently gain some ground with the 5 years warranty.

I don't know what new approach Chinese side will adopt this time.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
We just have to wait and see, yes that is exactly what Chery is trying to do ,EdT . But will they get what they want ? keep finger crossed for Chery then.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For instance Kia as launched a new model in Europe the ceed, they offer a 7 year warranty for this and the tag price is lower than all competition

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If Chery can get the quality right then the warranty won't be a big deal since the car is of high quality major breakdowns seems to be very unlikely. But saying it now is too early too soon, as I said it is all up to Chery now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
vitordavid said:
For instance Kia as launched a new model in Europe the ceed, they offer a 7 year warranty for this and the tag price is lower than all competition
they have to follow the lead and do the same. a long warranty and a low price tag.

·
Registered
196 Posts
mememe said:
If Chery can get the quality right then the warranty won't be a big deal since the car is of high quality major breakdowns seems to be very unlikely. But saying it now is too early too soon, as I said it is all up to Chery now.
but think about it. it's not if the car breaks down or not. it's the peace of mind to the consumer! that's the selling side of it.

also, if the car doesn't break down, they won't lose money on a long warranty since they won't have to be fixing their cars often.

it's a win for both sides.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I agree, having bought two new Kia's since 1999, the Long-Haul Warranty is a nice addition to your car purchase. It instills more confidence in the brand's ability to satisfy their customers. I don't see why Chery would not want to up their Warranty's to at least extend somewhat towards Hyundai/Kia's. It's just good for bid-ness.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Chinese cars must take a 3-pronged approach.

- Make same cars for less money: the "value" approach.
- Provide a full lineup of Hybrid cars: the "green and different" approach.
- Electric cars that's fully comparable to gas cars: the "futuristic/high-tech" approach.

That is the only way to quickly enter into established and matured markets such as US and EU, and grow fast.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
@ Bringit

what you said sounds pretty easy but taking actions is another matter, but I think that Chery president knows what to do.

It would be miraculous/great if Chery can achieve the Lexus quality with the price of corolla and with funky design.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Many of us in n.america can bearly wait for the first autos to be sold, i just hopethey will be well priced in U$D because that currency is being devalued as we speak.
GM & Ford are lousy and overpriced, IMHO.

·
Registered
706 Posts
How about Chrysler? The minivan continues to sell but the Sebring washed-out badly in the mid-size sedans category. I can't wait to see the 2009 Dodge Hornet made by Chery Motors of China. I hope it is of good quality-I may be interested in one. But I'm not going to spend a truckload of money on a car that I don't trust. There's too many other choices out there that I do trust fairly well. New cars cost too much-hence, my interest in Chinese-built cars.

If Chinese carmakers can build cars that perform well, are safe and are economical to buy they will have a place selling them in the U.S.

I'm happy to come on this website and see how the various Chinese carmakers are doing along the way and to see all of the new choices that may or may not become available in the U.S.

·
Registered
24 Posts
alby13 said:
lol... that's funny. sorry, but dog food (a thing that is eaten) and cars are a world apart. i don't think it's that much of a concern.

people car about warranties. they don't want the car to fall apart! Notice that cheap companies offer 10 years warranty. that's the only way people will trust the unproven cars.

American, Japanese, and German cars rule. Chinese cars will be the lowest when they arrive and are sold. they must be priced so cheap to be a success...

if you don't believe me, ask your friends.[/QUOT

i kinda disagree with a few points; firstly, in the west dog food and cars are worlds apart, until they both carry a tag marked made in china. lets face it, china has had its struggles with quality control in the past and recently we have seen a great resurgence of those struggles. hence people are suspicious not so much of the product but who made it.

china cars will not succed in the usa based on pricing ,as it is a very competitive maket. like many of the korean cars which have come to be accepted, it will a long and tedious trek. hence, success will come over time and from cavalier persons, like "razorback" who are not afraid to take a chance in order to experience a difference.

·
Registered
196 Posts
sir wellington said:
alby13 said:

if you don't believe me, ask your friends.[/QUOT

i kinda disagree with a few points; firstly, in the west dog food and cars are worlds apart, until they both carry a tag marked made in china. lets face it, china has had its struggles with quality control in the past and recently we have seen a great resurgence of those struggles. hence people are suspicious not so much of the product but who made it.

china cars will not succed in the usa based on pricing ,as it is a very competitive maket. like many of the korean cars which have come to be accepted, it will a long and tedious trek. hence, success will come over time and from cavalier persons, like "razorback" who are not afraid to take a chance in order to experience a difference.
sure. so many things are made in china that exist in the west as items owned or being sold. what i'm talking about is cars are about the materials they are made of, and the way they are put together. we can see and experience these differences. just look at the review from car and driver on a chinese car in another post. i agree with you about china and the problems with quality control. when you talk about quality control, that means they won't let the car leave the factory if it isn't made well enough. the problem is that it's not that the car was supposed to be of higher quality and they let it go with lower quality. it's that the car was designed like that and they are okay with releasing it at that level of quality. it saves them money if they can get away with cheap design and cheap materials! take a look at safety tests that talk about metal being so thin holes can be punched through it. why are so many car designs copied? to save money and time! it's a basic idea, which i will talk about later. if you talk about dog food, who knows what it is made out of? our dogs eat that stuff. dogs are like part of the family here in the west. do i want a family member to eat something that i'm not sure about? no, i don't. a car is metal, plastic, glass. i'm not eating it. that's my point.

to me it seems the advantage in a chinese car would be that they can make it cheap, which means they can sell it cheap. i thought this was a simple concept. i think it's easy to see that pricing is a big part about what COULD make chinese cars a success! not only a success, but a quick success. maybe they want to match the quality of what is on the market. i'm sure that not all chinese car manufacturers will use the same strategy, though.

anyway, thanks for giving me something to write about :cool:

·
Registered
196 Posts
mememe said:
Well I guess we all know the meaning of "survival of the fittest"
survival of the fittest is what will ensure that the best chinese companies make it to the US car market.

i just wonder what level they will be at when they arrive.

·
Registered
706 Posts
survival of the fittest is what will ensure that the best chinese companies make it to the US car market.

i just wonder what level they will be at when they arrive.

That, indeed, is the $64,000 question that keeps me coming back to this website to learn as much as I can. New cars cost too much in the U.S. If the Chinese carmakers can make quality cars and sell them for half the cost of a Korean or Japanese import, I will perk my ears up like Britney Spears approaching a Taco Bell loudspeaker.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.