China Car Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Perceived quality is going to matter much more than actual quality in the first 5 years after hitting western shores. This is where "the dog food" matters, as consumers generally already have a mindset about products made in China. No offense, but we do tend to immediately think of super cheap plastic toys and such. Yes, China can make awesome stuff, but the mental thought process of

China = high quality & good value

just isn't there yet. In order to drop $10,000 on a device that can potentially kill you, people have to trust the company or country of origin through its other products.
I don't think it will matter if China brings a Corolla to the west if it is priced $500 below the Toyota. They'll have to bring a Corolla priced $5000 less than the Toyota in order to compete with it. Yes, people WILL pay that much difference for a Toyota name, even if all other things are equal.

(then again, maybe i'm just crazy. people will glady spend $80,000 on a piece of crap Jaguar! :D )

·
Registered
196 Posts
BigFatGuy said:
Perceived quality is going to matter much more than actual quality in the first 5 years after hitting western shores. This is where "the dog food" matters, as consumers generally already have a mindset about products made in China. No offense, but we do tend to immediately think of super cheap plastic toys and such. Yes, China can make awesome stuff, but the mental thought process of

China = high quality & good value

just isn't there yet. In order to drop $10,000 on a device that can potentially kill you, people have to trust the company or country of origin through its other products.
I don't think it will matter if China brings a Corolla to the west if it is priced $500 below the Toyota. They'll have to bring a Corolla priced $5000 less than the Toyota in order to compete with it. Yes, people WILL pay that much difference for a Toyota name, even if all other things are equal.

(then again, maybe i'm just crazy. people will glady spend $80,000 on a piece of crap Jaguar! :D )
i agree with you 100% about having a mindset about Chinese products. let's just talk about Chinese products as a whole to not get confused.

true, i will pay a large amount more to have a brand name because of everything it stands for. the price, or in other words the value, has to be attractive enough for me to buy it.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Brand perception is always important, it takes very long time for the consumers to change their view of a country's products. I mean , just look at Japanese cars of the 1957 all the way to the late 1960s, Toyota was literally struggling with the sales and bam, here come the oil crisis and it changed everything.

I believe there is a quicker way to change people's perception, that company must come up with some sort of breakthrough or technological revolution.

Ah ye and about the Chery A1 review, overall it is a good review there but it looks like Chery still has a lot of works to do to correct those flaws.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.