China Car Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting that VW was doing poorly in Australia then...

Here in the US, the Mk2 Jetta was a smash success. The Golf, not so much, because (American perception was that) hatchbacks were crapboxes, and were cheaply built and unreliable. THANK YOU VERY MUCH, CHEVY CHEVETTE. :mad:

The Golf did OK early on, because it was the entry-level model. But then, VW brought a rebadged Voyage (sedan version of Gol) and Parati (2-dr wagon version of Gol) to the US as the Volkswagen Fox, and that killed the base model Golf.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Originally VW had a factory in Australia 1950s to late 1970s, as VW closed the factory & prices went up VW sales went down drastically with only a less than hundred sold in the 1980s mostly of Transporters & GTIs.

Then VW bounced back abit through the 1990s, then when VW actually bought back importation rights back in 2001 after giving it away in 1980s, VW has grown to be No. 1 Euro importer and is chasing Kia for No 10 spot overall :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't remember, I was just surfing around drunk. Oh, man, I can't wait till people in China get access to more American products. You guys are gonna LOVE Kentucky Bourbon!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts