China Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering, how do you think westerners will accept Chinese car names(brand wise)? I know we accepted Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Subaru, etc. , but they aren't from the same language. Plus some sound kind of silly to us (Geely, Gonow,etc.). Anyway, I'd like to hear what people think, because I can't decide. Oh, and another thing, what about Chinese characters written on the car (as on most Chinese cars). :cool: :cool: :cool: :confused:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Cherry and Brilliance also sound bad. I think they will eventually take on but it will take at least a decade to get them established in Europe. Nanjing will be in much quicker with brands like MG and Austin because they are already reognised. In fact over 400 dealers in the UK and US have already said that they want to sell MG branded cars. I simply can't see Geeley and co having the same sucess so quickly...

·
Registered
325 Posts
mgrovernut said:
Cherry and Brilliance also sound bad. I think they will eventually take on but it will take at least a decade to get them established in Europe. Nanjing will be in much quicker with brands like MG and Austin because they are already reognised. In fact over 400 dealers in the UK and US have already said that they want to sell MG branded cars. I simply can't see Geeley and co having the same sucess so quickly...
I wonder if your parents generation thought that Toyota, Honda, and Subaru were funny names? All have been accepted eventually, how about European cars like Seat, Fiat, Vauxhall - all weird, but successful (except Vauxhall ;) )

·
Registered
627 Posts
WuzhengNA said:
Personally, I think "Wuzheng" has an amazingly good sound to it.

A truck can be called chicken sheit and it'll still sell. Nobody cares what the names of trucks are.

·
Registered
249 Posts
chinacartimes said:
I wonder if your parents generation thought that Toyota, Honda, and Subaru were funny names? All have been accepted eventually, how about European cars like Seat, Fiat, Vauxhall - all weird, but successful (except Vauxhall ;) )
They did think they were funny and they all took over 10 years to catch on. But Nanjing's MG brand will acieve this on day one in the US and North America. 400 dealers signing up or ready to sign says it all! How many do Geeley have?

·
Registered
198 Posts
phaeton said:
Gonow is the worst as has been discussed elsewhere in Gonow section for varies reasons.

Rest of Chinese names are fine IMO.
i am completely unaware of this brand. what hell is this brand?

·
Registered
24 Posts
chinacartimes said:
after four years of advertising by the company (china motors ltd.); a year and a half of driving my greatwall, people still stop me to ask what brand is it. normally when i tell them the usual remark is, "i thought that was a place in china". people snicker because there are no other accepted names than those already established. hence the chinese vehicles are good but good luck getting the names accepted without some silly comment.

·
Registered
507 Posts
sir wellington said:
after four years of advertising by the company (china motors ltd.); a year and a half of driving my greatwall, people still stop me to ask what brand is it. normally when i tell them the usual remark is, "i thought that was a place in china". people snicker because there are no other accepted names than those already established. hence the chinese vehicles are good but good luck getting the names accepted without some silly comment.
Well, Mercedez is a girl's name, Benz is someone's last name. Ford, Lincoln, Toyota, Honda, Porsche, etc. are all people's last names. Saturn is a planet, Jaguar is a big cat, and BMW is an acronym for a place in Germany that makes the cars. VW means "people's car" in Germany.

What I'm getting at is none of these names are superior or more original than the "Greatwall".

But they do have great products, and great products makes the name sound respectable, or even admirable.

Had "Greatwall" produced a Ferrari beating supercar, people will know and look at it in awe and admiration.

Don't be too concerned about the name, focus on the product. Produce superior products and the name will in turn be worshipped. It's that simple.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I think there's a Chinese car named "Bengton" which loosly translates to "galloping at high speed".

I thought that would be a cool name for a sporty Chinese car brand, because it sounds good both in English and Chinese. Of course I'd change the spelling a little bit by dropping the "g".

BENTON

I think I'd buy a Benton sports car, SUV, or sports sedan...

(Someone's gonna owe me royalty...? ;) )

·
Registered
176 Posts

Introducing new Blinding Flatulance by automobile Chery, it good run blinding so kidney. Man make you so run diesel on yes all whell on ground go. Handcream.

·
Registered
832 Posts
BringIt said:
Had "Greatwall" produced a Ferrari beating supercar, people will know and look at it in awe and admiration.

100% doubt it, for one Great Wall Motors can only build rebadge re-engineered 1980s or late 1990s 4x4s & now modern Toyota's nowhere near supercar quality :D

Tip
Mercedes was Karl Benz's daughter, BMW = Barvarian Motor Works.

Audi is a good name its Latin for "listen" ;)

·
Registered
507 Posts
phaeton said:
100% doubt it, for one Great Wall Motors can only build rebadge re-engineered 1980s or late 1990s 4x4s & now modern Toyota's nowhere near supercar quality :D

Tip
Mercedes was Karl Benz's daughter, BMW = Barvarian Motor Works.

Audi is a good name its Latin for "listen" ;)
man some of y'all are dense...

OF COURSE Great Wall can only make crappy knockoffs, we all know that, and people don't think highly of Great Wall because of it. Had someone come out with a supercar that rocks the Ferrari, and called it "Great Wall" or "ChangCheng" or whatever, people would take the name seriously.

Again, my point is, great products make the name, not the other way around.

And yes, I know Mercedes was Benz's kid, but it's still a girl's name, yes? I know a girl named Mercedes (a favorite name of strippers too ;) )

Barvarian is a location, yes?

·
Registered
832 Posts
BringIt said:
man some of y'all are dense...

OF COURSE Great Wall can only make crappy knockoffs, we all know that, and people don't think highly of Great Wall because of it. Had someone come out with a supercar that rocks the Ferrari, and called it "Great Wall" or "ChangCheng" or whatever, people would take the name seriously.

Again, my point is, great products make the name, not the other way around.

And yes, I know Mercedes was Benz's kid, but it's still a girl's name, yes? I know a girl named Mercedes (a favorite name of strippers too ;) )

Barvarian is a location, yes?
Me dense :D I knew what you mean't ;)

Yep agreed on product over name & you knew about MB & Bavaria :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts