China Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SHANGHAI WANFENG, one of the myriad of pick-up producers in China. Wanfeng offers traditionally styled pick-up's and SUV's based on old tried platforms.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Company introduction from Wanfeng website:

"Shanghai Wanfeng Auto is a non-state-owned share company specialized in manufacturing and marketing of medium-high Pickup Truck and MPV(Multi-Purpose-Vehicle) under Zhejiang Wanfeng Auto Group. It is located in Heqing Industrial Development Zone, Pudong, Shanghai , covering an area of 200,000 square meters. Established in June 2000, Shanghai Wanfeng adheres to the development strategy of “Overall Plan, Rolling Investment”, and has built up a market-oriented vehicle and engine manufacturing base in Shanghai .

Thanks to the support of Auto Group and our Research Center , and through the introduction of the latest manufacturing process and equipment, Shanghai Wanfeng now has the technological and financial strength to deliver a complete series of product to meet the market demand. On the product line are Single & Double Cabin Pickup, Carriage Truck, MPV(Multi-Purpose-Vehicle )and SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle).

On February 23, 2003, Shanghai Wanfeng completed its Second-Phase Expansion Project in Pudong, and successful launched its new product (SUV), marking a new develop stage for the company. The design of our General Assembly Line adopts advanced manufacturing technology, with a planned annual capacity of 50,000 vehicles.

Shanghai Wanfeng has established a sale and service network with more than 200 sale & service centers throughout China . The on going project of Shanghai Wanfeng Auto Mono-Brand Store and the “4S” Sale & Service Store aims to provide Wanfeng customers with comprehensive, responsive and outstanding service.

In 2003, the company will adheres to the concept of “Market Orientation, Quality Assurance and Innovation Focus”. Utilizing the company culture, the operating system and the financial support of Wanfeng Auto Group, taking advantage of Shanghai geographical environment and auto industry, Shanghai Wanfeng will keep on introducing the latest technology worldwide to deliver more new products. Shanghai Wanfeng is to be the leading domestic automotive company through its belief of “Trustworthy Wanfeng and Multi-win Strategy”, and the company aims to earn the top reputation in the service competition through the establishment of a professional, standard, convenient and economic service network."

Wanfeng website: http://www.wfauto.com

FACTS:

- Shanghai Wanfeng is a relatively new manufacturer, the company was
founded in 2000

- capacity is about 20 000 cars / year

- goal is to produce 50 000 cars / year in near future

- in 2004, 12 000 cars produced

- in 2004 the whole model range redesigned

- two factories are manufacturing cars

- workforce is about 670 people

- a company in Switzerland is negotiating with the company for importing
Wanfeng products to Swiss market

MODELS:

Currently ten models are offered by Wanfeng. These are:

Single Pickup:

- SHK 1022 M (2000- )

Double Pickup:

- SHK 1024 AM
- SHK 1023 AM (2004- )
- SHK 1020 AF

MPV:

- SHK 6520 M "Taiwei" (2004- )
- SHK 6471 M (2000- )

SUV:

- SHK 6483 M - 04
- SHK 6483 M
- SHK 6520 M
- SHK 6481 M

SOME PICTURES:

SHK 1020 AF

SHK 6520 M

SHK 6483 M - 04

SHK 1024 AM / AF

·
Registered
459 Posts
Its funny how it says "BMW GREEN" as a color option...

No offence intended but when is too many trucks and SUVs based on older Isuzu platforms enough? It seems to me that there are tons of these companies around and the only thing that differentiates all of the vehicles that they produce is the subtly different front, rear and interior styling.

·
Registered
280 Posts
There are too many truck manufacturers in China, this one isnt going anywhere. I think a good truck maker in China is Great Wall Motors.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
An alloy wheel maker

edge said:
There are too many truck manufacturers in China, this one isnt going anywhere. I think a good truck maker in China is Great Wall Motors.
Wanfeng specializes in alloy wheel manufacturing and was just approved as a global supplier of wheels to General Motors.
In 2002 the SUV's displayed in Beijing had some serious wavy sheet metal issues. Hopefully they have corrected this by now. Their SUVs and pickup bodies, like other small volume producers of light trucks, appear to originate from Fudi. Perhaps someone can confirm this?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, the bodies are made by Fudi. Check my "Fudi" thread :nod:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
the industry shake out begins

After Wanfeng sales dropped sharply from last year, the company halted production in April and is looking for a buyer says the Shanghai Daily.
The paper reports that total China SUV sales dropped to 163,000 in May.

And so I'm guessing Great Wall and its SUV competitors are scrambling to develop alternate models just to remain afloat.

starex said:
Another one similar to Xinkai, Dadi or Great Wall..
Yes, Starex they are similar as are the models produced by Tianma, Shuguang, Huabei, Gonow, Foton, JIncheng, Xindadi, Yangzi, Yema and others.
All seem to be based on the ubiquitous Isuzu-based design adopted by the body maker Nanhai Fudi. But new designs, alternate models, and yes, mergers too, are a must for these small players to survive. Oil price hikes have precipitated a shake out.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think the strategy for companies like Baoding dadi, Fudi, Tianma, Heibao, ETC. is "One isuzu clone per country". Thats chinas plan for world domination LMFAO :)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
LMAO but unfortunately, US EU and Japan will not let the Isuzu clone plan become a reality, so this plan will be aborted soon.

·
Registered
146 Posts
not nessecarily. The EU nations might let them pass since they already are cooperating with chery and stuff. And as for the yanks & the japs, well screw them. These manufacturers dont need those two. If they want to conquer america then go to south america central america mexico canada bermuda and the carribiens. And who wants to do business in japan anyways??? South korea is better I think.

Actually north is even bettr.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I will give you an example: My goal is to start a Bolivian Automobile Company. Now I do not have a factory, factory workers, or Nessecary parts. I DO happen to have buildings around the country that I can use for my distribution network however. So lets say I call up...hmm idk...lets use Xinkai as an example. So I go to the kingstar.biz site & try to get Xinkai in my country but with my own brand name on it (Like the ipod style players that are sold in USA as coby or something). Xinkai, however, wont hear of it. Thankfully for me I was also in negotiations with Baoding dadi and Fudi who will be most obliged to help me out as long as theres good profit. But I also need a saloon car, so what do I do? I can consult soyat, but they wont agree so Im out of luck right??? Well then I head to Jiangnan and negotiate with them the same way I did with dadi. And if worst comes to worst, I'll import DPRK's Hwipharam as Autobol lmfao.

In reality I am in negotiations with Baoding dadi but My plan is that if the profit is very great, then maybe one of these companies can help establish a small factory in La paz and help train my men for a more prosporus joint venture. But where would I be if Companies like Tianqi, Qingling, ETC. didnt exist?? Probably handcrafting kitcars to sell to my people lol. Thats why I love these small factories that specialize in the wholesale Vehicles: By using his incredible genius and wisdom, A 19 year old kid went from a mere university student to the biggest automobile tycoon in the Andes!!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Yes, Joest you are right. Nothing new here. But in addition to producing alloy wheels Wanfeng has the coveted license to produce vehicles. So it may make another go at it, despite the outdated Isuzu technology.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts