China Car Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
proximal said:
Still not enough. Your phone may do all of those things well enough for you, but unless your phone has audio adjustment features and wide format support in a 60+ gig package I'll stick with a dedicated music player. You can whine all you want; no phone out there is good enough for some people.

And since I already disproved your claim that the battery isn't replaceable: if the iPod's sound quality is so bad, why do so many people at forums like head-fi and hydrogen audio have them? Why does it seem to do so well in RMAA tests?
You're kidding right? You're obviously one of those millions of victims of Apple's marketing hype. Please read up on a few hi end audio forums for enlightenment and expand your limited knowledge horizon.

Just FYI, my phone music player supports has better audio fidelity and supports a tons more audio related features than the cheap chinese made IPod that Jobs and his chinese slave labors are pushing on herded and blind folded sheep.

Open your eyes to this (phone's audio portion of the feature set):
Channel support (Stereo, Stereo swapped, Mono Join, Mono left, Mono right).
Preamp descrease, increase, clear.
Audio driver, wave output null audio.
Support for multiple audio streams within a given audio file.
Adjustable buffer size.
Enable music playback in the background.
Audio Equalizer in following bands (60 Hz, 170 Hz, 310 Hz, 600 Hz, 1 Khz, 4 Khz, 6 Khz, 12 Khz, 14 khz, 16 khz, and pre-amp)
Support for various popular audio stream standards (shoutcast, mms, http).

Come on, IPod that!!! The POS ipod doesn't even have a builtin speaker for Christ sake. Yeah, this POS must be the best audio player on the planet cuz' its sold 60 million copies and made in China!!! (sigh, what a bunch of sheep those 60 million people). This must be the same logic ppl use to claim that toyota corp. make the best cars since there are more of 'em on the road (camrys, lexuses, etc)

And let me remind you again if you have forgotten my previous post, the audio features are just a tiny subset of the features (wifi, gps, dish channel remoting, bluetooth keyboard, etc...) that my now over a year phone has.

So please refrain from commenting on stuff that you have no clue on.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Copying................

I only have one comment......................at least the Chinese are smart enough to NOT copy YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
asdfzxcv said:
You're kidding right? You're obviously one of those millions of victims of Apple's marketing hype. Please read up on a few hi end audio forums for enlightenment and expand your limited knowledge horizon.
Actually, if you did any research, you'd know that the iPod Shuffle is regarded by many (including "audiophile" forum head-fi) to be the best sounding digital player ever. You might also find stuff like RMAA results (compare with a Creative Zen Xtra, well known for excellent sound quality) that test the quantifiable aspects of sound reproduction. Ipods have improved a lot over the years.

Now let's talk about what Rockbox brings to the iPod on top of that. I'll use the list of things you've talked about.

Channel support: Stereo, mono, custom, Mono left, Mono right, karaoke
Preamp: -12 to 12 dB in .1 dB steps
Adjustable buffer size: 8 settings, 5 s - 10 min
Enable music playback in the background: Yes, when browsing photos or playing games
Software equalizer: 5 band parametric, 20Hz - 20 kHz in 10 Hz steps, 0.5 - 6.4 width in .1 steps
Hardware equalizer: currently 2 band (5 band WIP), similar adjustability to software eq
Format support: MP3, Ogg Vorbis, MPC, AAC, WAV, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, Wavpak, Shorten, MIDI, some others I can't remember

Oh yeah, and then there's the Replaygain support, crossfade, and gapless playback. And if you're so concerned about sound quaity, why are you using a tiny built in speaker?

By the way, I also have an iRiver H120 that I've been using for the past year and a Rio Karma I got three years ago. Excellent players, but not enough space and Rockbox makes the iPod at least as good featurewise and noticably better when it comes to sound quality.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Rockbox makes the iPod at least as good featurewise and noticably better when it comes to sound quality.
It's amusing that you were first questioning the presence of my phone's audio adjustment features and after learning that it totally outshines the stock IPods as an audio player now you are bringing out 'rockbox' which is an open source hack firmware replacement for many of the audio players out there, including iriver, ipod, etc. just to make your ipod argument look on par!

You are reaching here! Not only rockbox isn't a supported solution from Apple but flashing your ipod with rockbox also voids the warrenty. Sure you can argue that rockbox has been throughly tested not to brick your ipod but come on you know as well as I know that most people aren't going to use the hack. What's even more misleading is the fact that rockbox doesn't even work on the latest ipod gen 5.5. at least not yet.
tsk... :nono:

And you may claim that builtin speaker isn't a very useful feature for an audio player like ipod (which many ipod users would disagree with you, just google for ipod builtin speaker) but the next ipod (gen 6, true video ipod) most likely will include builtin speakers. What does that tell ya?

It should be painfully obvious to you now that the chinese made ipod isn't as good as my one year old phone when it comes to play music without resorting to hacks. Isn't that sad for Apple and chinese slave labors?

Again, it confirms that apple and chinese manufactures only know how to follow and copy when it comes to audio players. (isn't that a surprise to anyone really?)

Now that I think about it, Apple and Chinese hardware firms do share that one common trait, the ability to copy other people's idea. Let us review, shall we? Apple copied computer pointing device now known as mouse from xerox and also the originial graphics user interface. They copied micro-kernel architecture mach from Carnegie Mellon. And the evidences of chinese hw firm's copying ventures are too many to list here...

Apple and cheap chinese hw firms deserves each other!

·
Registered
65 Posts
asdfzxcv said:
It's amusing that you were first questioning the presence of my phone's audio adjustment features and after learning that it totally outshines the stock IPods as an audio player now you are bringing out 'rockbox' which is an open source hack firmware replacement for many of the audio players out there, including iriver, ipod, etc. just to make your ipod argument look on par!
Your phone still doesn't include gapless playback, the most requested audio player feature and something Apple added to the iPod recently. I mentioned Rockbox in my very first post in this thread, so I'm not bringing anything new out. Although Rockbox works on many players (I'm running it on my iRiver as well), none of them have the hardware equalizer like the 5G iPod port does. I know the iPod's sound customizability is more or less nonexistant out of the box, and I wouldn't own one if I couldn't mess with it at all. But that aside, the sound quality out of a stock iPod is far from poor. Look at the RMAA results compared to other players. Have a look around head-fi's portable audio forum, where the shuffle is almost universally well regarded and larger iPods are a favorite among many people. I've got three MP3 players myself and another 4 or 5 in my household. I've used all of them extensively and the stock 5G iPod is definitely in the upper half as far as sound quality goes.

Rockbox works on the 30 gig 5.5G now. It just takes a bit more work.

The "true video iPod" would have a speaker because it's primary purpose is video and not audio. On something with a tiny screen like your phone or the current iPod, video is not a priority. If your device is first and foremost a music player (like the current iPod), you can't just shove a speaker on there. Not everybody that owns an iPod cares that much about sound quality (hence the aftermarket speakers) but that doesn't mean it doesn't sound good. It's like what you said in the other thread about BMWs being better. Very few people who buy them care that they handle better than the equivalent Lexus, but that doesn't change the fact that they do.

If you want to talk about copying in audio players, let's talk about the absolutely terrible touch strips on some Creative and iRiver players. It's basically an attempt to say "See? We have touch sensitive controls too!" at the expense of a useable interface. The could have done what Toshiba did and actually think it through. I got a Toshiba Gigabeat S60 yesterday, and the navigation is brilliant (unfortunately, that's about the only good thing about it).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Your phone still doesn't include gapless playback, the most requested audio player feature and something Apple added to the iPod recently.
It sure does! I wouldn't even call my phone an audio player without gapless playback and crossfade. I didn't list them as those are some of the most basic features. How can you listen to old time radio without gapless playback? You mean Apple couldn't even do gapless playback on previous gen ipods? Jez, I guess Ipod was even worse of an audio player than I originally thought. :eek:

On something with a tiny screen like your phone or the current iPod, video is not a priority.
What's what I thought until I got my phone last year. Seriously, the 2.4 inch qvga screen on the phone is simply beautiful, a sight to behold. I watched a bug's life and episodes of CSI on my plane ride last week and the guy sat next to me couldn't stop gushing about how well it looked. It really helps in easying the boredom. And before you ask, the battery life is way enough to watch a full length movie and with plenty of juice left for phone calls.

This phone does everything an ipod does plus a ton more if you only comparing them in the audio side, not to mention a zillion other features that ipod doesn't do.

For starters, the ipod doesn't support media streaming. It is an important feature and I used it everyday on my phone. I'd stream mp3s, video from the storage server in my basement and listen to 'em on my phone. Alternatively I can also remotely control which songs plays on my desktop from my phone while sitting on my tub. The phone supports shoutcase, icecast, etc so I can litterally listen to thousands of stations on the net with ease.

People have been downloading radio programs from the web and listen to them on their portable players for ages... but when ipod comes out ppl start to this existing feature as podcasting. Big applause to Apple's marketing department for taking an existing function and call it their own.

Anyways, the irony here is that, my phone is a much better podcast player than Ipod, since I can stream it to my phone instead of ipod heads downloading the entire recording first then upload to their ipods. :)

Again, as I have repeatedly demonstrated that ipod just plain sucks just like millions of other chinese made products. They sell well simply because of the fact that most people are sheep and listen to whatever the hype ppl tell them.

This really makes me sad... I have a passion for cars, for gadgets, for well made innovative products. I change my car every 3 years, my phone around once every 9 months (although I have the current phone for over a year now.) Unfortunately more often than not, great innovative products often gets drawn out by the noise from the mass hype and wouldn't get the attention they truely deserve. Copycat and me too products from likes of Apple, toyota and most of those made in China really are taking markets away from true innovators. Thats' why I am against China making me too cars. We don't need to have camry or lexus made cheaper by the up and coming chinese car manufactures. What we the end user need are BMWs but made with better handling and more fun to drive.

Come on ppl!!! Stop being bunch of sheep. Demand better products not cheaper products now!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
asdfzxcv said:
What's what I thought until I got my phone last year. Seriously, the 2.4 inch qvga screen on the phone is simply beautiful, a sight to behold.
I know that, your phone has the same screen size and resolution as the iPod and its competitors. But it is still first and foremost a music player. If you want something to just play video (and I'll agree with you that a speaker would be nice in that application) the screen is still too small. The smallest thing that I would actually call a video player is probably the Archos 404, which has a 3.5" screen and isn't that much larger physically than an iPod. And I am really surprized that smartphones running Windows Mobile are gapless, since Windows PMC cannot. Your phone still costs more than a dedicated music player though (correct me if I'm wrong- the Cingular 2125 is $399) with a fraction of the capacity. And I never really liked convergence devices like smartphones, but I haven't really been keeping up with the technology as you can probably tell.

Back to your original points though, the iPod's battery is replaceable and I've linked you to evidence that the sound quailty is there. Do people buy them for the wrong reasons? Yes, but that doesn't make the product itself bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
proximal said:
And I am really surprized that smartphones running Windows Mobile are gapless, since Windows PMC cannot.
Defending ipod till the bitter end... :)

Well, check out the following link http://www.pocketmind.com/pocketmusicsp.htm if you still are not convinced that my phone plays audio better than ipod, note the gapless playback and crossfade feature.

Your phone still costs more than a dedicated music player though (correct me if I'm wrong- the Cingular 2125 is $399) with a fraction of the capacity.
Don't get Cingular 2125 as it doesn't have wifi and same goes for 3125 though it looks better than 2125. If you are in US, the SDA is almost the same phone as my sp5m.

You may find sp5m cheaper than ipod on the net. And again with wifi storage space isn't an issue as I can always stream contents from my server if I needed more than 2gb of space. You'll run out of space on your 80 gig ipod before my 1.2 tb server.

And I never really liked convergence devices like smartphones, but I haven't really been keeping up with the technology as you can probably tell.
A single convergence device is in everyone's future. It's a matter of when not if! I have been there with the hassle of giggling multiple devices phone, audio players, pda while carrying numerous chargers, adapters and whatnots on the road so I know what most ppl are going through now. Once you have experience the likes of sp5m like I have you'd never go back. A stand alone audio player like the ipod is a dying breed and has no place in the future! And even Apple knows that as they are coming out with their chinese made IPhone next year.

·
Registered
481 Posts
now open , the chinesemp3forums.com
IPod , Iphone , Imac , Ibook , Imic , Imouse , Ikeyboard , Isuck , Iwife
Ibot , IPet , Ishit

seriously Apple is started to feel lame , I always felt that owning a MAC or using something from APPLE should be something considered as ELITE , but nowadays I am starting to think otherwise .

·
Registered
450 Posts
asdfzxcv said:
And I just used tom tom on my phone (via bluetooth) for my travel today. It's gives me turn by turn voice direction and I frequently use it to find the closest ATM for my bank when I am on the road. Honestly, I couldn't really live without my phone's GPS app.
love TOM TOM eh?

see where that's made then. fuel.

·
Registered
481 Posts
LOL @ Torque
ROAAR ! :p

21 - 31 of 31 Posts