China Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
China loves soccer and Formula racing but will baseball and NASCAR ever make a dent in China?

Four hundred million plus for the new Shanghai Circuit is quite a serious investment.

And how do Chinese feel about cars racing in an oval?

NASCAR used to be just for the good ole boys from Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina etc.. But that's history. It's now spread north to Maine and west to California, and who knows, it might just keep heading westerly across the big pond (Pacific Ocean) to East Asia.

Maybe Daytona's 500 winner of yesterday, young Kevin Harvick (a Californian), will live to some day drive against very talented Chinese competition.

I'd bet that talent of the future is diligently honing their skills as I write this.....

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
I personally cannot believe the stupidity of driving around making left turns for a few hours. Mind-numbing.

As an American, I know I am in the minority with this, but I'd rather watch grass grow. More exciting.

Give me F1 racing, motocross, hell, skateboarding over NASCAR any day.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I wish to formally apologize to all fans of Nascar Racing.

Yesterday, I posted a negative review of my thoughts on NASCAR. Clearly I am in the minority in my country with these feelings, and it is obvious that I am in the wrong. Going in circles making left turns for hours on end clearly takes skill, determination, guts of steel - and this is just for the fans in the stands trying to stay awake.

In a hateful email sent to me yesterday by Buford S Armpit of Amarillo Texas, Buford states eloquently "Yeah, uh, you try it ass****, you suck!" .

Well, there you have it. Can't argue with that. In another email from a crew chief of an up and coming NASCAR team, Billie Bob Joe Steve Hank Beerstain from North Carolina wrote "The cars we are buildin are really good, technilog, uh, techni, um, techniloghif, um, really neat. For the 2008 season, the cars on the tracks will all have cruise control so the drivers can fall asleep without crashing. Oh, and you suck"

NASCAR - The most expensive sport in the world that makes no sense.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I used to be an F1 enthusiast, that was until I discovered NASCAR.

Who'd have thought there was a form of motorsport that involved close racing, overtaking, more than three different winners per season and, most importantly, always the chance of a massive 20-plus car pile up?

Give me NASCAR over any other form of motorsport, any day.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think Chinese drivers should relate a little to NASCAR, after all, they drive like NASCAR drivers EVERY_SINGLE_DAY!

·
Registered
41 Posts
NASCAR was raced on a F1 track here in Montreal this year, first time out of the US.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
nascar will eventually become big in china, baseball and japan worked. Western trends are very accepted in China, and perhaps it will be small proportionally to its potential in the chinese market, but it definately will sustain a presence

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well i am not Chinese, i was born in Portugal. I like motorsports. In fact i liked more when i was a kid in the 1980's.
Rally was great with those unsafe cars peugot 205 gti, lancia delta hf, audi quatro, uno turbo ie.
The great formula 1 races with mansel, prost, senna, de angelis, lauda...
Now its just a matter of money, who invest more whins in 99% of the races. In the good old days was more fun.
Today if a watch 1 formula one race a season is enough, 20 years ago i watched all.
Nascar and Indy are 2 american 4 me, i dont see a point in this.

·
Registered
146 Posts
BOOI dont thin

k NASCAR will work. Honestly the whole oval thing really dosent excite me. However, with that being said I think that motorcross will be ideal for chinas best auto companies (geely, soyat, jiangnan, hafei, ETC>) so all good luck to them!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
u are incorrect, the chinese are known for adapting to all things especially western. they will adapt to nascar, football nfl, ice hockey, cricket etc

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Daytona 500 is tomorrow, its also the 50th anniversary of the race at Daytona on the track, and this year Toyota is on the front rows. It will be interesting.

To understand NASCAR one needs to understand where NASCAR comes from. Its the "good ole boys" that at one time ran "white ligthning" with modified cars to outrun the revenuers. Racing was a way to see who had the fastest car, who was best at modifying "stock cars".

Junior Johnson is the iconic personality that reflects the roots of NASCAR, Richard Petty represented the old style family racing business which was started by his father Lee.

Dale Earnhardt and Richard Childress were the last of the single car team, and represented the traditional NASCAR as it was evolving into the modern NASCAR of multi car teams.

Watch the "great american race" tomorrow....it will be exciting and interesting.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't see it happening. Americans are getting tired of it before it even leaves the continent. Ratings are down, and one of the manufacturers is thinking of pulling out since it has no relevance to their cars anymore.
I watched the D500 and was bored to tears for the first 170 laps. After that it got interesting, but the rest of the season will suck.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
NASCAR-induced boredom

I'm afraid you are right Bigfatguy.
Although they all out there to win, many drivers are no more than dead wood, looking to only win some more endorsements, royalties, and speaking engagements. They've already made a name for themselves (or their family has) and now they're just playing it safe, hanging back in spots 30-40, and getting in the way of some real racing.
That said it's still got great potential anywhere it's run, and enjoyed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
um... nascar.... not really.... racin for hours around a circle..... it gets very very boring somehow... unless u are talkin about circuit racing yea that'll do... but only the rich can play this game though...

as for baseball.... its gettin bigger, but i dont think china has much of a basebal fields

1 - 19 of 19 Posts