China Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it same person?

why so much competition...shouldnt all asian producers, korean,chinese,japanese and maybe even indian be cooperative and mainly take stake from US first
?
before hating on each other?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi i just joined today, and am not i hate china,

Also competition is a good thing (xbox and ps3 for example)
what we have with china and korea is not competion but dependence on Japan to make cars electronics. India is the same, bajaj and lml scooters are based on Piaggio italy and their truck of Merc Benz designs. Competition is a good thing (lexus vs 7 series vs s class), outright copy as happens in china is shameful. this is a observation i hope others will see and agree and debate about instead of labeling me as anti chinese and delete my posts.

Cheers
micheal:thumb:

·
Registered
834 Posts
god_bless_japan said:
Hi i just joined today, and am not i hate china,

Also competition is a good thing (xbox and ps3 for example)
what we have with china and korea is not competion but dependence on Japan to make cars electronics. India is the same, bajaj and lml scooters are based on Piaggio italy and their truck of Merc Benz designs. Competition is a good thing (lexus vs 7 series vs s class), outright copy as happens in china is shameful. this is a observation i hope others will see and agree and debate about instead of labeling me as anti chinese and delete my posts.

Cheers
micheal:thumb:
Micheal you will definitely spark debate :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Dear Phaeton, i do believe china will be like Japan one day very soon, but the plagerism thats going on currently in the chinese auto industry is frankly very shameful. :(

·
Registered
314 Posts
well if critique/devils advocate helps China design better cars which the chinese can drive proudly anywhere in the world instead of being asamed of it then i will help as much as i can:) to put it another way China can keep Japan/germany from getting arrogant (overpriced$$) and threat/competion is a good thing for evry car buyer. China to take justified criticism and fixing thier plagerism is a good thing for the car buyers of the future.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
god_bless_japan said:
well if critique/devils advocate helps China design better cars which the chinese can drive proudly anywhere in the world instead of being asamed of it then i will help as much as i can:) to put it another way China can keep Japan/germany from getting arrogant (overpriced$$) and threat/competion is a good thing for evry car buyer. China to take justified criticism and fixing thier plagerism is a good thing for the car buyers of the future.

lol real i hate will be happy that he has some support on a pessimistic perspective of chinese cars:nod:

·
Registered
121 Posts
when china's leaders decided to jump-start its auto industry, it basically turned a blind eye towards the blatant copying that resulted. i believe that the basic reason for this is that china wanted automobiles fast, very fast in order to meet the demands of the chinese people. the resulting copies were never meant to be exported, let alone held up as shining examples of chinese technology. i believe that the chinese are not particularly proud of these products. that is the very reason why regulations have been put in place to somehow control a situation fast spinning out of control. that's why they have a buddy system set up in the auto industry in china. they produce western models as well as locally-branded models. part of the deal allows the local partner to use dated technology & design of its western partner. all of this is basically fueled by the raging demand in the local market. so, the chinese don't copy because they like to, they copy because they have to-in order to meet local demand.

·
Registered
121 Posts
you're very welcome. i believe that one has to look at the recent history of china in order to appreciate the things that are going on there, even in the auto industry. we all applauded the opening up of china to the west, global corporations fell over themselves to sell their products in china simply because it was the biggest market in the world, & the chinese began to appreciate western goods & conveniences. they then began to produce them themselves-okay, in many cases started copying things they needed & wanted w/out permission. but, who told them that they had to get permission? the official line was-to produce is good, productivity equals self-sufficiency. how these goods got to the western markets was not due to the export outlook of the chinese, it was principally western companies who, driven by the profit motive, saw china as a cheap source of production & started the whole thing. you don't see many export representative offices of say, the fujian woolen booties knitting company (a fictitious company, i might add) in major cities, they don't have the marketing skills yet to do so. its the western companies that coming knocking on their door & ask if they could produce woolen booties to their specs at half the cost.

the analogy is, to a certain extent also true in the auto industry. for a very long time, 4-wheeled transport that wasn't commercial was limited to high-ranking officials & military officers. when china began opening up to western goods, guess who began producing cars in china-the usual suspects-GM, Ford, Toyota, et al. but the avreage chinese couldn't even dream of owning one of these products then, until enterprising companies like geely, chery, etc. began producing copies & selling them at a price w/ch the chinese could afford. the west gave the chinese the appetite for western goods, now the west blames them for
producing these goods at a lower price. we applaud the capitalistic urge to consume, yet we deride the products that feed the urge.

·
Registered
314 Posts
chinoy54 said:
the analogy is, to a certain extent also true in the auto industry. for a very long time, 4-wheeled transport that wasn't commercial was limited to high-ranking officials & military officers. when china began opening up to western goods, guess who began producing cars in china-the usual suspects-GM, Ford, Toyota, et al. but the avreage chinese couldn't even dream of owning one of these products then, until enterprising companies like geely, chery, etc. began producing copies & selling them at a price w/ch the chinese could afford. the west gave the chinese the appetite for western goods, now the west blames them for
producing these goods at a lower price. we applaud the capitalistic urge to consume, yet we deride the products that feed the urge.
i like the way u explain things, very clear and to the point, the above quote really explains some of the reasons why these enterprising compaines sprang up. So tell me this when the japanese, usa build cars in china, why was the price high for the chinese not to be able to afford them, was it chinese govt taxes or the foreigners were greedy??

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with Japan that it is bad that Chinese car makers copy, but lets not forgot how Toyota, Mitsubishi and many Japanese car makers started. They all were copied from European and American designs. No Japan is not like I_Hate_China (thank goodness) lol.

·
Registered
314 Posts
RiseOfTheRev01ution said:
I agree with Japan that it is bad that Chinese car makers copy, but lets not forgot how Toyota, Mitsubishi and many Japanese car makers started. They all were copied from European and American designs. No Japan is not like I_Hate_China (thank goodness) lol.
very true, but the Japanese also studied their european and US competition and discovered ****** in thier armour, like british cars had very bad after sales back up in USA. Japanese smanufacturers sorted this issues very quickly and took on Europe and Usa and won. The Datsun 240z single handledly dealt the MG, jaguar a death blow in the american market and america loves datsun 240Z. Subaru legacy/impreza copied Audi quattro/ lancia delta 4wd system and made a better car.

I see no such unique ness with chinese manufactuers against their EU/US/japan competition. i would even argue that japan gives JV with chinese companies to keep China dependent on Japan(engines,chasis etc) and so that china do not develop/invest and become more independent/ self sufficient

·
Registered
198 Posts
god_bless_japan said:
very true, but the Japanese also studied their european and US competition and discovered ****** in thier armour, like british cars had very bad after sales back up in USA. Japanese smanufacturers sorted this issues very quickly and took on Europe and Usa and won. The Datsun 240z single handledly dealt the MG, jaguar a death blow in the american market and america loves datsun 240Z. Subaru legacy/impreza copied Audi quattro/ lancia delta 4wd system and made a better car.

I see no such unique ness with chinese manufactuers against their EU/US/japan competition. i would even argue that japan gives JV with chinese companies to keep China dependent on Japan(engines,chasis etc) and so that china do not develop/invest and become more independent/ self sufficient
Japanese cars may look like dominating the US market but in Europe? NO, not even close!

I rarely see Japanese cars on Paris' streets, 60% are Renault, Peugeot and Citroen, another 30% are Opel, VW, Mercedes, BMW, Audi etc, a fraction of around 3~5% are actually Japanese brands.

·
Registered
121 Posts
how right you are, tiggo. you have to pardon our fellow forum member god_bless_japan. our good friend has the tendency to base his comments on observations plucked out of thin air, very nearly, but not quite, figments of his imagination. some facts are there, i agree, but largely taken out of context.

·
Registered
121 Posts
"I see no such unique ness with chinese manufactuers against their EU/US/japan competition. i would even argue that japan gives JV with chinese companies to keep China dependent on Japan(engines,chasis etc) and so that china do not develop/invest and become more independent/ self sufficient"

your comment belies a basic ignorance of the chinese auto industry as it develops at the present time. and the conclusion you derive from the whole joint-venture philosophy is insulting, if not laughable. first of all, the chinese companies did not start off begging the japanese for joint-venture arrangements, they were doing very well supplying the local market w/ old japanese & american technology, ok-copied outright-from prototypes brought to china in the era before deng. dongfeng, faw, yuejin, baic ( now foton motor) were producing for chinese market way before the japanese were in the market. now, i'm talking commercial vehicles here, cars were only for big shots. the first successful joint-venture w/a foreign brand was the vw/saic tie-up, w/ch even up to now is producing the santana in the hundreds of thousands-almost all taxis are santanas. when the market opened up, the japanese saw china as the world's biggest untapped market, & together w/ everyone else made a beeline for joint-venture companies. japanese-branded products are not very popular in china, GM & Hyundai outsells even toyota, imagine that. there is & will always be the lingering antipathy towards japan because of ww2 & japan's refusal to apologize for, or even acknowledge their past transgressions , & the chinese have, as their ultimate goal, to out-japanese the japanese. if anything, the japanese had to make the ultimate sacrifice, share their technology w/ a rival whose ultimate goal is to surpass them, all for a chance not to be left out of the biggest single market in the world. the chinese could have done to the japanese what they did to boeing in china. the chinese gov't ordered all chinese regional airlines to shift their orders from boeing to airbus, but they didn't do this to the japanese out of the goodness of their hearts, also i suspect because the chinese are pan-asiatic, & still favor asians to non-asians.

so, it will be the chinese, i think, who will have the last laugh when toyota will no longer be a japanese company because it was the subject of a hostile takeover from shanghai automotive. this could happen. look at rover, now part of nac.

·
Registered
70 Posts
chinoy54 said:
... it will be the chinese, i think, who will have the last laugh when toyota will no longer be a japanese company because it was the subject of a hostile takeover from shanghai automotive. this could happen. look at rover, now part of nac.
Following Shanghai Auto's trillion dollar takeover of Toyota, GM suddenly swop in and took ownership of Shanghai and then asset stripped it to bail the Chinese out of insolvency :D

Ok, this fantasy story will continue...who's taking over?

·
Registered
121 Posts
i'm not saying that this will happen, i'm only pointing out that, given the right conditions,etc. this could be a possibility. don't forget that saic has joint ventures w/ some big names in china, gm being one of them. for all you know, at the time that gm takes over toyota, to take your point further, it may already be owned by shanghai auto.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts