China Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Gas-electric hybrids are a transition technology. The next big step may be fuel cells, which require electric running gear. The electric motor experience gained from producing gas-electric hybrids will help improve the first mass-market generation of fuel cell vehicles...when they arrive.

I don't recall any automaker stating that hybrid vehicles were anything other than a stepping stone to better technology.

·
Registered
101 Posts
BringIt said:
No, you can't save money. To replace a dead battery will cost you $4,000.

Even if the battery last forever, I still don't see how I can't save more money by buying a small car, like the Aveo or Fit, even a base Civic or Corolla.
The batteries will last quite some time.

And the Prius is far larger than the Aveo, Fit, Civic, or Corolla. In the US, the interior space makes the Prius a mid-sized car...like the Camry or Accord. When you compare it to those cars for value, the Prius isn't that expensive.

And saving money isn't the only reason to buy a Prius. How about just using less fuel? How about polluting less?

·
Registered
101 Posts
gr8 said:
i think hybrid is kinda stupid, the future is going fuel cell anyways. remeber when zip disc first came out? Now everone is using cd's.
Here's the difference. A zip disc and CD have very little technology in common, but a fuel cell vehicle and a hybrid vehicle both use electric motors. Advances in electric motor (and battery) technology that comes from hybrid vehicles can transfer to fuel cell vehicles. If and when the market converts to fuel cell vehicles, hybrids will provide the advancements necessary to make them better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
WuzhengNA said:
Completely, 100% correct, with the exception of the word "may be". Because the next step WILL be fuel cells.
"May be" remains in my vision of the next step in powertrains because of the cost of hydrogen. If/when the cost of hydrogen can be reduced to a reasonable level and the vehicles running on it meet targets, then it will be the next step. But these are huge obsticles to overcome. It's not a certainty yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts