China Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Japanese still has an edge (because they were in it before the Koreans did but the Koreans are closing the gap although that won't be an easy job). The Chinese had a good headstart in third world market but it remains for us to see how the Japanese and Koreans plan to fight back there. Suprisingly, most of the world has a very good opinion of China and its people.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Only established countries, who are afraid of a rich and powerful China, spew hatred and lies about China and her people.

Most other countries do have a good opinion of China - and why not? For China don't get in their business or take advantage of them, and is inspirational to them.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Btw, Japanese cars are way better than the Koreans, but Koreans beat them on price and warranty, so when it comes to the most important factor, value / bang for the buck, they're a wash.

Once Chinese cars enter the scene, with a much lower price and longer warranty and free maintenance, Chinese cars will beat them all in value, and the consumers will notice. (And that is the ONLY way to go)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think it depends on the brand. Honda and Toyota are certainly still ahead, but Hyundai is fast catching up in quality. Kia is still behind. However, I think Hyundai may have already surpassed Nissan, Mazda, Subaru and other traditional Japanese carmakers (I know not all of these are owned by Japanese anymore).

Chinese carmakers still have ways to go before it can compete head on with Japanese brands or Hyundai. However, I think a window of about 10 years is reasonable. China's carmakers are very ambitious and their development is astonishing, it's more than I expected actually.

Yes, China has a good image amongst developing countries. The reasons are obvious. Many developing countries can identify with China, which is a country that was once humiliated by colonialism and Western imperialism, but has been able to rise up again and has made huge strides against poverty and achieve a huge level of development. I think these are all problems that many developing nations can identify with and China's successes are an inspiration for them. China's model definitely is more fitting for them than the neoliberal policies advocated by Western nations.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nissan and Mazda hardly qualify as Japanese cars, basically they sell modified Peugeots/Fords.
I wouldn't want one even if they were for free :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
If they're free--I'll take a 350z please. They are not that bad and I'd still own one before a korean car right now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
BringIt said:
Only established countries, who are afraid of a rich and powerful China, spew hatred and lies about China and her people.

Most other countries do have a good opinion of China - and why not? For China don't get in their business or take advantage of them, and is inspirational to them.
Just remembering how american did not hesitate to drop atomic bomb on japanese civilian targets not once but twice due to racism. America treat all other races as inferior, witness treatment of arabics in mideast, blacks and hispanics in america.
They stood by and allowed horid atrocities by japan against korea and china in order to divide and conquor.

·
Registered
89 Posts
bassfisher said:
Just remembering how american did not hesitate to drop atomic bomb on japanese civilian targets not once but twice due to racism. America treat all other races as inferior, witness treatment of arabics in mideast, blacks and hispanics in america.
They stood by and allowed horid atrocities by japan against korea and china in order to divide and conquor.
..Wow..

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
bassfisher said:
Hi Bassfisher, Please calm down and try to not be as harsh.
Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
edge said:
Many developing countries can identify with China, which is a country that was once humiliated by colonialism and Western imperialism, but has been able to rise up again and has made huge strides against poverty and achieve a huge level of development.
First of all, the declaration of independence of the Unitied States was written based on Biblical principles. God delivered America from the detestable, self-righteous godless English slave masters.

The British Empire was a greater evil than modern day America. So were most of the Europeans during the 18th -19th centuries - Romans, French, Germans... you name it -they are all in the history books. Please remember that the English colonized two thirds of the world during its heyday. They subjected the locals to slavery and took custody of their lands. The spirit of imperialism is still pretty much alive amongst the older English white population today.

What rights have the Europeans got now to criticize the Americans?

·
Registered
183 Posts
renyeo said:
First of all, the declaration of independence of the Unitied States was written based on Biblical principles. God delivered America from the detestable, self-righteous godless English slave masters.

The British Empire was a greater evil than modern day America. So were most of the Europeans during the 18th -19th centuries - Romans, French, Germans... you name it -they are all in the history books. Please remember that the English colonized two thirds of the world during its heyday. They subjected the locals to slavery and took custody of their lands. The spirit of imperialism is still pretty much alive amongst the older English white population today.

:D It's funny. All Asia were doomed by european or us at that time. And now?
We're too busy to hate each other (China,Japan,Korea) while european countries become EU. :D

·
Registered
280 Posts
renyeo said:

When did I say the Europeans were angels? I know very well how deceptive the British were.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Um...

oo4load said:
Nissan and Mazda hardly qualify as Japanese cars, basically they sell modified Peugeots/Fords.
I wouldn't want one even if they were for free :D
Okay first of all, Nissan is affiliated with Renault, not Peugeot, and though some of their cars are on shared platforms, they still are quite different from
Renault's models. Second of all, though Ford has (a lot of)stock in Mazda,\
Mazda is still independant , contrary to popular belief. Also, though it wasn't true in the 90's, nowadays, Mazda's cars are quite unique, in fact they're so good, Ford's decided to use the Mazda6 platform on its own cars (and Mazda used the Ford Focus/Volvo S40 Platform for the Mazda3). Platform sharing and badge-engineering are two different things.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello all. I've been lurking for a while, and I finally registered and thought I'd talk about the *original* topic of this thread. I'll warn you, it'll be a long post.:)

Let me tell you about my korean car. About a year and a half ago I bought a 2001 Hyundai Accent hatchback with 39k on it for about $3900 US. Sounds like a pretty good deal, right? It was barebones for the most part, though it did have A/C and a tape deck. It's the 'L' model, so it has the 1.5l SOHC 12v engine and a 5-speed manual. It's funny, the podunk car lot I bought it from didn't charge for 'dealer prep'... because they didn't do any dealer prep. It was a repo, and boy was it filthy. Anyway, decent enough for an economy car and when I bought it, it was pretty much all that I needed.

Well, I lost my job about two weeks after I bought the car. I needed work, so I joined up with a courier company. Basically, I drive about 250-300 miles a day. You'd think it would be perfect, right? Easy to park, good gas mileage, no complicated electrics to fail, etc.

Let's start with the good, as there are some good things about this car. What surprised the heck out of me is the seat. I'm in my car a good 9 hours a day, so a comfortable seat is important. The seat is possibly the best one I've ever seen in a car, and I've driven Volvos. All the controls are logical; Honda-like, really. You can carry four adults comfortably as long as the people in back aren't too tall. Gas mileage was a bit of a surprise, too. The EPA rating is 35 mpg highway, so I expected it to be a few mpg below that in daily driving. I average 40. The stereo sound quality is great also. Another surprise, because a Hyundai Sonata I rented once had atrocious sound quality.

Now, the disclaimer. I just rolled over 150,000 miles yesterday, so I'll concede that I might be just a *touch* hard on my car. I'm in stop and go traffic about half of my shift. I start my car about 15 times a day. I've hit curbs, smacked into other cars and in my first week, I almost drove into a ditch. And by 'almost', I mean 'actually'. :) That doesn't let it off the hook, though.

Here's the bad stuff, and there's lots. At 85,000 miles I had to put in a new transmission and a new clutch at the same time. No advance warning, no noises, nothing. One morning, I suddenly couldn't get it into first or fifth gear. Not fun when your day starts on the highway! Now, I can hear all of you thinking "Maybe you don't know how to drive a stick." Fine, but this is my seventh manual tranny car. Of the six others, only one of them even needed a clutch replaced and that car (A Chevy Sprint) had 140,000 miles. I poked around the internet and found some people needed new clutches or transmissions on this particular model of Accent at 30,000 miles.

I've spent lots of money on the front brakes. The passenger side caliper in particular likes to seize frequently. I had to replace the mass airflow sensor, and when I did, the replacement sensor lasted exactly one day. Stalling out every time the car comes to a stop is SUCH a joy. Now the front axle is making noises, and the transmission is starting to die again.

Enough of the mechanical issues. Let's move on to fit and finish, shall we? The plastics are terrible. I would go so far as to call them 'sub-Yugo'. You can literally gouge the door panels with your thumbnail. Oh, and they all started out grey but are now changing color, such as blue in the trunk area, and a *lovely* shade of booger green for the steering wheel, which is starting to crumble. The driver's door is losing its seal not because the rubber seals are bad, but rather the body has warped and flexed so much that at highway speeds it sometimes sounds like the wind will rip the door off any minute. The car is so noisy that you have to shout to the other people sitting next to you.

So with all of these issues, would I buy another Hyundai? Well, I'd consider it. If I had done any research before I bought this one, I would have bought something else so I'll admit I was in error. The info about the transmission was easy enough to find. Also, I spoke to a Hyundai mechanic and he told me the issue was only with the 1.5 engine which they dropped around 2003. Apparently the 1.6 has a different 5-speed, though I can't confirm that. He also told me the Tiburon has had problems with the 6-speed manual and its clutch. I've spoken to Elantra and Sonata owners who have had no problems. Bottom line, I won't rule any automaker out based on just one experience.

As far as Korean vs. Japanese cars, the Koreans still have a ways to go.

·
Registered
183 Posts
fhrblig said:
As far as Korean vs. Japanese cars, the Koreans still have a ways to go.
I agree. When Hyundai brought the new model, I thought wow they're getting closer~~~ then a couple of month later .... Japanese brought their new cars as well.. Opps..... So, I'm really wondering now whether Hyundai can really overtake with Japanese cars unless Whole japanese car manufactures decide to go holidays for many years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Japan has the innovation and technology that is ahead of Korea. It will take a long time before another Asian country to surpass them in the auto making industry.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts