China Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yan Zhen
2006-06-26
THOUSANDS of people crowded the 2006 Job Fair for Returned Overseas Chinese in the city on Saturday.

Most of returned job seekers with advanced degrees were hampered by their lack of working experience.

At the annual fair held in Pudong New Area, nearly 2,000 job openings were posted by nearly 40 recruiting companies, universities and research institutions - such as eBay China, Philips China, Donghua University and Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences.

Most of the vacancies were mid-to-senior level management positions such as vice president, program director and chief engineer, which require a qualified overseas background and at least 5 years of working experience.

Forsun High-tech Group, a local privately owned company, was seeking an international business development vice president with annual payment of 1 million yuan (US$123,457).

A successful applicant should be an overseas Chinese with at least 10 years' working experience in Fortune 500 companies.

Such jobs attracted a large number of resumes. But most applicants were from fledging overseas university graduates.

"We are impressed with applicants with advanced degrees. But more importantly, the candidates that we are looking for should have hands-on experience at foreign auto manufacturers," said Zhu Qingmin, human resources manager of SAIC Motor Corp Ltd.

"Otherwise, I would prefer hiring domestic university graduates, which is more cost efficient for the company," he added.

The city has launched a second round of overseas recruiting this year, to attract 10,000 overseas Chinese to return to work in the city within two years.

Li Zhi, who flew from Britain to attend the job fair, said China's booming development lured her back.

"I know it is hard for us inexperienced returnees (to find job), but positive economic environment here is sure to present us more opportunities than foreign countries do," said Li, an April Master of Biology graduate.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Forsun High-tech Group, a local privately owned company, was seeking an international business development vice president with annual payment of 1 million yuan (US$123,457).

A successful applicant should be an overseas Chinese with at least 10 years' working experience in Fortune 500 companies.
$120K for a former Fortune500 vice-president? Are the Chinese for real or are they this clueless?

And what the point of recruiting ex-GM and Ford employees when ex-Toyota and ex-Honda employees are the prized ones????

·
Registered
305 Posts
YOU are clueless....................

Real_I_Hate_China said:
$120K for a former Fortune500 vice-president? Are the Chinese for real or are they this clueless?

And what the point of recruiting ex-GM and Ford employees when ex-Toyota and ex-Honda employees are the prized ones????

OPEN YOUR EYES AND READ, China hater!! The ad stated "looking for 10 years EXPERIENCE with a Fortune 500 company"!! In other words, they are NOT looking for someone who was ALREADY a vice president, but they WILL offer someone who has had experience with a Fortune 500 company (presumably 10 years) a vice-president job!!

You ALSO underestimate the loyalty of the chinese people........even someone who has lived overseas for 10 years or so could very easily go back to their home country - ESPECIALLY for a job like the one advirtised!!

Finally, who are you to say that ex-GM and Ford employees are NOT "prized ones"?? I will be the first to admit that ex-Honda and Toyota employees WOULD be highly sought after due to the success of these two companies...................but Ford and GM have ALSO had their share of success as well (the Ford Focus is a respected world car and Chevy/GM trucks are also famous - ALONG with the prestige of Cadillac). Ford AND GM both have MANY years of expereince and ex-employees from either company could be of IMMENSE value to most any chinese auto company......as could ex-employees from Toyota and Honda as well.

China hater, UNTIL you have something constructive and NOT insulting to add to this forum (and I would CERTAINLY classify you calling the chinese "clueless" as INSULTING), why don't you just SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

·
Registered
772 Posts
You ALSO underestimate the loyalty of the chinese people........even someone who has lived overseas for 10 years or so could very easily go back to their home country - ESPECIALLY for a job like the one advirtised!!
"Overseas Chinese" are not Chinese citizens; they are ethnic Chinese of other nationalities. The person that ad was looking for was a US citizen(US firms do not hire Chinese-nationals as managers based on US locations, only as engineers) with 10+ years of working experience in a Fortune500 company, who suddenly felt the desire to quit his comfy job and take a massive paycut to move to China. Not a very attractive proposition, isn't it?

Finally, who are you to say that ex-GM and Ford employees are NOT "prized ones"??
If they were prized ones, then GM and Ford would not be in trouble they are in today.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
"Overseas Chinese" are not Chinese citizens; they are ethnic Chinese of other nationalities. The person that ad was looking for was a US citizen(US firms do not hire Chinese-nationals as managers based on US locations, only as engineers) with 10+ years of working experience in a Fortune500 company, who suddenly felt the desire to quit his comfy job and take a massive paycut to move to China. Not a very attractive proposition, isn't it?

If they were prized ones, then GM and Ford would not be in trouble they are in today.

You are a complete idiot. Many of the Chinese returning to China bring their experience to BUILD THEIR OWN BUSINESS. Not to work for someone else. That means they are doing something far more productive than simply "taking a job".

You are really a goddamn idiot. You have no idea how much the Western science industry depends on ethnic Chinese, and now there are large numbers heading back to China to do business or doing China-related business in the West. The science industry in China is booming.

I used to work in a major Biotech firm and roughly HALF of the scientists were Chinese, MOST of these were from mainland China who had come to the US to do their graduate studies. About 20%were Indians, and about 15% were Europeans, and the rest were White Americans. There were no Koreans.

You are really one clueless goddamn moron with their head plugged into the ground.

·
Registered
772 Posts
You are really a goddamn idiot. You have no idea how much the Western science industry depends on ethnic Chinese, and now there are large numbers heading back to China to do business or doing China-related business in the West. The science industry in China is booming.
Read what I wrote in my previous thread.

US firms do not hire Chinese-nationals as managers based on US locations, only as engineers
You are free to delete your thread now.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
Read what I wrote in my previous thread.

You are free to delete your thread now.
You are a goddamn idiot. Notice I said that most Chinese nationals returning back to China OPEN THEIR OWN BUSINESSES. This is precisely to escape the racist glass ceiling prevalent in the US economy. Anyways, this reality in fact helps both the individual and China's development as a whole.

Go to hell, you goddamn moron.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Notice I said that most Chinese nationals returning back to China OPEN THEIR OWN BUSINESSES.
Most of Chinese national returnees are engineers/scientists, not Fortune500 business executives. Fortune500 companies do not hire Chinese as managers in their US operations, but that company was looking for such person.

This is precisely to escape the racist glass ceiling prevalent in the US economy. Anyways, this reality in fact helps both the individual and China's development as a whole.
Not Chinese automotive industry in this case. There are few Chinese in the US automotive industry to begin with. Furthermore, the best ones working for the likes of Toyota and Hyundai are the ones trained inhouse fresh out of college, not recruits from somewhere else.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It's NOT about money..........

You know China hater, not EVERYTHING in this world is about MONEY. You mistakenly assume that potential applicants would be "turned off" at the salary being offered - but I have NEWS for you.........there ARE people in this world that look at the QUALITY of a job or the OPPORTUNITIES of a job as more important factors than JUST MONEY. Besides, there ARE other incentives that can be offered that probably weren't mentioned - potential stock offerings, the opportunity for quick advancement (which would then translate to a higher salary), performance bonuses, luxury housing (and today's luxury apartments in China are EVERY BIT as luxurious as anything in the USA, something you would have no idea about since YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO CHINA), etc........in any case, MONEY might not be the prime motivating factor for some of the applicants.

I can speak from personal experience regarding this concept.......I chose to take a lower salary here in China than I had in the USA. Why? Because I have MORE "creative freedom" than I EVER did in the USA, and I have opportunitities here that I would NEVER get in the USA. In addition, even though my salary is lower here than my former american salary my life here is actually MUCH better due to the much lower costs lof living. The same will be true for the person(s) who accepts this vice-president job....the salary might be lower from a direct comparison standpoint, but the QUALITY of life here will concieveably be higher.

China hater, if you would stop living life for the WRONG reasons (insulting people, their way of life AND THEIR COUNTRY, creating arguements and in general just being a negative ass) and started living life for the RIGHT reasons you might just understand what I am talking about. Sadly though, I don't think you will - you like to insult others too much so you can feel better about yourself.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
There are few Chinese in the US automotive industry to begin with. Furthermore, the best ones working for the likes of Toyota and Hyundai are the ones trained inhouse fresh out of college, not recruits from somewhere else.
Did you ever visit Cummins Engine? Oh, no, I remember one of your posts from some time back - you've never been inside a vehicle or engine plant.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
Most of Chinese national returnees are engineers/scientists, not Fortune500 business executives. Fortune500 companies do not hire Chinese as managers in their US operations, but that company was looking for such person.

You are a real idiot, you know that? Who said that only Fortune 500 executives can start up businesses? Yes, most Chinese who return to China are engineers/scientists, but they start their own businesses when they go back.

Stop twisting facts, you Korean piece of shit.

·
Registered
280 Posts
jmsteiny said:
You know China hater, not EVERYTHING in this world is about MONEY. You mistakenly assume that potential applicants would be "turned off" at the salary being offered - but I have NEWS for you.........there ARE people in this world that look at the QUALITY of a job or the OPPORTUNITIES of a job as more important factors than JUST MONEY. Besides, there ARE other incentives that can be offered that probably weren't mentioned - potential stock offerings, the opportunity for quick advancement (which would then translate to a higher salary), performance bonuses, luxury housing (and today's luxury apartments in China are EVERY BIT as luxurious as anything in the USA, something you would have no idea about since YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO CHINA), etc........in any case, MONEY might not be the prime motivating factor for some of the applicants.

I can speak from personal experience regarding this concept.......I chose to take a lower salary here in China than I had in the USA. Why? Because I have MORE "creative freedom" than I EVER did in the USA, and I have opportunitities here that I would NEVER get in the USA. In addition, even though my salary is lower here than my former american salary my life here is actually MUCH better due to the much lower costs lof living. The same will be true for the person(s) who accepts this vice-president job....the salary might be lower from a direct comparison standpoint, but the QUALITY of life here will concieveably be higher.

China hater, if you would stop living life for the WRONG reasons (insulting people, their way of life AND THEIR COUNTRY, creating arguements and in general just being a negative ass) and started living life for the RIGHT reasons you might just understand what I am talking about. Sadly though, I don't think you will - you like to insult others too much so you can feel better about yourself.
Very true. There is so much more out of a job than simply the salary. And for ex-pats living China, life is pretty damn good. Not only is your salary extremely high relative to the costs of living, but you live in luxury and get to take part in the most exciting economy on earth. So where's the problem?

A lot of people like working in China because it is "where it's at" right now. It is the most exciting country to be in because it is so vast and huge, and it is growing so fast and changing so much. People want to be a part of this, they want to be a part of something that's big and larger than life. They can't get this by staying in the United States or in Europe. There is just so much raw excitement and energy in China because of the rapid change and growth, not only economic growth but vast social changes sweeping the country. And this with the background of one of the world's longest civilizations and diversity of regions and cultures, it's simply the most exciting country to be in. And salaries are only one aspect of a job, many go to work in China expecting to find OTHER opportunities besides their jobs and maybe start their own businesses and stop working for others. There are plenty of reasons and opportunities to be in China, it is limitless.

Of course, someone like China Hater who just sticks in front of his computer on many dateless nights would never understand this. He is focused on his little Korean Pride trip, and focused on putting down the Chinese car industry, which he DOES see as a threat to the moderate achievements that the Korean car industry has made in recent years. It is obvious we are dealing with someone with no real life experience, who sits in front of a computer all day and couldn't get a date even if his own mom set him up.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Who said that only Fortune 500 executives can start up businesses?
That was the specific job description; a vice president candidate with at least 10 year experience in a Fortune500(Preferably a high tech) company willing to work for a fraction of his former salary and a bad living environment.

You know China hater, not EVERYTHING in this world is about MONEY.
Well it is for Chinese.

there ARE people in this world that look at the QUALITY of a job or the OPPORTUNITIES of a job as more important factors than JUST MONEY.
Well, stock option was not listed on the job description.

potential stock offerings
Unlikely. This would have been spelled out.

the opportunity for quick advancement (which would then translate to a higher salary)
Well, the next position up from vice-president is president. So unless the president was looking for his replacement candidate this is the dead end.

I can speak from personal experience regarding this concept.......I chose to take a lower salary here in China than I had in the USA. Why? Because I have MORE "creative freedom" than I EVER did in the USA
That sounds strange indeed. Any kind of freedom in China? You don't even got the freedom of speech there. You cannot shout "I hate Mao and Commies! Free Tibet" in the street of China without getting thrown in prison.

In addition, even though my salary is lower here than my former american salary my life here is actually MUCH better due to the much lower costs lof living.
Of course, as long as you are not a family man and don't have two kids to send to school.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
Well it is for Chinese.
Actually, that's a more accurate description of Koreans. Who are the most materialistic, superficial, image obsessed people on earth. And everyone who deals with Koreans know this.

That sounds strange indeed. Any kind of freedom in China? You don't even got the freedom of speech there. You cannot shout "I hate Mao and Commies! Free Tibet" in the street of China without getting thrown in prison.
You obviously have never been to China. Yes, there are still many political lines you cannot cross, but many people do criticize the govt nowadays. But anyways, although political freedoms are stunted in China, social and economic freedoms are comparable to the West. There are many creative things going on, Chinese cities are amongst the most dynamic in the world. Of course you wouldn't know that because you are an ignorant, socially challenged Korean geek who lives with his mom.

·
Registered
280 Posts
LESSONS IN DATING:

How to romance a girl:

Take her on a picnic by the beach, bring wine, look into her eyes, read her poetry about her beauty and soul.

How to romance a KOREAN girl:

Tell her you make a 6 figure salary.

·
Registered
772 Posts
A lot of people like working in China because it is "where it's at" right now.
Of course, high growth = lots of money to make.

salaries are only one aspect of a job, many go to work in China expecting to find OTHER opportunities besides their jobs and maybe start their own businesses and stop working for others.
Which is another way of making money. The only reason anybody would want to be in China right now is to make money.

But starting an auto company is not something you just decide to do after getting up from your bed one morning, unless you happen to be a billionaire.

There are plenty of reasons and opportunities to be in China, it is limitless.
Then all those returnees should have found jobs. They haven't, and I hear Chinese unemployment rate is rather high.

He is focused on putting down the Chinese car industry
I am simply stating factual informations.

You may see Cherys and Geelys rolling on the streets of China as mordern cars ready to take on the world. I see them as obsolete and unsafe illegal replicated vehicles that break down even before warranty is over.

But anyways, although political freedoms are stunted in China, social and economic freedoms are comparable to the West.
Of course Chinese historically only cares about making money.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
Of course Chinese historically only cares about making money.

This is why HISTORICALLY in the Confucian tradition, merchants are placed at the LOWEST end of the social order?

If Chinese only care about money, why is it the repository of one of the world's greatest literary and philosophical traditions? Nearly every cultural tradition that Koreans have is based on or influenced by Chinese culture. If Chinese are only concerned about money historically, please explain this?

As usual, you are just a stupid ignorant kid. Shut up if you're just going to spout useless garbage.

And Koreans are by far the most materialistic and superficial people on earth. Everyone who deals with Koreans know this, they are just plain obnoxious and cold.

·
Registered
772 Posts
This is why HISTORICALLY in the Confucian tradition, merchants are placed at the LOWEST end of the social order?
Confucianism played a little role in Chinese history. And Chinese emperors who did adopt confucianism did so selectively, only those parts that benefit their rules, like "obey your king absolutely". And of course foreign emperors did away with confucianism entirely.

If Chinese are only concerned about money historically, please explain this?
The fact that China had a prosperous commerce industry throughout history disproves your theory. After all, money equates power, and how could those with money and power occupy the lowest social lanking?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
Confucianism played a little role in Chinese history. And Chinese emperors who did adopt confucianism did so selectively, only those parts that benefit their rules, like "obey your king absolutely". And of course foreign emperors did away with confucianism entirely.

The fact that China had a prosperous commerce industry throughout history disproves your theory. After all, money equates power, and how could those with money and power occupy the lowest social lanking?

Are you even educated? Confucianism played a little role?? Confucianism was the CENTRAL philosophy in Chinese culture for centuries. Even when Mongol and Manchu emperors ascended, they adopted Confucianism to become Chinese and rule China. You have absolutely no credibility. Stop speaking out of your ass when you are stumped.

Yes, China had a prosperous commerce industry but merchants were rarely part of the government like they were in the West. Although they were wealthy, they were looked down upon as being morally inscrutable and they were considered the lowest on the social order based on Confucian philosophy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.