China Car Forums banner
201 - 220 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
renyeo said:
Is it good to say Chery fell in love with DCX and ditched Malcom and poor Malcom had to let the designer go?
I think you're way off the scent, here.

Kenneth Grant was never an employee of Malcolm. Read the article carefully: CHERY set up an LLC directly with Kenneth Grant. Visionary Vehicles did not. Malcolm couldn't let Kenneth Grant go if he wanted to, because Malcolm never HAD him.

So the real question here is why was Kenneth Grant dealing directly with Chery. Why was Visionary Vehicles being bypassed as the employer for Kenneth Grant?

My guess is that Chery had already realized that Malcolm is a con-man and that Chery had no viable future with Visionary Vehicles. Chery didn't want to put Kenneth Grant on the sinking ship of Visionary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ling-Ling said:
I think that Chery simply gave Malcom the boot because he was taking too much control over the whole joint venture. Chery obviously had their own plans in which Malcom was simply getting in the way of.
Don't forget that they never even got to the point of having a joint venture.

I think Chery just plain realized that they didn't need Malcolm. Or even that they would be much better off without him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
RiseOfTheRev01ution said:
Okay, that is more progress than most countries. And that's just stuff I know of living in america. Tianemen was not a mistake, any government responds harshly when its rule is threatened, expcially its very existance. Even in the US we have had similar incidents.
Which incidents have we had in the US that are similar to tiananmen?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
gr8 said:
this is now a asian country political debate thread. :( :( :nono: :nonoplz ppl i really dont want to see Chinacarforum like this. just wrap it up now.
Couldn't agree more gr8. There's a place for this kind of irrelevant though interesting discussion it's called,

"Off Topic"

But somehow this banter never seems to find its way there. Instead it gets in the way of the intended purpose of this forum.....

a discussion of Chinese cars and China auto industry-related topics...

Pouring through the maze of these threads makes it difficult, and time-consuming, to get down to the real good stuff of the forum.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Malcolm Bricklin's advice to Chery : You will fail in the US if you continue the path

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=118191

Blame Game: Bricklin Blames Chinese for Import Plan's Failure
Date posted: 12-05-2006

STORY TOOLS Print this Save this Digg this!
Email this Most popular del.icio.us

NEW YORK — Malcolm Bricklin on Tuesday issued a statement decrying the quality of Chinese cars, blaming his partner for the failure of an ambitious plan to import Chinese cars into the U.S.

"The crux of our decision came from the realization that the Chinese need to learn that you cannot develop cars for the Chinese domestic market and then upgrade them for the North American market," Bricklin said in a statement. "You must, instead, build for the North American market and then de-option for other markets, never having two standards for quality since great quality is the only option."

Bricklin's Visionary Vehicles said it has "ended plans to enter into a joint venture with Chery Automobile Company to manufacture and distribute Chery vehicles in the United States."

Although he was short on specifics, Bricklin said Visionary Vehicles will "design a line of automobiles developed in concern with design/engineering firms to be formally retained early in the new year."

What this means to you: You probably haven't heard the last from Malcolm Bricklin, even though he has taken his ball and gone home from China.

·
Registered
450 Posts
hater, when bricklin was with chery you wanted to rubbish everything he said.

now he's fallen out with them and consequently slinging a bit of mud at them you are quoting his word as gospel.

don't you think that's a bit lame mate?

I don't care, this is what I'm driving now!

·
Registered
772 Posts
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stories/120806/bus_2006120828.shtml

Suit slams Chery practices

Web-posted Dec 8, 2006

Designer's lawyer: Chinese must learn Western ways

By JOSEPH SZCZESNY
Press Automotive Editor

Lawyers for a local automotive designer say Chinese companies have to learn to abide by Western business practices, such as not breaking contracts.

Daniel Swanson, attorney for Kenneth G. Grant Jr. of Northville, said Grant signed an operating agreement when he created a new firm, Design Grant LLC, from scratch at the behest of Chinese Chery Motor Co. and Malcolm Bricklin's fl edging New York-based Visionary Vehicles.

Grant said at a news conference Thursday that he had prepared sketches of several potential vehicles for Chery and Visionary.

Chery had asked him to become its North American design chief but wanted to maintain a low profi le, so it asked him to set up a new company. At the urging of Chery executives, Grant said, he lined up space for a studio in Northville, on the Wayne-Oakland County border, and began recruiting employees to fi ll the jobs required to run an independent design studio.

No job offers were ever made to other designers before Chery terminated the project in September. But by then, Grant had given up his interest in Ferndale-based design firm Stola NA and passed up other opportunities, including a chance to become Toyota Motor Corp. North American design chief.

Grant's lawsuit, which was fi led in Jackson, didn't ask for specifi c monetary damages. But Swanson, a lawyer with Sommers Schwartz in Southfield, said the operating agree- ment signed by Grant included the stipulation that he was to be employed for fi ve years at $300,000 annually. "He was also supposed to get bonuses," Swanson said.

When Chery and Visionary ended the project, however, they maintained they owed Grant nothing. Chery told him they had decided to instead pursue a joint venture with DaimlerChrysler.

"The told me that they were going with Chrysler and that I was on my own and they had no obligation to me," Grant said. "I'm not eager to take legal action, but I haven't been left with any choice."

Representatives from Chery and Visionary Vehicles could not be reached for comment.

Swanson said the agreement clearly states that in a dispute the matter will be settled in a Michigan court, specifically the circuit court in Jackson County where Chery has a legal representative.

"Chery is in Michigan," he said. "Chinese companies are very much welcome here, but they've got to play by American rules."

Grant is a former designer with the Ford Motor Co., and worked on designs for the Mustang and Thunderbird in the 1990s before becoming a consultant.

Bricklin, founder of Visionary Vehicles, confi rmed this week that his original plan to import cars made by China's Chery Automobile Co. no later than 2009 has collapsed. Chery will not build a car for Visionary to distribute in the United States, he said.
He was an idiot to ever trust Chinese.

The golden rule of doing business with Chinese. Never Trust Chinese, a contract is a piece of paper to wipe their ass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They All Deserve Each Other

Kennth Grant has had numerous business ventures prior to Design Grant LLC that left thousands upon thousands of dollars left unpaid to banks, suppliers, employees, and subcontractors alike! His M.O., take off and open up something new and leave. Hello Malcolm Bricklin Jr.. His pity party at being screwed out of a $300,000 salary is laughable. Best of luck collecting from the Chinese government.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stories/120806/bus_2006120828.shtml

He was an idiot to ever trust Chinese.

The golden rule of doing business with Chinese. Never Trust Chinese, a contract is a piece of paper to wipe their ass.
You are either someone below 18 years old, or your company went bankrupt because some Chinese businessman just pwned you.

The golden rule of doing business in Asia is doing business with Chinese and Japanese.

No one gives a major whadayacallit for yer little Republic of Kimchiland.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
Yin Tongyao is a greater con man than Malcolm could ever hope to be.
Yo loser,

why don't you just spend a little bit more time in those Kimchi car forums like the official forum of KIA(Killed in Action) automobile, you don't even care about cars of your motherland or somethin'?

Like me, even I don't actually HATE Korea, I don't visit any Korean automobile forums, because simply I don't give a major "F" for Korean cars.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Whoa cool Lotus bro! Engine bay seems abit grubby but everything else looks to be in tip-top shape, good on ya :cooool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
rumblings said:
Kennth Grant has had numerous business ventures prior to Design Grant LLC that left thousands upon thousands of dollars left unpaid to banks, suppliers, employees, and subcontractors alike! His M.O., take off and open up something new and leave. Hello Malcolm Bricklin Jr.. His pity party at being screwed out of a $300,000 salary is laughable. Best of luck collecting from the Chinese government.
What other messed-up business ventures, other than Stola, did Grant have previously?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Tiggo: good to see you back and straight into it!

Axle, I have only recently acquired this one and will take note of your suggestions. As well as chipping it and changing 'a few bits'.

Cartimes: lmfao, as they say.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hello

Real_I_Hate_China said:
Before that to happen the the communist government must fall.

There is no developed nation run by a totalitarian government.

Since I can't imagine the communist party giving up its power, I don't think China will be able to become a developed nation.

Sins of totalitarianism, moral corruption, and human rights violation eventually take a toll on China's growth.

hi I'm a new comer here. basically i have spent almost a whole day browsing this site. quite interesting...i am a Chinese and i'm proud of being a Chinese.

As this guy said "in my opinion", this "China hater"(in short) might have some misunderstanding or prejudice towards China. alright let me tell you the China i see.

sure there is no developed nation run by a totalitarian government, but there was, the Soviet Union by that time. of course in the future i dun know. It is misunderstandingly to put China as totalitarised nation, most importantly we have the freedom of speech. we can discuss any governnor in public as long as you don make anti social or instigative statements, i even in US the so called democratic leader, if u you do so u will be taken note. a further proof to this is the internet. we can get access to it easily and by 2008 most of Shanghai will be covered by broadband wireless network.

there are many more things that are out of your imagination by the way. if a coutry is politically stable why shld the government give up its power? and who would like to launch a revolution to overtrow it if everyone or most of the people live happily under it? In Singapore the PAP or People's Action Party has ruled Singapore since it gained independence from the British. yet last year's election clearly showed it was still the most popular among all the parties. and Singapore is doing well under it.

on the issue of human rights, how much do u know about it? does ur coutry offer the full rights to u? if u have the full rights then the vast majority will have none. think about others, choose the best way to live peacefully. do the black ppl in US have equal rights? you cant desire more equal if every one is equal.:cool:

·
Registered
772 Posts
sure there is no developed nation run by a totalitarian government, but there was, the Soviet Union by that time.
Soviet Union wasn't a developed nation as measured in GDP per capita.

It is misunderstandingly to put China as totalitarised nation, most importantly we have the freedom of speech.
So what happens if I publicly criticize the communist party at Tiananmen Square? Where are anti-communist websites hosted within China? Why are Google and Yahoo being criticized for giving into the communist party's demand to censor Chinese language contents?

we can discuss any governnor in public as long as you don make anti social or instigative statements
In the free nations, you can curse your government and nothing happens, or advertise Falungong without being thrown into prison.

China doesn't have the freedom of speech.

i even in US the so called democratic leader, if u you do so u will be taken note.
But nothing will happen to you, as long as you don't plot on assasination or something like that.

a further proof to this is the internet. we can get access to it easily
You get censored Internet.

if a coutry is politically stable why shld the government give up its power?
Well, Chinese citizens are not even given that choice by a general election. If China was a true free country, then Kuomintang could return to the mainland, set up its headquarter, and nominate candidates for elections.

who would like to launch a revolution to overtrow it if everyone or most of the people live happily under it?
We are not talking about revolution, but a multi-party general election

on the issue of human rights, how much do u know about it?
Too much of it, From running protestors over with tanks, and trading organs from executed prisoners to gunning down Tibetan monk pilgrims.

201 - 220 of 256 Posts