China Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Wrong again..............

Real_I_Hate_China said:
0.8L is an engine displacement that only Koreans use, yet it has made into Chery somehow for no good reason...

And no V8 from Chery for now. The biggest they got is a V6.

The 0.8L engine is used in SEVERAL different cars in China - the entry level BYD Flyer has a 0.8L, the Changan Suzuki Alto uses a 0.8L engine AND the entry level Chevy Spark as well (to be fair to China hater, the Spark IS a rebadged Daewoo Matiz....from Korea).......along with the entry level Chery QQ.

In addition, there is a VERY good reason that Chery (as well as the other companies) still sells a 0.8L engine.......fuel economy and tax incentives. UNLIKE many drivers in the USA, most drivers in China do not venture that far from their home cities in their cars. The majority of their driving is done within the city or the immediate surrounding countryside (i.e. suburbs), and a 0.8L engine is enough for city driving. Fuel economy is also MUCH higher (obviously) for a 0.8L than a 1.3 or 1.6 or whatever......which makes owning a car with a 0.8L engine much more affordable. Finally, with the new tax laws taking effect on April 1, people buying a car with a engine displacement UNDER 1.5L now only pay a 3% tax instead of the previous 5%.

The government here is ENCOURAGING people to buy smaller, more fuel efficient cars............a very smart thing considering the current oil situation throughout the world. Companies here are also developing hybrid vehicles, hydrogen fuel cell cars, etc........and the first hybrid car went on sale here in China earlier this year (the Toyota Prius). The 0.8L engine will continue to be a important part of the chinese car market - it's not going away any time soon!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
0.8L is an engine displacement that only Koreans use, yet it has made into Chery somehow for no good reason...
odd comment.

First BMC 'A' series engine was 803cc back in about 1950 something. Honda had the s800 800cc sports cars back in the '60s. I don't think the Korean car industry has patented 'passenger car powered by 800cc engine'.

there is a V8 4.0, it's still on the drawing board I believe but it is an extension of the V6 3.0 which does exist, so the V8 doesn't need a quantum leap.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Question is will the engine layout for the V8 be of an East-West FWD biased configuration like the V6, or North-South RWD biased.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:

And no V8 from Chery for now. The biggest they got is a V6.
hey hatter start looking forward to the future of chinese cars, chery is MAKING a V8 to put into the american market. And Chery is making all new cars to go into US market that was designed by italians, engineered my austrians that just happends to be made in china, stop comparing the old models to the new ones comming to the US.

·
Registered
450 Posts
AXLE said:
Question is will the engine layout for the V8 be of an East-West FWD biased configuration like the V6, or North-South RWD biased.
that's a CHASSIS question. maybe it'll be 4 wheel drive. wouldn't be a bad idea, check out my latest vid......... which should be called 'the guy who scared me'.

www.fightingtorque.com/video/evobrian384.wmv

it isn't a chinese car I know, but the track is chinese and it has got a couple of chinese bits under the bonnet.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
$20,000 luxury car on the way from China

By TED EVANOFF
The Indianapolis Star

06/14/2006

Once the driving force behind the Yugo economy car, automotive maverick Malcolm Bricklin long has been Detroit's niche dreamer, selling cheap cult cars that turned heads but never quite captivated mainstream America.

Now the once-bankrupt Florida entrepreneur says he has lined up Wall Street money, an Austrian engine, an Italian design, Chinese labor -- and he's betting Americans will spend billions of dollars on plush Chinese luxury cars priced modestly at $20,000.

In the next two years, his imports are expected to arrive in U.S. showrooms, where luxury auto dealer Dennis Reinbold has just signed on to sell the unnamed Chinese brand.

OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_2');
"We want the guy who's driving a Honda or Toyota but would really rather have a Mercedes but can't afford one," Bricklin said. "We're not looking at selling the cheapest car in the market. We're looking at selling the cheapest in the top-end segment."

Tied tightly to his ambitious plan is 9-year-old Chinese carmaker Chery Automobile (pronounced cherry).

Bricklin expects U.S. sales of 1 million autos a year by 2012, 6 percent of the market.

Although he established Subaru of America, Bricklin is best remembered for his flops. The $3,995 Yugo, a problem-plagued 1980s import, foundered even before NATO warplanes bombed the factory during the 1999 Serbian war.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Well, one market's definion of luxury is different from another markets.

Take a look at Azera. Considered a $40,000 luxury sedan in its homeland, it is merely a $28,000 high-end full-size sedan in the US. Almost luxurious, but not quite there yet.

Same goes for Cherys as well. What is considered a luxury car in China is merely a bargain base economy car outside of China. Zhonghua is a perfect illustration of this.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
Well, one market's definion of luxury is different from another markets.
good point

Real_I_Hate_China said:
Take a look at Azera. Considered a $40,000 luxury sedan in its homeland, it is merely a $28,000 high-end full-size sedan in the US. Almost luxurious, but not quite there yet.
That certainly explains why it has a pretty good looking interior. $12,000 dollars is a big price difference, which means either you are lying about the cost, or Hyundai is loosing money in North America. Since Hyundai, or any car manufacture for that matter, will not enter a market to loose money, and I am giving you the benefit of the doubt, does this mean that Hyundai is almost completely unopposed in the Korean market?

Real_I_Hate_China said:
Same goes for Cherys as well. What is considered a luxury car in China is merely a bargain base economy car outside of China. Zhonghua is a perfect illustration of this.
If I recall properly, it was the American company Visionary Vehicles that is trying to redefine the price of luxury, implying that the Chery vehicles will meet the American luxury standard. The American consumer will never perceive a new import as a luxury vehicle, unless FAW makes a HongQi that can directly compete with a Rolls Royce, so the reality is Visionary Vehicles and ZhongHua probably are going to use a combination of Volkswagen and Hyundai's marketing strategies to enter the North American market.

·
Registered
772 Posts
does this mean that Hyundai is completely unopposed in the Korean market?
A 75% monopoly. So that means Hyundai makes $10K on each Korean Azera sold, while making a more modest $2K on US Azeras.

Their justification is that they need that kind of profit to build up a $10 billion in cash reserve(currently $6 billion) needed to compete and survive in today's cut-throat automotive industry. Only those with $10 billion stashed away in the bank can compete.

If I recall properly, it was the American company Visionary Vehicles that is trying to redefine the price of luxury, implying that the Chery vehicles will meet the American luxury standard.
According to Malcolm, dressed up FengYun and QiYun are BMW competitors.
So no thanks to Malcolm Bricklin's world of luxury for me, I decline.

·
Registered
481 Posts
yet agian ..

the dressed up fengo jingo and the quengo lingo are not going to america u dumb !

And Why dont you let the TIME to tell the story of Cherys faliure in the US ? its just one or two years if its ever gonna happen , so shutup already .

·
Registered
481 Posts
lol , can't wait for ur bankrupt , a few years from now

there's an old saying here " Forecasters lie , even if they were correct "

·
Registered
135 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
According to Malcolm, dressed up FengYun and QiYun are BMW competitors. So no thanks to Malcolm Bricklin's world of luxury for me, I decline.
As you said, Americans are not stupid, so I don't think anyone would invest in Visionary Vehicles if they are trying to sell dressed up FengYun and Qiyun as BMW competitors, not to mention create fifty dealers and raise $200 million. Then again I could be wrong and Malcolm has the charisma to attract people to his side. Hypothetically speaking, if Chery created a luxury car, competitive with any BMW in every category for $20,000, would you consider buying it, and do you think it would be competitive?

·
Registered
561 Posts
RCtennis3811 said:
gr8, are you crazy? Dodge isn't even marketed in America as a luxury brand!?! Neither pics exude luxury...
im just saying that looking at cherys dvd player, and cool leather interor etc. etc. could be considered a luxury brand. While dodge with plastic plastic and more plastic would not be considered a luxury vehical (just like what its ment to be). im just saying that the definition of luxury is not that difficult to understand.

·
Registered
59 Posts
"Cool leather interior"? My mom's TL has a "cool leather interior", this does not. It looks nice, but it's far from being "cool". And no, it wouldn't be considered a luxury brand because it looks like a bargain brand.

·
Registered
135 Posts

The crossover's interior might have the luxury items and plastics seen in the TL interior, but it lacks shape and form, not to mention that it has too many textures and colors placed in an unorganized fashion. Interiors in luxury cars have to have grace and form, and the crossover's interior clearly lacks these aspects.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I actually like New Crossover's interior. But that's about it. I wouldn't take it even if Chery gave one for free to silence my mouth, because I am afraid of a massive towing and repair bills mounting.

21 - 40 of 256 Posts