China Car Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The biggest market segments are mid-sized sedans priced at $19,000~22,000range, and pickup trucks priced at $21,000 ~ $25,000 range.

Both are tough waters with a cut-throat competition, not a place for little fish like Chinese to swim in.

B-C segment with a price range of $11,000 ~$14,000 are becoming increasingly crowded, with all major Japanese and Korean import brands already having models in this segment. Chinese fish will too be swallowed up in this water as well.

That leaves Sub-$10,000 segment as the only market segment where tiny Chinese fish could swim in the US market. But Chinese has not proved they could build a reliable car meeting all US regulations and comes with a 15y/150K mile warranty(since even GM now offers a 100K mile warranty in the US, Chinese must offer better) for $6,000(You have to build at this price to sell for $10,000 in the US).

Frankly, Chinese doesn't stand a chance in the US and Europe.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
Frankly, Chinese doesn't stand a chance in the US and Europe.
Americans said the same thing about the Germans in 1950, the Japanese in 1965, and the Koreans in 1984. To support brands that didn't have a chance, Volkswagen opened their US plant in the late 1970s, Honda followed in 1982, and Hyundai opened theirs last year.

Never say never, especially in the automotive field. Those who don't learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
well I am not going to give away my plan, but let's just say, the 10k segment is key.

1. People want a new car, rather than a used one.

2. If they see something bigger than other 10k cars, that will attract them.

3. If they see something that looks better than other 10k cars, that will attract them.

4. If they believe the car will be dependable, that will attract them.

A 15Y 150K warranty? They don't even need to offer a 10y at first. A 5-6Y 60-75k warranty would be just as good, because a 10k car is not expected to last forever. Most people trade up to a new car within 1-3 years.

I am not talking used, why would I? That would have no place in this discussion.

The Chevy Aveo and Cobalt, both under 10k after rebates.
The Ford Focus, under 10k after rebates and incentives. Other cars are offered for under 10k after rebates and incentives, it attracts people. THis is mostly done in local ads, to draw people in.

Now imagine a bare bones 4 door sedan, not compact but midsize with seating for 4-5 adults, for roughly 10k, with a 4 cyl and decent performance. Not out of the reach for a Chinese car maker. Now imagine it has awesome styling, and is a little on the sporty side. Then add in 0-60 in about 7 seconds (not fast, but fast enough to remain competitive) and a 5 year 60k mile warranty. Suddenly those sub-compacts look a little small for their price.

Considering companies I have talked with can make 4X4 4 door SUV's with power accesories and a sunroof, and sell it for about 9k, I know they can do a car, with less equipment and less material, for less money.

It's not simple. It would be extremely difficult. But it is possible.

If you want to tell me it's not possible, and it's not worth it, go ahead, you have already said it, I have heard it. However I have run the numbers. I have years of research into this. If the few things you have picked up on the internet (yes I am assuming, sorry if I am wrong) outweigh my years of (often) full time research, that's great.

I don't know everything, but I do know this pretty well.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts