China Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
September 2006 - must have been made in Longbridge UK, although it does have new MG badges on.

The L is the long wheelbase version - longer than SAICs Roewe.

·
Administrator
16,810 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Nanjing plans to ship MG7's in 2008

Nanjing Auto plans to ship MG 7 in bid to revive brand

NANJING Automobile Corp said yesterday it plans to start exporting its Chinese-made MG 7 series cars as early as the second half of next year, seeking to revive the UK's most famous car brand globally.

The Chinese owner of the bankrupt British car giant MG Rover aims to sell its MG 7 series premier sedans in Malaysia, Russia and Britain, said Tang Yuejin, vice general manager of Nanjing MG Automotive Co Ltd.

"We are be able to export at any time as we have passed all the technical tests including emission (standard) from VCA, the designated UK Vehicle Type Approval authority," said Tang. But Tang said the company has no plans to build the model in its plant in Britain. Nanjing Auto, China's oldest car maker with a more than 60-year history, outbid Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp to buy the failed British MG Rover Group for 53 million pounds (US$103 million) in July, 2005.

The car maker's plant in Nanjing, which is designed to turn out 200,000 units annually within five years, is also the main auto parts supplier to the former Rover plant at Longbridge in Birmingham, which just restarted making MG TF sports cars. "We are confident of market acceptance because British cars have their unique features and are models of art compared with others," said Zhang Xin, general manager of Nanjing MG.

The first Chinese-made MG cars, costing between 200,000 yuan (US$26,315) and 400,000 yuan, will go on sale next month. The MG 3 series, a smaller-sized sedan with engine capacity of 1.4-liter will hit the market early next year. Initially there will be 40 dealerships and more will be set up in Shanghai, Guangzhou and other cities, Zhang said.

In addition to a US$2 billion investment in reviving the MG brand worldwide, Nanjing Auto also got a US$260 million loan from a Chinese policy bank in March as financial aid to expand production and go overseas. SAIC, which acquired intellectual property rights of Rover 75 before MG Rover collapsed, has already launched the Roewe 750 at the end of last year.

In order to improve operational efficiency, Nanjing Auto is also eying to cooperate with SAIC, China's largest car maker, on a possible tie-up to develop the MG and Rover models."

- Shanghai Daily -

·
Registered
66 Posts
Raul said:
NANJING Automobile Corp said yesterday it plans to start exporting its Chinese-made MG 7 series cars as early as the second half of next year, seeking to revive the UK's most famous car brand globally.

Just in time to celebrate the cars 10th birthday.

By 2008, the last of the unwanted, delivery mileage, Longbridge built R75s should have finally been sold.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It looks like they've brought an old 1930's Rover to China (on the background in last pic) :)

·
Administrator
16,810 Posts
According to China Car Times, MG7 is not selling very well, so Nanjing was already forced to lower prices.

China Car Times feels that we’ve been unfair on the MG7, now we’re seeing more of them out on the road (3, to date in Qingdao) we can see that is clearly the best looking sedan in the sub 200,000rmb price range, despite the MG7s age, it still has a lot of class about it - the way it hugs close to the road like a Jaguar and the quality of the paint finish is really second to none. There’s just no comparing the MG7 to the likes of other sub 200,000rmb sedans, like the VW Passat, and the Focus saloon, both of which are very widespread in China. The Passat and the Focus saloon feel, and look like sub 200k cars, but the MG7 has looks of something approaching the 600k and up category (we’re still thinking of Jaguar here)

To boost sales, MG are knocking 3000rmb off the price of the MG7, which makes the MG7 pretty much the cheapest ‘luxury’ car in its class in China. Prices are now as follows:

* 1.8T Standard - 160,960rmb
* 1.8T Luxury - 180,460rmb
* 1.8T Luxury Sports - 190,90rmb
* 2.5 V6 Luxury Flagship (Lengthened model) 300,080rmb

·
Registered
469 Posts
Reading the Chinese MG forums I get the impression that the people they are trying to sell MGs to are people who love to get a "bargan" and some sort of reduction was necessary to make the customers happy however small - and this is a small reduction!

As far as I can make out they are selling every one they make.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I visited the mg7 website and found the new-old mg7 a very interesting sedan. :)
I wonder why this car is not sold in other countries yet. :confused:
The prices - if my foreign currency converter worked well - are very reasonable, :thumb: but, of course, if the mg7 will be sold outside China, it dependes if those prices will be confirmed (I imagine, for example, that high transportation costs will influence the final consumer prices).
The market position of the mg7, i.e. in Europe, could be difficult, especially because there is a general negative image of chinese cars from the recent crash tests and then because of the past Mg-Rover bankrupcy in the UK. A car manufacturer reputation is a hard job to do in today's car world. A diesel engine should be also very important (but for me also cng and lpg could be valid alternatives). And what about the Tourer versions?
Other matter: after the SAIC-Nanjing merge, what cars will be sold in the future? Still today's linups of Mg together with Roewe or some of them will be discontinued??
Bye
Mike

·
Registered
469 Posts
mdlbz said:
I wonder why this car is not sold in other countries yet. :confused:
At present they are selling every one they make in China however they will be exporting this year, for the British market cars will be made in Britain, for the European market they are likely to be imported from China.

I don't know anything about Italy but MG will be returning to other European countries:

Little James said:
According to Auto Foco (something like your Autocar), José Boieiro, former CEO of "MG-Rover Portugal Ltd", announced last week that the MG TF will be on sale again in our country until the end of the first half of 2008, following by the MG 7 and the MG 3. Unfortunatelly this MG TF is the one produced in China and not in Longbridge :w00t:

Boieiro is now the leader of the portuguese arm of Dong Motors, a new iberic importer responsible for the return of MG to Portugal and Spain. This consortium is leaded by Alfonso Saavedra, former CEO of "MG-Rover Spain Ltd".

In Portugal, MG will open new dealers in Lisbon, Algarve, Oporto, Coimbra, Azores and Madeira.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Get a MG7 to US

Is it difficult to buy a MG7 and bring it to US for personal use? Any insights on passing the safety standards and emission tests?

Thanks!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yes, it would be very difficult as the engine has not passed US emission tests.

However it is possible to import the British built V8 MG ZT version as that uses a Ford Mustang V8 engine, you just need to register it as a modified Mustang - it has been done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I guess the new MG7 with Euro4 will have less emissions than the ZT V8. :confused:

Any idea where to get the rear lights of the MG7?
And I hope the MG7 will be more successful with automatic transmission than it is now with the manual gearbox.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your're absolute right. An automatic gearbox (today at least with 5 speed) is essential on this kind of car (I have an automatic gearbox and will never return to a manual one). Still I like the classical shape of the MG7, very interesting the long wheelbase version. But the Tourer version is missing..... :notsure:

Thanks windy for the info. I see the selling of the MG7 in Europe a tough challenge because prejudices against chinese manufactured cars are very strong. And I can understand that selling a car in another country means to set up a selling organisation, an efficient spare parts delivery system and so on. So an important selling topic will be the final price for consumers. :thumb:

Just about the V8 version: I think it was one incredibily wrong decision of the old MG-Rover management :confused: . They had to change from a front to rear wheel drive system, then a relatively old Ford engine was choosen, simply an economic suicide :eek: ! About emissions: I think too that old Ford V8 should have higher emissions than the today MG7 engines (Euro 4 must be standard on today cars in Europe). But regulations are quite different in the States and in Europe. You told that a MG V8 has been registered as a modified Mustang: absolutely incredible! To do something like that in Italy would be impossibile, you would be considered simply mad to ask such a registration!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts