China Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MG outsells: AlfaRomeo,Aston,Bentley,Daihatsu,Lotus,Perodua,Pro ton,SsangYong,Isuzu...

"If MG Rover can put in such a credible sales performance as a corpse, imagine how much better it might do if it was to be brought back from the dead"

... But weirdest of all is that the allegedly dead MG Rover - or, to be precise, the official/unofficial dealer network - is still shifting 'new' cars, and quite a lot of them, too.

In September, the two brands outsold half-a-dozen others. And in the whole of 2006 so far, they have enjoyed higher figures than Alfa Romeo, Aston, Bentley, Daihatsu, Lotus, Perodua, Proton, SsangYong, TATA, Isuzu and, very nearly, Subaru and Jeep. Talk about never say die. If MG Rover and Longbridge can put in such credible sales performances as a corpse, imagine how much better they might do if at least one of the brands - almost certainly MG - is brought back from the dead? Couldn't happen... or could it?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...full_chat.html

·
Registered
186 Posts
Lets hope so.
There are enough 'new' Mg/Rovers in the world.
They all were bough when they went down.

·
Registered
249 Posts
hazik said:
I didn't know TATA and Proton were selling cars in the UK. How are their sales?
didnt know this either? what are their sales like...and are they BADGED as proton and TATA??

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mrgq said:
didnt know this either? what are their sales like...and are they BADGED as proton and TATA??
Yes they are badged as Proton and TATA. I saw a TATA on the road a few weeks ago, can't remember seing a Proton for ages but their not the most interesting of cars so I've probably just not noticed! Proton used to be reasonably popular but they seem to have gone out of fashion.

Actually I do see quite a few TATA cars about, but they are all badged as MG-Rover City Rovers and will have added to the MG-Rover sales figures!

I have no idea how many they sell, but I guess its not a lot to be beaten by a company thats not made any cars for one and a half years!

UK proton site - http://www.proton.co.uk/index.asp

UK Tata site - http://www.tatacars.co.uk/

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hazik said:
What are the best selling cars in the uk? Volkswagen, toyota, honda, fiat, citreon, renault?
Here we go - the official figures from the SMMT:

Top 10 registrations

September 2006 - Year-to-date 2006

21,793 Fiesta - Focus 111,335
17,999 Focus - Fiesta 85,924
16,346 Astra - Astra 85,468
11,851 Clio - Corsa 57,659
11,596 Mégane - Mégane 51,006
10,695 Corsa - Golf 49,002
10,644 3 Series - Clio 48,801
10,425 207 - Mondeo 39,427
10,215 Golf - 3 series 38,773
7,453 Micra - Zafira 37,858

·
Registered
627 Posts
Windy said:
Here we go - the official figures from the SMMT:

Top 10 registrations

September 2006 - Year-to-date 2006

21,793 Fiesta - Focus 111,335
17,999 Focus - Fiesta 85,924
16,346 Astra - Astra 85,468
11,851 Clio - Corsa 57,659
11,596 Mégane - Mégane 51,006
10,695 Corsa - Golf 49,002
10,644 3 Series - Clio 48,801
10,425 207 - Mondeo 39,427
10,215 Golf - 3 series 38,773
7,453 Micra - Zafira 37,858
No toyota's or honda's. I think the best selling cars in the US not including pick up trucks are

1 toy Camry
2 Honda Accord
3 Honda Civic
4 Toy corolla
5 Nissan Altima

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hazik said:
No toyota's or honda's or Nissan.
Toyota, Honda, and Nissan all have big factories in the UK - we don't buy our own cars, like the US we only buy foreign! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
101 Posts
hazik said:
No toyota's or honda's. I think the best selling cars in the US not including pick up trucks are

1 toy Camry
2 Honda Accord
3 Honda Civic
4 Toy corolla
5 Nissan Altima
In the US, the best selling cars this year (through September) are...

1. Toyota Camry (340k)
2. Honda Accord (278k)
3. Toyota Corolla (about 270k)
4. Honda Civic (251k)
5. Chevrolet Impala (219k)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Windy said:
Toyota, Honda, and Nissan all have big factories in the UK - we don't buy our own cars, like the US we only buy foreign! :rolleyes:
True. But I wonder where the new Honda Civic is finishing. I think the Civic is a breakthrough car for the Japanese in the UK. It's been very well recieved because the styling isn't as boring as we have come to expect from the Japanese. I think if Honda keep making cars like the Civic then they will soon be in the top 10.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If I was the Sales Manager of Alfa or Jeep, I'd be falling on my sword at the news that a mothballed company that hasn't cranked a lever in over eighteen months is still selling more cars than they are.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've found the top 10 Australian cars here (for last month)

1) Holden Commodore - 5,238
2) Toyota Corolla - 3,899
3) Toyota HiLux - 3510
4) Ford Falcon - 3,447
5) Mazda 3 - 2,222
6) Toyota Yaris - 2,812
7) Toyota Camry - 2,603
8) Holden Astra - 1,606
9) Toyota Aurion - 1,543
10) Mitsubishi Lancer - 1502

Typically the Falcon and Commodore are the two vying for top spot, but the high fuel prices have hit their sales, but there's just been a new model Commodore released.

The current model Civic has been doing well, although we don't get the nice Euro-market Civic, we get a boring Civic sedan made in Thailand.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Seamaster said:
If I was the Sales Manager of Alfa or Jeep, I'd be falling on my sword at the news that a mothballed company that hasn't cranked a lever in over eighteen months is still selling more cars than they are.
Means nothing.

The MGR cars were sold at give-a-way prices - to get shot of them once and for all.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ah, Muppetman. Full of the joy of the season, as usual.

Cheer up, you daft old bugger.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Seamaster said:
Ah, Muppetman. Full of the joy of the season, as usual.

Cheer up, you daft old bugger.

And a Happy New Year to you. Look forward to reading more of your exaggerated comments on MGR's products.

:thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I dont understand you puppet, you always go on that you want evidence then u get it and just dis-regard it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
dentricrio said:
I dont understand you puppet, you always go on that you want evidence then u get it and just dis-regard it.
Welcome to Puppetland! It's been the same tune since 2002, if I recall correctly on mg-rover.org from whence he was banned, followed by a ban on Xpowerforums.com, and tolerated on Brit-cars.com for the amusement value! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts