China Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
MGBMAN72 said:
I have recently discovered this site to feed my need for more information on MG. I have owned my 1972 B for over 25 years and have anxiously awaited a time when I can buy a new MG as a daily driver. I was initially thrilled when BMW took control of MG-Rover, but they thoroughly disappointed. Now, we have Nanjing in China taking over. I am partly thrilled that MG's will be made in what could be said my back yard in Oklahoma. The downside is my fear that what eventually comes to the US will end up like the ill-fated Sterling. I intend to be first in line for a new MG, but I will probably lease in case it does not live up to expectations. I hope to be proven wrong. I love this site and China Car Times for providing a plethora of information that is sorely lacking in any US and UK news sites.
Welcome to CCF, MGBMAN72! I'm sure you'll fit in here nicely.:cool:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nanjing certainly have their work cut out to improve the quality of the MG TF. The recent Top Gear survey had the MG TF in a very low position overall (95th) with only one miserable star for build quality - its main rival the Mazda MX5 is well out of sight at 15th position overall.

And with the 10 year old MG7 up against the likes of the superb new Mondeo (which looks two generations on from the R75) Nanjing are going to have to work hard to obtain any worthwhile European sales.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Puppetland said:
Nanjing certainly have their work cut out to improve the quality of the MG TF. The recent Top Gear survey had the MG TF in a very low position overall (95th) with only one miserable star for build quality - its main rival the Mazda MX5 is well out of sight at 15th position overall.

And with the 10 year old MG7 up against the likes of the superb new Mondeo (which looks two generations on from the R75) Nanjing are going to have to work hard to obtain any worthwhile European sales.
As you were constantly reminded when you got it wrong on the the various forums from whence you were eventually banned, the 75 was launched in 1999, which puts it at 8yrs old. Small difference admittedly, but it does question your credibilty when posting!

Added to which, the 75 was styled to be retro, and against the Mondeo then, looked different. Familiarity breeds contempt and the Mondeo et al also look dated now, too. But to a market in China new to the 7 and the Roewe 750, it will sell well.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Did he forget to mention that the Rover 75 scored just 1 less than maximum stars in all catagories? :thumb:

Not that I think that survey is of much use; it tells us more about the owners of the cars than it does about the cars themselves, although only the owners who actually bother to respond to that survey - which most owners don't!

·
Registered
66 Posts
MartinW said:
the 75 was launched in 1999, which puts it at 8yrs old.
But when (or if) the MG7 eventually goes on sale in the UK it will be nudging ten years old - and will be way behind the leading pack in Europe.

Windy said:
Did he forget to mention that the Rover 75 scored just 1 less than maximum stars in all catagories?
But where did the MG ZT come? A bit further down!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Puppetland said:
But where did the MG ZT come? A bit further down!
Correct, it lost 1 extra star in one of the catagories.

(Was that the cost catagory?)

Why is age important?

There was a time when newly designed cars where always better, recently cutting costs and meeting environmental and safety standards seems to have been more important and the newer designs are often less desirable than the older ones...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Puppetland said:
The recent Top Gear survey had the MG TF in a very low position overall (95th) with only one miserable star for build quality - its main rival the Mazda MX5 is well out of sight at 15th position overall.
i have driven both the mx-5 and the mg tf, needless to say the MG is a piece of shit, it belonged to my sister in law and was a total nightmare build quality and dealer backup. after lots of hassle she replaced it with a mazda mx5 which is a much better car with no relibility troubles. the Japanese car is simply better, no one should touch these crappy MG cars

·
Registered
469 Posts
Puppetland said:
The recent Top Gear survey had the MG TF in a very low position overall (95th) with only one miserable star for build quality -
Maybe someone should point out that although its true that the MG TF only got one star for build quality, it actually got just 2 stars less than the maximum in all other catagories!

Obviously god_bless_japan is going to say (or should that be swear :nono:) that the Japanese car is better, but how well did the MX5 do in all the other catagories?

PS: How come Mercedes comes bottom in just about every catagory - does that mean that they are the worst cars or just that the only Mercedes owners to answer the questions are ones that like to complain!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Gents, a word to the wise. NUTTERLAND is on prescription meds. Don't waste your time. You're not arguing with a real person, just a PHARMACEUTICAL SPASTIC and a textbook TROLL. The masochistic streak he displays coming on forums like this to be hung out to dry every time he posts is best left unindulged.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Windy said:
Obviously god_bless_japan is going to say the Japanese car is better, but how well did the MX5 do in all the other catagories?
You're not seriously suggesting that the MG F (now renamed MG TF, shortly to be renamed (again) TF2) may be better than the 2007 model MX5?

The TF is a badly built car with cheap and nasty switchgear, it leaks water, has a girly driving position and frequently blows its head gasket! That is why it gets such a low satisfaction score on these surveys.

Nanjing have a lot of work to do to prevent their TF2 getting universal ridicule.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Spakkaland, are you referring to the same TF?

Is this the same TF that won "Cabrio of the Year" at the Geneva Motor Show and was voted by the Italian press "the world's most beautiful cabriolet"?

That had and has the class-leading EuroNCAP safety score, with a higher total star rating than the Toyota MR2, Mercedes SLK and Audi TT, better even the Volvo S60?

That had and has the best power-to-weight ratio in its class, beating the MR2, Audi TT and Mazda MX5?

That was and is quicker 0 to 62 than the MR2, Audi TT and Mazda MX5?

That was and is the class-leader in luggage capacity, better than the MR2, Audi TT, Mazda MX5 and BMW Z3/Z4?

And, most importantly, that consistently out-sold its competitors year-in, year-out, remained the UK's number one best-selling roadster throughout its production, and indeed increased its sales every year since it was launched?

But don't take my word for it.

If it still had B**'s millions, MG would have replaced the TF by now. Speculating on what that car would have been like is interesting: a little 4 cylinder, mid-engined roadster styled, designed and fettled with a proper budget by the guys at Longbridge with support from Munich could have been a world-beater, and almost certainly a Mazda MX5 crusher. What would it have been like? How would it have driven?

While speculation is interesting, it's not as interesting as jumping into a newly revised TF and having a blast in it - it exists, and while it's only an update of a very old model, it's still a decent car. The TF has been mildly tweaked for 2005. with a new design of alloy wheel, new illuminated heating and ventilation controls and new trim colours and materials, including Alcantara seats. All TF's now feature remote central locking, CD Tuner (plus MP3 on TF160), leather steering wheel and handbrake grip, alloy gearknob and electric heated mirrors.

But more important are the revisions to the suspension. We've never doubted Longbridge's excellence at chassis tuning, and you can feel the difference immediately in the TF. Spring rates are lowered by 20 and 30% front and rear respectively, and damper settings are also changed, while the front anti-roll bar has increased from 19 to 21mm.

The changes have given the TF, a much improved ride quality. Sharp ridges and potholes are absorbed with real aplomb, and the body control over larger and more severe undulations is excellent. You can comfortably drive this car over pretty much any sort of road and it will remain composed and cosseted, the inherent stiffness of the chassis helping to keep the body rigid and shudder free while the suspension does its work.

Throw it a series of bends and the TF doesn't disappoint either. It rolls a little more than before and obviously feels softer, but that's no bad thing. You can push on and enjoy yourself, safe in the knowledge that the car will drift wide into understeer when the tyres start to give up. This they do fairly early and progressively, though grip is good. The car tends to lean its bodyweight over once and then hang on - and while a sharper, harder chassis would be more appropriate for track work, there's nothing wrong with the way the car responds as it is.

So softer is definitely better, and it steers beautifully, too with an accurate direct feel. Then there's the sweet little 1.8litre K-series engine behind you: a delightful unit, worked through a five speed box with an excellent instinctive short throw shift. We drove the TF135 version, but even with comparatively little power, it's always egging you on, keen to be revved. It's smooth and punchy at motorway speeds too.

It's easy to see why the MGTF is Britains best selling sports car. For driver feel, it does the basics very well indeed, and while the cabin is outdated and the driving position cramped for taller drivers, you can't deny that it serves up fun in bucketloads. Who needs B** anyway?

Autocar

·
Registered
66 Posts
Seamaster said:
But don't take my word for it.
I won't, because all you are doing is quoting irrelevant 'anorak style' information that the man on the street couldn't care less about. In your list, you missed out one important category. Brand image. It is in this category that the TF fails miserably.The fact is, that the MGF and then the MG TF have been plagued by reliability and build quality issues since launch. The car remains an ergonomic nightmare and its owners have never rated it very highly - hence its poor showing in various surveys.

If Nanjing think this car is going to kick-start a successful European operation; then they must dramatically improve both the packaging and ownership experience.

As it stands, the MG TF will always come a distant second to its Japanese rival, and like I said above, Nanjing have a lot of work to do to prevent their TF2 attracting universal ridicule.

·
Registered
469 Posts
So you admit that Autocar is right do you Puppetland?

P.S. I was wondering why you are called Puppetland so did a google search; does the first result provide the answer? :

"Puppetland is a surreal childish nightmare in a world of puppets, where Mr Punch has killed the kindly old Maker and usurped control of the puppet land with his vile henchman and their wooden thugs, the Nutcrackers. But Judy, Punch's former lover, is determined to rid Puppetland of his evil. With ground-breaking mechanics, an innovative take on the whole idea of role-play and a completely unique 'story-book' style of narration, Puppetland will amaze and disturb you."

·
Registered
82 Posts
Puppetland said:
I won't, because all you are doing is quoting irrelevant 'anorak style' information that the man on the street couldn't care less about. In your list, you missed out one important category. Brand image. It is in this category that the TF fails miserably.The fact is, that the MGF and then the MG TF have been plagued by reliability and build quality issues since launch. The car remains an ergonomic nightmare and its owners have never rated it very highly - hence its poor showing in various surveys. If Nanjing think this car is going to kick-start a successful European operation; then they must dramatically improve both the packaging and ownership experience. As it stands, the MG TF will always come a distant second to its Japanese rival, and like I said above, Nanjing have a lot of work to do to prevent their TF2 attracting universal ridicule.
And yet it STILL outsold all those rivals in the market in which Nanjing are relaunching it, YEAR IN YEAR OUT FOR OVER A DECADE. Indeed, it was achieving INCREASING sales in those latter years. Now, Blunderland, what were you drivelling about "brand image"?

·
Registered
66 Posts
The MX5 as well as other roadsters have achieved impressive global sales whereas the MG TF only really succeeded in its home market.

Brand image? The TF has no image other than a car from a defunct motor manufacturer.

Not to mention you look a complete [email protected] driving one. :p

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know asking you to answer a direct factual question normally sends you running for cover (cf britcars.com passim), but if Autocar et al are wrong, to what do YOU attribute the MG's performance as the NUMBER ONE BEST SELLING SPORTSCAR EVERY YEAR FOR TEN YEARS in the market in which it is about to be relaunched?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't accept those figures.

As we now know, MGR severely manipulated new car registrations by pre-registering vehicles, stock piling them in fields and pretending they were sold.

How else can you explain the thousands of (registered) cars (many were MG TFs) in fields at the time of MGR's collapse?

Lets see how Nanjing get on selling their version. By your reckoning it should fly out of the showrooms ...

·
Registered
82 Posts
No one will dispute MGR's suicidal practice of pre-registering vehicles. But in the case of the TF, new model year 05 cars were only being built to order and there was a full order book without any PVS discounting. The few pre-registered examples that were (and still are) around were mainly specific SE production runs (eg 80th, Spark, etc).

As Autocar noted in that (very fair) review of the 05 TF, it WAS Britain's best selling sportscar. And remained so every year throughout its ten year life, increasing unit sales in the latter years (one of only a couple of MGR models to do so).

Unlike your blether, which is merely OPINION, these are FACTS. It's obvious you struggle to understand the difference.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts