China Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
469 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
The fact that Lotus's own cars have Toyota engines doesn't tell you anything?
Yes, it tells us that the MG Rover engines they used to use up until MG was sold to Nanjing have been unavailable while the production lines where being moved to Nanjing and that Lotus did not keep large stockpiles of engines!

If they continue to use Toyota engines after the MG engines are available again then that might suggest something different; however I wouldn't be at all supprised if they swopped to MG's N Series engines once they are in full production.

· Registered
469 Posts
mgrovernut said:
Lotus have said on many occasions that they are big fans of the K Series as it turns out a lot of power in a compact design. In fact Lotus ironed out the Head Gasket problems on the Elise and so it was a very good engine for them. I suspect they will dump the Toyota engine as soon as they can get hold of the Nanjing version (which they have had a hand in designing).
The main reason for the introduction of the Toyota engine to some of the Lotus models was that the MG-Rover engines had no dealers/service/suppliers etc in the USA as MG's where not sold there. With MG's back on sale in the US, this problem will soon be sorted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.