China Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Naveco, a joint venture between Iveco and Nanjing Automotive Corp (NAC), has purchased the commercial vehicle business of Yuejin Motor Co. This news was released yesterday by Fiat Auto.

That's all I know for now :eek:

·
Registered
469 Posts
More info:

September 14, and South automobile company in Nanjing Iveco Fiat Group signed, the two sides will conduct an in-depth cooperation, integration Yuejin and "Yang" the two companies have major fighting in the commercial vehicle base. It is reported that Yang, Yue new projects after the merger, the two sides will each accounting for 50% of the shares, it will become Fiat's largest automobile cooperation projects in Asia, its size and IVECO similar to the Italian territory.

A seeming sincere cooperation in the details, Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi and Li Yuanchao, secretary of Jiangsu Provincial Party Committee were present at the signing ceremony. According to informed sources, this time integrating the two products has been further expanded after the merger, joined the brand will be retained, in the heavy truck, drove to the inculcation of new technology companies, the possible introduction of heavy truck production lines, and form a complete series of commercial vehicle platform.

Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi at Nanjing Auto

http://auto.sohu.com/20060919/n245412594.shtml

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
the web of Nanqi manufacture

Sorting out the organization of NAGC (Nanjing Auto Group Corporation) is not an easy task. Here’s my understanding of it. Iveco had a commercial vehicle joint venture with Yuejin (a unit of NAGC) previously, but now that JV called Naveco, is going to absorb the remaining Yuejin commercial vehicle unit. The resulting larger Naveco will also include the recent Iveco-SAIC joint venture which will produce commercial vehicles in Chongqing.

Combined this will give Naveco a big piece of the light to medium commercial market in China.

As for passenger cars, that leaves the Nanjing Fiat joint venture (Nanya), and the Soyat-Junda car making plant in Wuxi, as well as the unit (Nanjing Mingjue) formed to produce MG Rover products in Nanjing. Actually Nanjing’s car making production (and experience) is small by comparison with the other big guys in the industry.

Here’s a website that gives a brief history of NAGC before the latest Naveco purchase: http://www.cartype.com/page.cfm?id=1426&alph=ALL&dec=ALL

·
Registered
469 Posts
Very good attempt dragin :) but...

My understanding is that Yuejin was NACs own independant brand, they had a seperate Joint Venture with Iveco, these have now merged.

The Iveco-SAIC Joint Venture is totaly seperate and will be making large trucks (articulated) whereas the Iveco-NAC one will make light trucks, and presumably vans following the merger.

They have also sold some part of Soyat cars recently.

I don't know where this leaves all their military trucks etc - a major buisness for Nanjing. (They made a lot for the UN) :confused:

Yes, their experience of cars is small and all fairly recent but they learned a lot while setting up the Joint Venture with Fiat a few years ago and the same people are now setting up Mingjue (MG). They have a lot of good and enthausiastic people there - along with the funding, thats what matters.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
light medium and heavy

Windy said:
The Iveco-SAIC Joint Venture is totaly seperate and will be making large trucks (articulated) whereas the Iveco-NAC one will make light trucks, and presumably vans following the merger.

They have also sold some part of Soyat cars recently.

I don't know where this leaves all their military trucks etc - a major buisness for Nanjing. (They made a lot for the UN).

Thanks Windy for the info about Nanjing. I wasn't aware that military trucks were a significant part of their production.

Here's what a September 14th article in Forbes.com said about the Naveco SAIC connection: ...... "The range offered by the new NAVECO will also include heavy vehicles to be produced in Chongqing by Iveco's joint venture with SAIC Motor Corp."

So my comment about Naveco only producing light to medium commercial vehicles was wrong...

With regard to Soyat, after the Bird Cellphone people got discouraged and sold their stake in Soyat, and Amoi Electronics did likewise at the Junda light truck making unit of Nanqi, Nanqi merged the two into one and call it Wuxi Soyat-Junda Auto or something like that. I found it interesting that Global International Holdings is marketing that Soyat now in Mexico. See: ghmotorsmexico.com

Last year the total number of passenger cars produced was only about 37,000, but you are right funding and esprit will play a big part.

·
Registered
469 Posts
dragin said:
Here's what a September 14th article in Forbes.com said about the Naveco SAIC connection: ...... "The range offered by the new NAVECO will also include heavy vehicles to be produced in Chongqing by Iveco's joint venture with SAIC Motor Corp."

So my comment about Naveco only producing light to medium commercial vehicles was wrong...
I think that Forbes may have got it wrong, either that or "the new NAVECO" will also sell the heavy trucks made by the SAIC-IVECO joint venture!

This article seems to explain it clearly:

Iveco develops China production
Wednesday 20 September 2006
http://www.fullyloaded.com.au/index.cfm?storyid=28535&cp=displaystory

Iveco Trucks has signed a joint venture agreement with Nanjing Automotive Corporation to to boost production of light to medium trucks and buses in China.

The JV called Naveco will purchase the commercial vehicle related business of the NAC controlled Yuejin Motor Corp.

Iveco and its parent Fiat Group have been operating for more than two decades in Nanjing, and the new Naveco will develop both the Iveco based and Chinese based light and medium commercial vehicles.

Iveco has been producing 20,000 Dailys a year through Naveco, while Yuejin has been producing 50,000 light to medium trucks and buses a year. (Iveco has a separate JV producing heavy trucks with SIAC Motor Corp in Chongqing.)

Naveco (after taking over Yuejin) expects to manufacture 70,000 light and medium commercial vehicles a year, with the medium term goal of 100,000.

The current Yuejin range is undergoing 'an aggressive product improvement plan' through the introduction of Iveco technologies, including emission compliant engines, according to FIAT Group CEO Sergio Marchionne.

Naveco will produce more than 200 models in six segments from 3 to 6 tonnes, including light and medium buses, military offroad and special vehicle.

Yuejin produces 400 models, including passengers cars separately with Fiat, as well as light duty trucks and buses, and a host of small passenger/cargo and agricultural vehicles not the the Fiat/Iveco JVs. for overall production of 180,000 vehicles a year.
Thats a lot of trucks!

·
Registered
469 Posts
dragin said:
With regard to Soyat, after the Bird Cellphone people got discouraged and sold their stake in Soyat, and Amoi Electronics did likewise at the Junda light truck making unit of Nanqi, Nanqi merged the two into one and call it Wuxi Soyat-Junda Auto or something like that. I found it interesting that Global International Holdings is marketing that Soyat now in Mexico. See: ghmotorsmexico.com
If I am reading this correctly then it explains the current position with Soyat, Bird etc although I am having difficulty following it. Maybe you can make some sense of it?

http://auto.sina.com.cn/news/2006-08-31/0957211983.shtml

1 - 9 of 9 Posts