China Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Windy said:
The MG Metro - the car that was banned from rallying for being "simply too fast"!
Well, it as well as the Pug 205T16, Lancia Delta S4, Audi Sport Quattro, Ford RS200.

Don't get me wrong, my wife's first car was an MG Metro, because at the time it was almost as much fun to drive as a mini cooper but worth a small fraction of the price of a secondhand cooper. But let's be realistic, they looked pretty crap and no serious car enthusiast is going to try to claim that having metro parts on your sportscar is some kind of positive association. I know you are an MG Rover fan windy, but sometimes you have to call it a day!

My current esprit lacks the Morris Marina door handles and switchgear of the original, does that mean it lacks motorsport heritage............ the Marina, you mean the car that had the same engine as an MGB........

You know I'm only having fun!

Cheers,

FT

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm not an expert on my rally history, but I think the Audi had been on the scene for a little while. But as far as I know, there was no one car that was banned, rather the entire group B formula was dropped. The manufacturers were upset because they had invested a lot into it, and were working on the next thing which would have been group S and even more extreme.

Of the bunch, the two that were most successful in the final years were, I believe, the Lancia and the Peugeot. The Ford had only come out quite recently.

The metro had a relatively large, normally aspirated engine, whereas the others all had smaller capacity turbocharged engines.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts