China Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pops recently bought it at auction as a stolen and recovered vehicle and im in the process of sticking in all my car audio from my green Volvo 240 including Blaupunkt head unit, 2 12inch Sony Explod subs, kenwood amp and boxed 6X9s. Should be registered by tommorow :D

For those who are not familiar with Saab, it is a Swedish Automobile manufacturer which has been producing cars since the 40s. Before manufacturing cars, Saab started out as an aircraft manufacturer and has made various aircraft for civillian and military use, including the Viggen Jet fighter. Saab automotive division is now owned entirely by GM and their new vehicles are rubbish. The first generation of the 900 series vehicles manufactured by Saab were arguably one of the best handling cars from the 80s. The first gen Saab 900s were FWD but their engines were unusually set out as they sat in a reverse north-south configuration with the transmission sitting just below the engine (essentially a transaxle). This makes them very unique. Pity Saab nowadays is nothing close to what it used to be :(

Here are some specs for my ride...

Weight - approx 1200 kg

2.0 litre (1985 cc) sohc, slant 4 cylinder fuel injected B201 engine with 118 hp (87 kW) at 5500 rpm and 168 N·m (123 ft·lbf) at 3700 rpm

5 speed manual transmission

4 wheel disc brakes

My new Saab is in great condition and runs like new. Nice sounding exhaust as well (its got cat and only one muffler sitting just before the rear wheels). I think I will keep it for the most part stock unless I find some nice tri-spoke Aero rims at the wreckers or something. Hopefully should get some decent pics of the interior, engine bay and audio set up soon, in the meantime here are some crappy camera phone pics.

·
Registered
314 Posts
i like the original saabs like yous, very popular with smart professionals here in the UK ie doctors, barristers who didnt want flash in the for of Merc, BMW:eek:

the turbo charged engines are very rapid and being swedish very safe and no nonsense engineering. Pity when GM bought Saab they ruined it by using the Vauxhall Vectra chasis for the Saab and the car lost its character big time:rolleyes: :nono:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Axel, welcome to the forum, greetings from a fellow Saab driver.

Although I do not agree with your opinions on new Saabs. They have lost a certain amount of unique identity but the 9-5 and 9-3SS are still fine motoring machines.

P.S. Just because they are based on Vectra Chassis does not mean they drive the same as a Vectra! The VW Tourag and Porsche Cayenne shares a same platform too, so is VW Phaetom/ RR of late. The 9-3SS's chassis is tuned to such a degress that they can not be made on the same assembly line as a Vextra. And I'll challenge you to any race in a Vectra in my 9-5.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Rock, which one did you have, a 9000 or 900? Those Carlson special edition/ Viggen turbo kick-ins are un-forgetable experences :). It's really like someone booted you from the behind.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It was a 900 S Turbo / Intercooler- And you are so right - it was really the only car that you could really hear when the turbo kicked in, and it actually pushed you back into the seat. Coming off boost gave a great big "HISSSSSSSSSS" from over boost - fun, fun, fun. Made you feel like an F1 driver when going to the corner store.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update - The second gear in the transmission has failed so me and my dad need to replace the gearbox. :(

P.s. Sorry for not getting any updated pictures up, I've been up to lots lately.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm originally from Boston but currently studying and living in Adelaide South Australia. There are a few wrecking yards and other places where we can get a gearbox around here so it should be no problem, thanks for the help though. Oh and you should post some pictures of your 9-5 in a new thread, I wouldn't mind having a look.

·
Registered
156 Posts
hey katsura, Im not sure if you know quite as much as your letting on. You say that because of GM Saab has lost its way and that before GM Saab was Saab right? Well just a fact, the Saab 9000 was before GM and it shared its floor plan with the Alfa Romeo 146 and the Lancia Thema! The 9000 didnt even have a central ignition! Hmmm, the new 9-3, 9-5 and 9-7x all have central ignitions, and thats just one of the quirks retained after the GM takeover.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts