China Car Forums banner

241 - 260 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
I wrote about these photos:https://koryogroup.com/blog/the-history-of-pyeonghwa-motors-part-2-2012-present
see: In November 2019, a Japanese Photographer who calls himself Jeje Noby took some pictures of new cars outside the factory. I recognize 4 Ppeokkugi 2405 (Ppeokkugi II), 7 Hwiparam 1504 (Hwiparam III), and a Beijing Weiwang Yusheng BW007 which was shown to the photographer. The Ppeokkugi and the Hwiparam were cars which were assembled during the joint venture, as I suppose the production line is still there, I think that these new cars were recently assembled. Besides, the number of Hi-Ace minibuses in North Korea seems to increase, which could be a result of local assembly.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks, erik. That works.
I see the 007 is debadged but I haven't seen any product name so far or advertisement. Maybe that model didn't get into production/sale at all.

Congratulations for the article, I've read both parts few weeks ago. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I added new stuff, for further identification comments just let me know here.

Last : 253 (two models), 255 (two models). Always happy to know what you miss.
Mainly looking for the Chollima 011 front view, I have seen it but it's only on a poster. Was it a short production model? Also curious about a vehicle called '신태백' or Shintaebaek (in English would be Holy mount Taebaek) made by Sungri/Sungni in Tokchon. It could be a misinterpretation of Taebaeksan, though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
@Gag, thanks a lot.
Sorry, there was a bug in the website, I just noticed. Whenever I edited an image description it moved it to another gallery outside the respective album. Now all images should show up. For further identification comments let me know here, thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #249 (Edited)
Don't know anything about a Shintaebaek, can be Taepaeksan, but those trucks are not made by Sungri. The name Shintaebaek was already in documents from South Korea about 20 years ago, can be one of those mistakes that always comes back.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks erik and thanks Gag for the correction.
Added new pics, comments always welcome here.

Edit:

is now off the list, since it appears to be a de-badged Mitsubishi Fuso Fighter from around ~1978-1979

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Hello Kegare, thanks for all the nice surprises and pictures. Especially the designs are great!
Some comments: my friend Robert writes me that the "Pukkoksong Brand Trucks and Unknown Pickup"(ibb.co/Qvr5hv5, ibb.co/C5p06BT; a pity the pictures are not numbered), are named Kumgangsan and not Pukkoksong.
"The Ëlectric car of unknown origin" (ibb.co/SBN0xsS and ibb.co/S5P051x) seems to me Baoya Tongnian BY07, before named Baoya Yate and based on the South Korean E-Zone EV ,made by CT&T.

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
I have a noob question. I refer to these two pictures: https://ibb.co/wBH6n9r & https://ibb.co/C5p06BT.

From the discussion in posts #254 & #255, I see that the "Daewoo-like" logo is associated with the truck called "Kumgangsan". That logo is also on the dark green, canopied pickup truck (Jinbei Dalishen rebadge). So one may assume they are the products of the same company.

I now quote a post made quite some time back by Erik (#36):

Joint ventures announced in the DPRK:
1. Tokchon Auto Joint Venture Co. Ltd. (2015)
in the Sungri factory in Tokchon, the name of the make is Sungri. FAW trucks from 3 to 30 ton.
2. Kumphyong Joint Venture Co. Ltd. (2015)
Address in Pyongyang.
Kunmae trucks (Jinbei), a 2 1/2 to and a 20 ton truck. Jinbei pickup, Jinbei small truck.
3. Hyesong Commercial Company (2013)
Address in Pyongyang.
Pukkuksong small trucks and vans
4. Pyongun Jungsong Joint Venture Co. (2009)
Address in Pyongyang.
Kumgangsan 19-50 sts buses, Chonmalli 0,5- 15 ton trucks
5. Samhung Automobile Joint Venture Co. (2013)
Address in Pyongyang.
Chonji pickups (Foton Sup and Foton Tunland), also small trucks
On one hand, I find "Kumgangsan" is a name associated with the Pyongun Jungsong company (평운중성합영회사). On the other hand, I see Jinbei pickup and Jinbei small truck mentioned under the Kumphyong company (금평자동차). So, which of these two companies is responsible for the vehicles in those two pictures?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Questions for Kegare:
1. the small fc truck which we always called Sonyon is now identified as Sungri 58NA. Can you tell us where the attached photo was found (from a book?) and do you know the date of introduction of the vehicle?
2. You have this wonderful paper with technical details of the Sungri 58, the Taepaeksan 80 etc. Do you know the date of this information? Was it from a technical handbook?
3. Where did you find the indication that the first Taepaeksan (which I called T. 70) has the number T. 50, and the second the number T. 80? When that one is from the above mentioned paper, how do you know that is the right one?
Thanks again for the wonderful info!

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
The truck from the 1992 parade is a Volvo F88.

Background:

In the 1970s, Sweden began to see North Korea as a lucrative market.[2] Swedish companies like Volvo, ASEA, Kockums, Atlas Copco, and Alfa Laval wanted to export their products to the country and held an industrial exhibition in Pyongyang.[3] During that decade, North Korea imported various items,[10] including about 1,000 Volvo automobiles that were never paid for, prompting Soviet diplomats to call it "largest car theft in the human history". These Volvos were a common sighting in Pyongyang until the 2010s. They have since become increasingly difficult to maintain.[11] North Korea still owes 2.2 billion Swedish kronor (234 million euros) to Sweden from these imports. Out of all countries, the North Korean debt to Sweden is the largest, followed by Iraq whose debt is a billion kronor smaller.[10]

241 - 260 of 348 Posts