China Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had no idea about the joint venture at the Sungri plant, so thanks for that.

I did see that Huanghai Ruitu on your list, but this is definitely a Maxus with a Pyeonghwa badge on it. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
I have questions about the Ppeokkuggi 2008. I have never seen a Beijing Jeep with this front end. Anybody any idea where it is from? The jeep is also in use in the army, at least it was shown during a military parade.
Hello Erik!

Going by the specifications in the scanned brochure, these match exactly with the Zhanqi hardtop, BJ2024CJB2. Obviously, I am referring to the 5-door version and not the open-top military one.

The parameters taken into consideration are:
Dimensions: 4340 x 1828 x 1870 mm
Wheelbase: 2500 mm
Curb weight: 1600 kg
Gross weight: 2525 kg
Max speed: 115 km/h
Engine: 4G20B (1998 cc)
Power: 75 kW

Apart from the front end (the headlamp and grille grouping), I see two other important sheetmetal differences. The forward-slanting clamshell bonnet lid is unique; this is not present on any of the Chinese Zhanqis (which is wraparound) or the BJ212/BJ2020 (which is a clamshell but more uniform in height, and the surface detailing is different).

Also note the front fender is different from the Zhanqi. The leading edge of the wheel arch swoops down lower than on the Zhanqi, and the side turn indicators (orange) are at a more rearward position near the trailing edge of the wheel arch.

Since I very much doubt Pyeonghwa having a stamping facility, these specific panels are almost certainly made by BAW for this particular export model.

I have used the picture from your site to better demonstrate the above assertions.

Source: chinesecars.net

·
Registered
287 Posts
Guess Pyeonghwa models follow a certain chinese style marketing, with several sub-brands dedicated to different drivers: Ppeokkuggi seems dedicated to off road and light commercial vehicles, Hwiparam to low and middle class sedans and Zunma to luxury cars, for example. Anyway wonder how many of these cars are really sold yearly as DPRK has widespread poverty and only few affortunated people might afford dreaming to have a car.

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
But the question is, who is converting or making this model and why is it not for sale in China.
BAIC/BAW is, at their fairly new Huanghua plant. See 5th and 6th paragraphs.

http://bjrb.bjd.com.cn/html/2014-04/14/content_169684.htm

As I said earlier, PMC would be unlikely to have a stamping facility; it is little more than an SKD facility with perhaps minimal assembly capabilities, because even CKD facilities require sizable investment. High local-content assembly plants, even full-fledged manufacturing plants of major automakers, usually do not make so many models concurrently as PMC claims to be selling. Only SKD plants are capable of churning out numerous models at the same time because the work on each car is not very intensive - mainly limited to fitting wheels, batteries, glass, wipers and such. (refer Avtotor in Russia or Azia Avto in Kazakhstan)

BAIC's Huanghua plant is a complete unit with a press shop; the altered panels are very likely stamped there itself although they would need to invest in 3-4 new dies.

As for why it is not sold in China, who knows? Perhaps because it is a special export model. There have been such instances in automotive history. The Toyota Zelas is not sold in Japan. India did not get the Nissan Pixo by Suzuki despite local production.

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
Video (with Ppeokkugi 2008 and Ssangma). Also note Ppeokkugi 2417 (Leopaard Q6):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqSODQMTvBU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqSODQMTvBU[/ame]

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
This is a BYD F3 (second model) rebadged.
Recently nknews.org reported that BYD, since entering the DPRK back in 2009,
"...has sold nearly 3,000 cars there, of which more than 1,000 are Pyongyang taxis. BYD also operates a service center in Pyongyang, which provides after-sales maintenance and repair, as well as original spare parts for its models. The company also plans to introduce environmentally friendly electric cars into North Korea."

According to gasgoo.com, among the above cars were the F3, as you mentioned, Erik, along with the F6.

And so at present it appears that the following Chinese automakers are, or were, exporting full, or knocked down, passenger cars to the DPRK:

BYD
BAIC
FAW
Hawtai (Lusheng E70)
Huanghai
Soueast (Delica minivans, in 2004)

It will be interesting to see if, in the wake the recent Hydrogen Bomb test, this number will decrease, due to pressure on Beijing to slap the hand of its little brother.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I think North Korea will be more and more an industrial colony of China, producing low cost consumer goods for which production costs are already too high in China.
I don't think the China trade will change in the near future, including the car import.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think North Korea will be more and more an industrial colony of China, producing low cost consumer goods for which production costs are already too high in China.
I don't think the China trade will change in the near future, including the car import.
Agreed - at least in part why the governments are so cosy.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Joint ventures announced in the DPRK:
1. Tokchon Auto Joint Venture Co. Ltd. (2015)
in the Sungri factory in Tokchon, the name of the make is Sungri. FAW trucks from 3 to 30 ton.
2. Kumphyong Joint Venture Co. Ltd. (2015)
Address in Pyongyang.
Kunmae trucks (Jinbei), a 2 1/2 to and a 20 ton truck. Jinbei pickup, Jinbei small truck.
3. Hyesong Commercial Company (2013)
Address in Pyongyang.
Pukkuksong small trucks and vans
4. Pyongun Jungsong Joint Venture Co. (2009)
Address in Pyongyang.
Kumgangsan 19-50 sts buses, Chonmalli 0,5- 15 ton trucks
5. Samhung Automobile Joint Venture Co. (2013)
Address in Pyongyang.
Chonji pickups (Foton Sup and Foton Tunland), also small trucks

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
Samcheonri* (삼천리) 0904 is Foton View van (9 seats, early model)
Samcheonri 0711 is FAW Jiabao V80
_______

Huanghai Plutus is Ssangma 0104 (쌍마) as far as I can see, unless Ssangma and Sampa are the same word.

_______
I think 'Ppeokpuggi' ought to be Ppeokkugi* (뻐꾸기)

*in the Revised Romanization system
In the McCune–Reischauer system, the words would appear as Samch'ŏnri and Ppŏkkuki.

Anyway, that is some wonderful information Erik has shared with us! Thanks a lot!!

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
One correction: The Samcheonri 0904 is also a Golden Dragon Haishi and the 9-seat version of the 0606 that serves as ambulance. It is however identical to an old Foton View which I erroneously mentioned.

The Samcheonri 1105 could actually be 1108.

The BJ40 is a Ppeokkugi, but the specific model number is unknown.
The BAIC E150 (not Senova D20) is Ppeokkugi 1515.

From: https://www.flickr.com/photos/zaruka/albums/72157647809442149/with/15382596836/

Samcheon 1703 (Image)

21 - 40 of 368 Posts