China Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has production of Rover 75 already begun in China or was this Rover imported from the UK.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think its imported but probably with a SAIC built engine.

First run of a production line is due in June by SAIC for some test cars.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Nanjing are saying that but I don't think I have heard SAIC say it.

Remember that the initial design of the SAIC car was as part of a Joint Venture with MGR, if the JV had gone ahead then they would have wanted to keep the styling, possibly with a minor update. Also if they want to sell it as a Rover then it needs to look like a Rover.

It would be very supprising if they replicated it as accuratly as this car though!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chinese auto companys can accurately replicate other automakers designs even without the blueprints. Look at this BYD F3, just imagine what they can do with the blueprints. You can't tell if it's a BYD f3 or a toyota corolla without looking at the logo.

and look at this S-RV, looks even better than the honda C-RV

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What brand names does Nanjing auto own. Do they only own the MG trademark. Does SAIC own any brand names, and do they want to buy the Rover name from bmw.

·
Registered
249 Posts
hazik said:
What brand names does Nanjing auto own. Do they only own the MG trademark. Does SAIC own any brand names, and do they want to buy the Rover name from bmw.
I've heard it repoted on www.mg-rover.org that Nanjing have been given first refusal on the Rover brand name, but that SAIC have offered 20 million for it. Nanjing have said they want the brand though....so effectively SAIC may have to go with an unknown brand on products that European will just see as ripped off Rovers....

Nanjing now own the following brands from the MGR family:

MG
Austin
Morris
Austin America
Vanden Plas (European brand rights)
Sterling
Wolseley

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
China debut for Rover-based car

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/6167414.stm
The new Chinese-made version of the Rover 75 has been launched by the country's largest car maker.

Shanghai Automotive, who pulled out of a joint venture with MG Rover before its collapse last year with the loss of 5,000 jobs, is now making the car.
The Roewe, based on technology used in the Longbridge-built 75, was unveiled at the Beijing Motor Show.
The firm lost out to Nanjing Automobile to buy MG Rover, but acquired the copyright for its 75 and 25 models.
The Roewe is the Chinese car maker's first car based on Rover technology.
A lot of the people who buy this car in China will actually ride in the back of the car and be driven by chauffeur

Will Davies, AFX Asia

It has been restyled to meet Chinese taste but much of the work has been done by a design firm based in Warwickshire.
Will Davies, Beijing correspondent for AFX Asia, said: "The biggest change is that there's an extra 100 millimetres in the rear door, again it's about Chinese design taste and a lot of the people who buy this car in China will actually ride in the back of the car and be driven by chauffeur."
About 90% of the car has been built in China but the marketing campaign highlights its Britishness.
Shanghai Automotive had wanted to use the Rover name but US motor giant Ford bought the Rover name from BMW in September.
Peter Plisner, BBC Midlands Transport Correspondent, said China is now the second biggest car market in the world. "The market's already highly competitive but Shanghai Automotive are adamant this British designed car will be successful," he said.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Isn't this post for the SAIC sub-forum?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any sales figures, how many have they sold so far? Can you buy the Roewe at the same place that sell the SAIC-GM cars and SAIC-volkswagen cars?

·
Registered
325 Posts
The crowds around the Roe We stand at BJ car show were amazing! shoulder to shoulder, elbow to elbow! There seems to be a lot of interest in their cars, but they wont be on sale until early next year, but there is a lot of marketing about the car. I posted an example of a billboard advert for the roewe, and if anyones interested, I scan in their chinese advertising literature for more people to see.

·
Registered
83 Posts
chinacartimes said:
I posted an example of a billboard advert for the roewe, and if anyones interested, I scan in their chinese advertising literature for more people to see.
Hi, I'd be interested, especially if you wouldn't mind us posting it on Brit-Cars?
Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts