China Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Sorry Hater, Your GM sucked for Malaysians ...

VW got 51% of Proton
GM / Peugeot-Citroen Lost .

source : Motor Authority
Volkswagen has signed an agreement of intent to buy a significant stake in the manufacturing arm of Malaysia’s state-owned Proton. The information was leaked from an inside source to XFN-Asia, ahead of an official statement due on the 8th of February. VW’s expected to purchase up to 51% of Proton’s manufacturing arm, giving the German giant control over the Malaysian carmaker’s factories.

A few years back it was reported that Volkswagen was keen to join with Proton to increase its capacity in Asia to build its Passat and Fox models. Proton has been losing market share to a host of international competitors ever since, including Malaysia’s own Naza and Perodua Motors. Other bidders that were hoping to buy into Proton include General Motors and the PSA Peugeot-Citroen group. Malaysia’s government had preferred either VW or Peugeot-Citroen to win the bid, and it appears as though GM and the French duo have lost out.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Most likely Polo and Passat will be produced in Proton factories.

I have heard of Skoda and SEAT models replacing Proton models as rebadged Protons.
I doubt VW will do this straight away as current Proton's Savvy, Gen 2 & Satria are all recent introductions within last 2 years (model cycles are usually 6-8 years;)).

·
Registered
264 Posts
cryptonx said:

Sorry Hater, Your GM sucked for Malaysians ...

VW got 51% of Proton
GM / Peugeot-Citroen Lost .

source : Motor Authority
looks nice..sort of a mazda 3

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
@ Phaeton , Proton products are old

the only new cars is the Gen -2 which was introduced in 2004 I believe and the Satria Neo , shown above is thier latest model , was introduced in June 2006.

If you compare the gen-2 / satria neo to the old and aging Wira , you will notice how EVOLVED Proton is .. The wira was nothing but a remade of an old 1992 Mitsubishi lancer , even using the same 1.3 engine from back then , but with a few twists and modifications here and there .

the Waja came after ( IMPIAN in UK ) and it still considered a respectable car here , yet it has some build issues , the gen2 is built on th Waja/IMPIAN platforum , yet it was redesigned from the interior and exterior to show off Proton new Design lines , which is really inspiring , however interior build issues were still there .. but for a car that goes from 0 to 100 km/h in 9 seconds with a 1.6 - 116HP Campro engine priced 45% then competetiors , comes with full waranty and equipment and safety features , you have to look out for it .

I never seen the Satria Neo , but i've seen thier cheapest model , facelifted at Jan 2007 , the SAVVY , which is a fantastic piece of car , using a Renault Clio 1.2 Engine and its gearbox as well . this car can really kick the heck outta QQs / Sparks and all these crappy cars :p .

Things havent been going well for Proton tho , I dont know why .
Hope they will do better under VW .

Oh btw Engineered by LOTUS ( which is part of Proton now ) , even thier newly developed engines ( Campro ) is also engineered by Lotus .

in 2000 , Formerly MG ROVER :p wanted to rebadge Proton Gen 2 as a Rover car , however things didn't work out at the end .

its also intrested to mention that :

The Proton Wira ( Discontinued now ) sits on 1992 Lancer Platform
The Proton Waja ( was believed to use ) a 90s Mitsubishi Galant platform
The Proton Satira ( old version ) is a remade of Mitsubishi COLT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.