China Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See pressrelease below:

Has anybody an idea of this new Chinees "Rover 75" wil have an automatic transmision in it ?

Is there sombody who has already spy photo's of this new Rover 75 ?

I hope that there is somebody who has some more infornation about the production, models, engines, New Rover models etc etc from SAIC

I hope to hear soon

=======================================================

Luo design made in China on November 18 will be officially fu Beijing car show
Http://auto.163.com 2006-03-22 08:49:06 sources : Daily Economic News     Website visitor comments 0 ,

First, the long-awaited Shanghai Automobile independent brand cars to be a veil.

Yesterday, the Shanghai Automobile Manufacturing Company car market communications and public relations department director Huang Huaqiong with the "Daily Economic News," said : based on the Shanghai Automobile Luo fu 75 platforms with independent intellectual property rights, created the first car will be formally unveiled on November 18 this year in Beijing show, the most recent being for the whole company and busy with the matter.

This new car for the amount and distribution of yellow Huaqiong did not answer. "Shanghai Automobile previously had spent 67 million pounds; Luo fu 25, 75 cars and two engines whole series of intellectual property, the Shanghai Automobile Group vehicles are fully capable of launching products according to market demand, "Huang Hua Qiong said," We also developed a lot of cars, which listed the specific section, according to the market demand. ”

And the "Daily Economic News" earlier learned that Shanghai Automobile cars are currently on 13 Luo trust products development, the first product of the Romanian fu may be lengthened 100MM 75 cars. But can that type of high-end vehicles will market positioning and synchronous listed at home and abroad.

To cope with internationalization strategy in the United Kingdom, one from the original 100 companies Mgrover core team of experts has already begun operation, "this will be the development of our overseas products adaptive research base. "Huang Huaqiong said.

In China, there are 45 cities with 55 dealers Shanghai Automobile signed agent contracts.

"This year's production target Luo fu yet finalized. "Huang said Huaqiong final.

·
Registered
5 Posts
lol the rover 75 is coming to china? i remember when china bought off the last few remnants of rover, but i wonder if they've inherited the build quality as well. the rover 75 is one of the worst cars i've ever driven, oy

·
Registered
249 Posts
Bearing in mind that no Chinese car ever made has won 17 major car awards when launched then I am surprised your so critical of a car that was built under BMW's watchfull eye. If the Rover 75 is one of the worst cars you've ever driven then you must drive some of the best cars in existence. Rolls Royce perhaps?

As for build quality then the Rover 75 came joint top in a recent build quality survey in the UK with some boring Toyota..... If your going to pick on a car for build quality then I would suggest that the Rover 75 is just about the worst choice imaginable!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Warren2 said:
Is there sombody who has already spy photo's of this new Rover 75 ?
Only ones using the original Rover 75 body shell for engine or suspension testing so they are not very interesting!

·
Registered
469 Posts
SAIC will not be making the Rover 75!

Everyone thinks that SAIC will produce the Rover 75 but this is not quite correct! The Rover 75 will be produced by the SAIC Luwei Motor Company Ltd or whatever it is called by the time production starts. This is a joint venture between Shanghai Automobile Company Ltd and SAIC and so maybe deserves its own section on this website. The following quote suggests SAIC will only have 40% of the joint venture.

"The Shanghai Automobile Co., Ltd. and the SAIC Motor Corp. Ltd. plan to jointly invest ¥3.68 billion to establish the SAIC Luwei Motor Co., Ltd. located at the SAIC Yizheng plant in Yizheng of Jiangsu Province, according to a circular released by Shanghai Automobile on July 27. The new company will have registered capital of ¥1.28 billion and Shanghai Automobile will invest cash, land, factories and equipment at the current SAIC-Yizheng production facility worth ¥512 million for a 40 percent equity of SAIC Luwei, which will produce independently developed vehicles using technology purchased from Rover and Saangyong and become a key production base for SAIC's independent brands. The first independent model will be introduced before 2007, according to Zhao Fenggao, president of Shanghai Automobile, a publicly listed company. "

(I think "The Shanghai Automobile Co., Ltd" is a subsiduary of SAIC. :lol: )

Does anyone have a good explanation of how these companies are related? :confused:

·
Registered
469 Posts
That looks like a RWD Rover 75 V8 built at Longbridge UK.

I think the SAIC cars will look a little different.

·
Registered
450 Posts
there are lots of companies under the SAIC umbrella. I believe that the main reason is that SAIC itself will likely remain state owned, but the others will pursue other types of equity in order to support growth, or have separate structures in order to enable them to be converted to listed companies. this is common to most big state owned companies in china.

comes under a policy called 'grasping the large, releasing the small' started by the late and great Mr Deng Xiaoping.

I think. Most of my political knowledge is made up from a collection of things I've come across over the last 7 years here.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Chinese Rover 75 Spy Photos

"A British consultancy and 150 former MG Rover engineers are aiming to start up production of Rover cars in China. Ricardo, the engineering group, is working on turning the intellectual rights into production and on creating a range of cars including a stretched version of the 75.

Ricardo originally advised SAIC that buying the whole of MG Rover when it was a going concern would be inadvisable because of the car-maker's pension liabilities, among other issues. SAIC had been in joint venture talks with MG Rover for several months before it grew increasingly concerned about the financial strength of the organisation.

SAIC intends to build Rover-based cars in China by the end of this year or the start of 2007 using new equipment. Nanjing has also said that it will soon begin manufacturing cars from the 75 and 25 production lines, which it has shipped to China.

When both companies' cars are produced, there could be a fight over copyright if they look too similar. Both companies are also in talks with BMW, the owner of the Rover brand, about buying the name. Rover is thought to retain some value as a prestige brand name in China."

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphot...2.001/general_ecf/chinese-rover-75-spy-photos

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
ricardo

Last week I spoke to a guy from Ricardo 2010, who told me that already this year SAIC will show a second model, on the same Rover platform. I am not certain if this is the stretched version or a complete new body design. He suggested the last, but wouldn't say more.

·
Registered
627 Posts
When will SAIC version of rover 75 be launched

It's been over a year since they bought the rights to Rover 75 and 25. How much longer until their cars based on Rover are launched.

Is this how it's going to look like

·
Registered
65 Posts
Supposedly, production will start near the end of the year. The spy shots are here. It looks like the tail has been raised a bit and there are new taillights. The front end looks like a standard 75 grille and headlights with revised lower air intake and indicators and fog lights integrated into slashes like those on the V8 Rover 75. There's a similar thread here.

·
Registered
264 Posts
they look like jaguars, especially 2nd pic

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here is my translation if you find the online translator version hard to read

http://auto.myrice.com/news/2006/8/26259.asp

SAIC's "Rover 75" named as "Lu-sheng" (literal meaning: Road-Splendor) Car with incresed wheelbase

2006/8/4

The dust still hasn't settled from the fight over Rover with SAIC and NAC, and both side will launch their own new models from what they got from the fight.
Recently, writer recieved information regarding the SAIC's development based on the Rover 75, and introduce it to the web user here.

http://auto.myrice.com/news/images/26250/26259_1.jpg
1.8T low spec
http://auto.myrice.com/news/images/26250/26259_2.jpg
1.8T high spec
http://auto.myrice.com/news/images/26250/26259_3.jpg
2.5 low spec
http://auto.myrice.com/news/images/26250/26259_4.jpg
2.5 high spec

From the photos above, we can see the exterior did not change much from the Rover 75, mainly some adjustment on the front. The grille is bigger, the design of the lights and the foglight are changed and there is an alteration with the front bumper.

Rover 75

The Lu-sheng is much bigger in size than the Rover 75, especially the 103mm increase in the wheelbase. This seems like the result of meeting the demand of more interior space from this country.

(Top to bottom: Model, Length, Width, Height, Wheelbase, Engine model, Displacement, Weight, Total Weight, Max speed)

The Lu-sheng saloon will have two displacements of 1.8L and 2.5L, four models in total. Each model is compliant with the EuroII and EuroIII emission regulation. The two engines are the original engines from the Rover 75.

(Top to bottom: Engine model, Engine type {straight 4, turbocharged; V6, NA}, Valves, Displacement, Power, Torque, Compression ratio, Bore, Stroke)

The 1.8L model uses the 18K4G turbocharged engine, is matched with SH78Z 5-speed gearbox co-developed by the SAIC Gearbox company and the German GF company. The high-spec version has equipment such as the electric sun roof, 8-ways electric driver seats, electric rear mirrors as standard over the low-spec version. From what we can see from the photo, you can see the difference in the sun roof and the wheels. Both of these adopt 16 inch wheels, 215/55 R16 tyres.

The 2.5L model uses the 25K4F engine, and it comes with the AW55-51SN type 5 speed semi-automatic (manual and auto it says in Chinese) gearbox. The high-sepc version comes with a DVD, Xenon lamps, bluetooth system for mobile phones, rearwards radar visual function (parking sensors) as standard that the low-spec hasn't. Visually, the low-spec version has the same 16 inch wheels and 215/55 R16 tyres as the 1.8L, and the high-spec version has 17 inch wheels and 215/50 R17 tyres.

The competitiors for SAIC's within the country would includes VW Passat, Buick LaCrosse, Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. These competitors ranges from 180k-250k yuen (~£11,900-£16,600), and Lu-sheng can hold out with these cars by its "British royal bloodline" and autonomous brand. Therefore we guess the Lu-sheng 1.8T will be priced around 180-250k yuen and the 2.5L about 230-260k yuen (£15,200-£17,200).

However these are just estimation from the author, and could be turned over by discount from SAIC. Hopefully SAIC will grab onto this oppotunity to establish a real autonomous brand rather than just talking about it, and deliver a real concession to the consumer.
editing: Jiu Hai

·
Registered
65 Posts
Disappointing. They should've changed the styling more. It just looks like a Mk II Rover 75 with a (too) large grille. They didn't even bother to change the wheels. Also, it appears as if the engines have lost some power and I'd have thought they would be Euro IV compliant by now.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm sorry no one will take that seriously in the UK unless it wears a Rover badge, even then it will struggle. The problem is it looks identical to the original car. If it wears a brand like SAIC the Brits will laugh at it. The model was already stretched into wearing an MG badge, stretching it further will bring credibility to breaking point.

In order for it to stand a change SAIC must buy the Rover brand. Ideally they would also follow Nanjing operation and set up a UK operation too, perhaps assembling CKD kits....

1 - 20 of 111 Posts