China Car Forums banner

181 - 200 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Saab Production - Restarted in Trollhatten This Week!

Saab has re-commenced production at its Trollhatten facility in order to fulfill its backlog of 2000 cars.

The mini line or pre production line for the upcoming (yes, I insist its is still upcoming) 9-5 is back online as well! It seems Saab are not stopping development of the tooling at the facility.

The above photo is a scan from a book.

The 9-3 Convertible has also commenced production in Sweden for the first time ever!

Here is the first 9-3 Convertible to roll off the line. Note the 9-5 SportEstate in the background! It seems, out of the 2000 remaining orders, someone wanted the 12 year old sex machine! (yea, i went there!)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
nzsaab said:
KiwiGuy

As I know you are a French speaker I though I would post the Price Guide (In french, sorry no english) here: http://www.ilovesaab.be/documents/pdf/fr/BE_PriceNew95_FR.pdf
That's interesting. Every colour except Artic White is metallic and therefore you have to pay extra. Eh? Some manufacturers have that sort of paint as standard. Even Toyota does.

Basically the 9-5 has the same sort of stuff you will find from Saab, though they have done good in my books for ditching the horrible 3 spoke mags that were available on the previous model.

You will be surprised that there is more English in there than you might have first known.

·
Registered
156 Posts
KiwiGuy

I have read the booklet as well and I also noticed that I could understand alot of it.

Im also glad the 3 spokes are gone, but I wouldnt count on that being permanant as the enthusiasts of that alloy type will go on at Saab (crazy I know, but they are very popular)

Saab has always offered metalic paint as an option.
As I recall on the current 9-3 and 9-5 range they usually offer solid paint colour free: Laser Red, Black, and Polar White and the rest costs more. Its always been like that. I dont know why (I did think it was abit behind the times, but hey)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
And do you know why they are axing the Falcon? As I said it's all about costs. The Mondeo, Focus, Fiesta and a lot of other Ford models are all global models which bring in millions and take very little in terms of design and manufacture. The Falcon was a costly car in terms of development and ultimately was only a market specific model which compared with cars like the Focus and Mondeo wasn't bringing in money. But that axing also means that the Falcon ute and Territory SUV will go as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
KiwiGuy

EVERY CAR costs ALOT to develop, (excluding platforms shared between brands, say Chevy, Buick etc).

Falcon could be very popular in other markets besides NZ and OZ which means there could be a possibility of becoming a global seden. Perhaps Arabia? Perhaps even China? its upto ford really.

ALL brands are considering pulling out of Australian production. Which is a shame, however the money just isnt here. It costs alot to assemble loacally.

Anyways, its too far off the subject of this thread.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Test Drive - 2010 Saab 9-5 Aero (more a test ride)

Its by far a long way from a Test Drive that Jeremy Clarkson would do but his time will come.

A guy named Bart W. Heres his write up.

My father and I went to the Saab stand immediately when we arrived at the Brussels motor show...

There we saw an old friend from back in the days my Dad started working on Saab cars and connecting with dealers. Joris is his name. He invited us to come look at the the new 9-5 Aero and told us about the shape and the details that make this new Saab a real SAAB. Then he went a way for a few minutes and came back and said to my father "here you go Marc, what do you think about a test drive with the new 9-5 aero at 11.30?"

"What? You're serious! Sure, thanks a lot!"

Then the test pilot came and said follow me! We went outdoors and there he was in that nice blue trim and 19 inch rims. We got into the car, fastened seatbelts and off we went.

First slowly to the highway and then BOOM, the 2.8 V6 turbo engine kicked in! Easily to 180 km/h and then the guy said now look how it accelerates from here.... BOOM again, full trottle to 210 km/h - easy!

We then went off the highway just in front of a BMW that also was leaving the highway. An ABS test..... Full brakes...... Changing lanes and still the car is in complete control due to the 100 adjustments per second ABS system.

Then again full throttle on the highway back to the car show. At the end there were several corners; a left one at 120 degrees in to a sharp right. On the other side there were trucks and cars but we took the inside at a mind blowing speed! I thought we were going to fly out this corner for sure, no way....... It stuck to the ground like glue!

This car is amazing! I have been in a few test drives now, but this was the mother of all test drives to me! This is a real SAAB! This car has to be produced. The world will be blown away!

What this car can perform and handle, its like no other feeling!

KiwiGuy told me recently he has read the car is too boring. I think this confirms otherwise - and this dude wasnt even driving!

For many years Saab's have been known very widely as drivers cars and drivers cars only. The centre stacks have always been angled at the driver in a sort of hint for the passengers to leave it alone. This car clearly showed that the ride was great for passengers too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Saab Support Convoy

Below is the sole supporter who turned up in Saudi Arabia! GO HIM! Saab's are not very common in Saudi so I wasnt suprised.

Saab Support Convoy in Switzerland below:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Saab 9-4x Update

It has been reported by Automotive News that there has been 149 Saab 9-4x units produced at the GM Mexico plant as of date. These cars are most likely quality test cars, crash test cars and of course show cars. Although I find it hard to swallow that GM and Saab need 149 cars to do the latter.

I think its more likely that GM ordered the cars to be produced so that the parts that had already been made and delivered to the factory could be used and not scrapped. (9-4x shares platform and assembly with other GM products). This could most likely be a "run out" model or a "closing down" model offered for the North American market.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
SAAB IS SOLD TO SPYKER!

From Saabs United.com
GM Reaches Agreement to Sell Saab to Spyker

2010-01-26

DETROIT - General Motors and Spyker Cars NV today confirmed that they have reached a binding agreement on the purchase of Saab Automobile AB.

"Today's announcement is great news for Saab employees, dealers and suppliers, great news for millions of Saab customers and fans worldwide, and great news for GM," said John Smith, GM vice president for corporate planning and alliances.

"General Motors, Spyker Cars, and the Swedish government worked very hard and creatively for a deal that would secure a sustainable future for this unique and iconic brand, and we're all happy for the positive outcome," Smith said.

As part of the agreement, Spyker intends to form a new company, Saab Spyker Automobiles, which will carry the Saab brand forward. The sale will be subject to customary closing conditions, including receipt of applicable regulatory, governmental and court approvals. Other terms and conditions specific to the sale will be disclosed in due time.

The Swedish government is at present reviewing the transaction and the related request for guarantees of a Saab Automobile loan that has been requested from the European Investment Bank. Assuming quick action, the transaction is expected to close in mid-February, and previously announced wind down activities at Saab will be immediately suspended, pending the close of the transaction.

"Throughout the negotiations, GM has always had the hope to find a solution for Saab that would avoid a wind down of the brand," added Nick Reilly, president, GM Europe. "We've worked with many parties over the past year, including governments and investors, and I'm very pleased that we could come to such a good conclusion, one that preserves jobs in Sweden and elsewhere. GM will continue to support Saab and Spyker on their way forward."

·
Registered
156 Posts
Rally Red Lancer GTS

As has been covered by me in many other places (other than China Car Forums) I am EXTREMLY EXCITED for Saab's future and EXTREMLY GRATEFUL that Saab has been sold to a company that understands Saab and will let Saab fully stretch its wings and develop cars it wants to develop.

I had a deep down feeling Saab would be saved and its now been confirmed.

Im very glad Buick will be keeping their dirty hands off our 9-5.

Im looking forward to seeing the 9-4x. (One day I would like to own one seeming GM didnt offer the 9-7x in NZ)

And YES you will be able to purchase the new 9-5 Aero in USA

·
Registered
706 Posts
So, as my wife and I pay off our '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS(we now have 48,698 miles on the car)and enjoy the heck out of it, my internet searchings have drummed up several future purchase possibilities.

They include the BYD e6 all-electric car, the new under-development Mitsubishi PX-MiEV SUV, shown below, which is a gas/electric hybrid.

I am starting to warm to this new larger than Outlander SUV. Also, Mitsubishi is releasing to the U.S. in about a year this little all-electric car called the i-MiEV. Here it is:

I have two more that are vying for my fancy. One is the all-new ICE car the Suzuki Kizashi. It's a mid-sized car that has a lot of the sport-tuned attributes of my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. Here is the Suzuki Kizashi. I am really starting to love this new Kizashi sedan.

I have priced-out a 2010 Suzuki Kizashi in 6-speeds, FWD(no optional AWD req'd), Vivid Red metallic paint job, 425-watt Rockford Fosgate 10-speaker stereo(my '08 Lancer GTS also has a RF stereo but mine has 650-watts total), foglights, one-touch sunroof(once again similar to my Lancer GTS from Mitsu)and it comes out to about $23,234. Which is only $1,000 more than my '08 Lancer GTS cost. I am very interested in a Suzuki Kizashi but at only 48,698 miles we're in no big hurry to trade in, and we don't need two cars.

My wife doesn't drive but said she'd consider learning to drive and then buying when available in the U.S. an Indian-made Tata Nano grocery-getter(said to cost about $8,000 when beefed up for American roads) for driving around little Willcox, AZ, our small SE Arizona hometown.

Lastly, nzsaab, I am truly interested in the 2010 Saab 9-5 Aero. I am not in a position to need a new car, but this new 9-5 Aero may just beat all of the others I've mentioned out because it's so darn elegantly beautiful!

What'd'ya think of all of my babies I'm looking at, nzsaab? Believe me, they're a handful ta take care of!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Orginally posteed by nzsaab
Im very glad Buick will be keeping their dirty hands off our 9-5.
I'm afraid it probably won't be that way. I remember seeing a Buick concept which was a rebadged Saab 9-5.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I am very pessimistic about Saabs future. I am afraid the Victor Muller scenario is: buy Saab with a loan of European money which is guaranteed by the Swedish government. Saab won't make it and finally the Swedish state has to provide the money. Saab is broke again, the Swedish government lost 450 milliard Euro and the company will finally be sold (to a Chinese company?) or closed. Mr. Muller receives a nice salary and he is happy.
Another barrier: what if the European Investbank doesn't give the loan? ("It has been requested".)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Rally Red Lancer GTS

In response to your possible future purchases.

If you are going to buy an SUV, wait for the 9-4x, its like a new 9-5 but in SUV form. Interior will be almost identical.

For get the I Meiv, yuk.

I dont mind the Suzuki Kizashi but the name is WAYYYY to Japo for my liking.

It seems your taste in cars varies from all areas of the price range. But if your budget will stretch BUY THE 9-5 AERO!!!!!

Saab need the sales and you need a sporty, luxurious, handsomely equiped, practical and sooo beautiful 9-5 Aero SportSedan.

181 - 200 of 254 Posts