China Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
FUNKY!

A reminder of GM's ideas of destroying individualisim within brands and attempting to make everyone look the same!

A refined but very opel touch!

A modern ignition for a class leading car . . . or so Id like to think!

More next post . . .

·
Registered
156 Posts
Very supporting seats although I wouldnt choose this rather dull colour. I dont really like the headrests, too chunky.

Ah yes, my very dream to hop into a car and on the console display this very fine marque's logo appeas! I would recomend for next time to dust the car before the press arrive! This isnt some low key Tata Nano launch! This is the launch of Audi, Volvo and BMW's best attempt at conpetition from Saab yet!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Maybe Saab could'v come up with something more modern than the broad dashboard which, in my view, does not match the instrument cluster, centre console, or the rest of the car. This simply reeks of early 90's styling which Saab have pioneered.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hello again KiwiGuy and welcome to Saab Rally Red Lancer GTS.

Firstly to Kiwiguy, I think when you look back in hindishgt at what Saab has offered over the years from its rather limited model range you will notice that this is quite a step up. I would say rather that it reaks of Opel insignia and too much GM influence. It must be kept in mind that this is the first Saab to use 100% GM parts and shares most parts with the cars it was meant to be built alongside with, namely Opel Insignia. It must also be taken into account that this car was developed very quickly and at a huge budget. Both GM and Saab dont have alot of cash and neither make profits so the development of the new 9-5 was always going to be a let down before it started. None the less it will still enter the market and compete with the big boys.

To Rally Red Lancer GTS, I feel sure there will be several interior options availible on this model, keep in mind that pictured is a base model version (or as we say at Saab, Linear) with options added to show the press.

·
Registered
156 Posts
SAAB HEADLINE - PLEASE READ

It has come to my attention that Saab have issued a recall notice to all Saab 9-3 V6 Aero and Turbo X owners from model year 2006 - 2009. If you are an owner of a Saab 9-3 Turbo X or Aero model that fits that description please see your dealer immediatly. It is not a safety recall

The issue at hand is with the expansion tank, hot water vapour in the hose from the turbocharger may lead to rapid ageing of the expansion tank and result in cracks which could lead to coolant leakage. A corrected expansion tank and other components will be replaced by your local Saab dealer at no cost.

Saab appologise for any inconvenience. This issue apparently has come up in the past to Holden's Commodore V6 powered cars, which incidentily is where Saab source their V6 engines from.

It seems that when Saab outsource engines, such as the Holden V6 and the Isuzu sourced V6 TID there always seems to be reliability issues!

A copy of the information dealers recieve is shown below:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Saab's ALL NEW 9-5 Aero Unveiled!

On Thursday as planned Saab Automobile AB officially unveiled information about its all new flagship model, the Saab 9-5 Aero.

Yesterday was the first day that Saab has officially unveiled anything about the new 9-5 as the previous photos of the base model 9-5 were press shots which were not sapposed to be shown until after the launch.

The 2010 Saab 9-5 Aero will feature a 300hp V6!

Now those are sexy tailpipes!

From this angle, the all new 9-5 Aero looks massive and looks like a worthy contender for competition for the A6 and M5:

More shots next post . . .

·
Registered
156 Posts
An agressive front end has always been a Saab hallmark, the all new 9-5 confirms that the Saab spirit remains strong:

Very butch indeed!

http://www.trollhattansaab.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/2010Saab9-5off.jpg

Theres nothing like being fashionably late to the party and in this case Saab are super late when it comes to some modcons! Such as push-button start/ stop!

And heads up display!

What does China think?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Koenigsegg and BAIC to take control of Saab?

From China Car Times
Beijing Auto Works have teamed up with Koenigsegg to take on Saab according to Chinese media reports from late this afternoon.

The announcement comes as a shock to many, as it was expected that Shanghai GM would take on a sleeping partner roll in Saab from GM, but it seems that GM have favoured an outright sale of the now independent car marker to a Koenigsegg/Beijing Auto Industry Corporation (BAIC) alliance.

Koenigsegg are expected to take on 100% of Saab with BAIC bringing the 290 million Euros to the table that Koenigsegg were lacking. Saab is now a step closer to being a Sweedish company once again, albeit with a Chinese company to aid it.

It’s unsure what will become of the deal, as it BAIC were unsuccesful in buying Opel from GM due to the possibility of future conflict if BAIC put GM platforms and engines from Opel into production in China, a market where GM performs extremely well with little competition.
This is interesting. Watch This Space.

·
Registered
706 Posts
nzsaab, man, the new Saab 9-5 is one handsome sedan. It really is. I will be coming back here to learn of new developments. That car looks as sharp as a tack. Doesn't matter to me if they're late to the game with pushbutton start, either.

·
Registered
156 Posts
To KiwiGuy, I wondered how long it would take you to find that news before I posted it here myself! But seeming you have already reported, I wont repeat.
I was not suprised that the Chinese would eventually have some sort of interest in Saab, namely BAIC seeming they missed out on the Opel deal. Apparently they were one of the bidders for Saab outright a few months ago. I think BAIC's decision to become involved through Koeinegsegg is a great move both for Saab and everyone else involved. For Saab, it means the Chinese dont get to be involved directly in Saab's designs. For Koeinegsegg it means they can fulfil its requirements to raise enough capital for the purchase. For BAIC, it means they have ownership in a foreign company and can learn alot from Saab's advanced engineering abilities. There are many other great outcomes from this deal but thats all from the top of my head as of now.

I heard last week that the Saab Automobile AB factory in Trollhatten, Sweden is now among the most productive and streamlined in Europe!

To Rally Red Lancer GTS, thankyou for your comments on the 2010 9-5 SportSedan, I agree, it is very handsome. In two more days it will be revealed at the Frankfurt Autoshow. I will post some more photographs in the coming week.

Keep watch of this thread for more info, the thread of which I have rather stole from my mate KiwiGuy!

·
Registered
706 Posts
And yes, nzsaab, those are some seriously sexy tailpipes on the 2010 Saab 9-5! Whew, in fact, the entire rear end looks rather masterfully done. The more I look at that front end with the angling lower side treatment the more I like it, too. Makes me wonder how this sedan might look in my favorite car color, red.

Yes, I'm now hooked on this thread and eagerly await updates on the 2010 Saab 9-5!

Three more things I like about this design: the nice wheels, compare them to my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS' wheels shown on my Lancer GTS below, and the front turn signal indicators on the 2010 Saab 9-5, in amber color. Now those are cool looking, too. And also the small black open spot on the very inside of the headlights, by the grille centerpiece. Very nicely done. This car is hot and I have added it to my watch list. It did have to grow on me for just a while, however I think this design will catch people's eyes at Frankfurt upon first glance. It has a strong hint of Audi in it's design, and for me, that is a good thing.

Looking at the 2010 Saab 9-5 photos as a whole, this is a great car to buy in silver. Looks magnificent on this car. By George, I think I'm getting hooked on the Saab 9-5, nzsaab!

And hopefully Saab will list U.S. prices at the Frankfurt Auto Show. And nzsaab, it appears to say Turbo on that right side emblem on there...so it's got a 300hp turbo V6 then, eh?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi again, Rally Red Lancer GTS.

Im so very glad you like the all new Saab 9-5 Aero SportSedan. I hope you will be in the market for one in the future because if you have seen what I have seen in terms of last months world sales figures there may not be a Saab around for too much longer unless someone buys this 9-5 in bulk!

Saab's have always looked good in red. I really liked the old 9-5 Aero Sedan (wasnt cool enough to be called a 'SportSedan') in Laser Red.

Heres a close shot of the alloy for you:

In my own personal opinion I think Saab have done a tremendous job in creating a new flagship car for their range in a rather cash strapped environment.

What will be even more exciting will be the next generation 9-3 range. But dont get too excited because the current 9-3 range is scheduled to get another facelift before it leaves the family. That next facelift will bring the current 9-3 into the same sort of design ideas as the new 9-5 with a similar interior, similar rear, similar front end etc. But never mind, thats a few years off yet.

The 2010 Saab 9-3x is now availible for order and I have heard about 300 9-3x's have been built to date. (Some Saab employees in Trollhatten already have them! Even in red just for you!

The 9-4x has almost fallen into oblivion in terms of media coverage but is expected in 2011, the same year as the 9-5 SportEstate.

From what I know, you choose either a V6 Trubo a twin turbo diesel on the Aero, a turbo diesel an option on Vector and Linear and a standard 4 cylinder petrol in the Linear which I would imagine would be pretty gutless in such a big car!

Will keep you posted of anything exciting in the coming week.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Unfortunately we have not adopted the diesel's here in the States because of our strict environmental pollution rules, however, I will watch that because it could be changing or have already changed.

Yes, I would want the V6 turbo or the twin turbo diesel on the Aero. A 4-cyl would not seem to be enough power to move this car effectively, however, I am very 4-cyl friendly in cars I buy. In fact, the last time I had a bigger engine was in my '73 Plymouth Gold Duster. That car had a slant-6 cyl. engine in it.

I'll be coming back here regularly to learn more. Thanks for the freshen-ups, nzsaab!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Is China as excited as I am about the launch of the 9-5 today-tomorrow (depending on where you are) at the Frankfurt Motorshow?

Im soooooo excited, a new 9-5 is finally here!

It seems Saab left the cover off when they wernt sapposed to! Before the show has even started and someone shot this!

More news will be posted when Im at the computer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Saabs United has released prep photos of the 9-5 launch at the Frankfurt Autoshow!

Heres a shot of the cafe area! Dam those seats look comfy! Id love one for my house! Cheers Swade:

The new 9-5 will appear from this door:

The 9-3x is on dispaly and looking very handsome:

Cheers Swade from Saabs United. If you want to get the most acurate up to date news just check out www.saabsunited.com

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
9-5 is rear wheel drive, because I cannot think how bad the steering would be if it were front. The old chassis could just handle 250bhp.

Also, is the Saab 9-3x a seperate model or part of the 9-3 range?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Kiwiguy

Hi again, I think it was fair to say that it was time to get real and get a rear wheel drive! If you are going to have an effective flagship car with lots of performance, ditch the front wheel drive. But being real here myself, the real reason as to why it is a rear wheel drive is probably because of its underpinnings, remember this car was developed on a budget and was intended to be built alongside the Opel Insignia (which it now wont be).

The 9-3x will be apart of the 9-3 family however it doesnt have a tag name after for example: Saab 9-3 SportSedan or Saab 9-5 SportEstate its just plain Saab 9-3x.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I see little point when the 9-3x is only availible in combi form. Saabs main website saab.com displays the 9-3x as simply 9-3x where all other models have a tag name like SportCombi etc.

For those of you interested, the 9-3x is now availible to order at your local dealer, so get your checkbooks out!!!!! YAY

61 - 80 of 254 Posts