China Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a rumour going around in some Chinese news reports that SAIC are requesting help from Nanjing Auto to make the Roewe 750. The rumours are that they are requesting technological help and that they are now concerned that NAC can manufacture the Rover 75 for a lot less than they can. The rumour is that SAIC is also concerned that they won't be able to sell the Roewe 750 in international markets where the MG version sells because the MG version will be cheaper, better equiped and have the much more exciting MG name.

Some reports are suggesting that SAIC have fired most of the Roewe senior management and brought in new people (some coming from GM). There are even rumours of long waiting lists which SAIC can't meet because they are struggling to make the car. What isn't a rumour is that SAIC are saying that they plan to have a meeting with NAC to discuss technological co-operation, and yet to date NAC has said it want's nothing to do with SAIC.

Frankly I'm not sure what to believe. But if rumours are true then SAIC has poured a lot of money down the drain. I think it woud be incredible if they have screwed up so badly...having said that a number of people did say that the Rover 75 had some hideously hi-tech production methods. Maybe SAIC can't recreate them? I know for example that the Rover 75 had a patented clam shell assembly method, which only NAC and BMW are allowed to use. How are SAIC welding the cars together? Maybe this is one of the issues?

Anyone actually know what's happening?

Btw for those that are interested the new MG website is lookin' good!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Real_I_Hate_China said:
So you think the company that built millions of cars is asking another company that never built cars in volume for tech assistance? I can't stop laughing.
Yes. The Rover 75 uses BMW production methods. SAIC don't make any cars as sophisticated as a BMW. For example the Rover 75 is built using clam shell assembly techology. Only two car makers in the world know how to do this. MG and BMW. SAIC are trying to backward engineer this. That's VERY difficult as it cost BMW millions to develop in the first place.

Your the one who say's the Chinese struggle at such things not me. Read the Chinese news reports. They are carrying quotes of SAIC officials asking NAC for technology co-operation. They are even trying to buy components of NAC. The thing is, NAC should kill Roewe at birth. They should refuse to supply any components to Roewe. NAC can make 200,000 MG 7's a year on a fully automated production line provided to them by BMW of Germany (via the UK). They require less staff. SAIC can only make 50,000 a year on a partially automated line. All NAC have to do now is undercut SAIC. Who then would buy a Roewe which has a waiting list with no firm delivery dates (as far as I can see at least). All things considered the Roewe 750 looks poorly concieved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts