China Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think this one of the greatest missed opportunity for the Chinese auto makers to get a foot hold in North America with exsisting plant and infrastructure, it was sold for a measly 5 billion. Frank Magna put up a bid for it for 3 billion, he would have become the first Canadian to own a major car company. The down side of this deal was that pensions were in the 30 billion mark.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm not an industry expert but I think Chrysler would have been too big of a challenge for Chinese. Chinese are not yet ready to make these kind of big investments, they are still learning how to build good cars. On the other hand Tata is keen to buy Jaguar/Land-Rover operations. Future will tell how well they succeed.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I thought Cerberus paid more like $7 Billion for Chrysler. They bought 80% of Chrysler for that and Daimler retains 20%.

I agree that Chrysler would be a large, risky buy for a Chinese carmaker to take on right now while learning full time as the Chinese are. Many Americans are even skeptical of buying a Chrysler product because of less than stellar reliability coming from them for years.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^ is that your 2008 GTS ? I currently own a '03 Lancer and luvin it !

Waitng till the Chinese cars get here, don't like any cars here on the market for under $20,000. Mitsu is the only brand I will buy now because of low consumer knowledge about them pushing down their cost and resale value.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How Much Has Tata Improved

Raul said:
I'm not an industry expert but I think Chrysler would have been too big of a challenge for Chinese. Chinese are not yet ready to make these kind of big investments, they are still learning how to build good cars. On the other hand Tata is keen to buy Jaguar/Land-Rover operations. Future will tell how well they succeed.
My first experience with Tata was in 1990, when i was in high school. the entire offering which included: buses, cars, pick-ups, large trucks and suvs, came to the island and proved a miserable failure. i have not seen them since; i was told that the reason for this failure was the fact that they uses 1970s technology which was incompatable to the demands of the day. question; have they improved, and if so how much?

·
Registered
706 Posts
EdT-yes the picture on my posts is a picture of the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in Rally Red metallic paint. That is not my exact car, just an exact likeness! I love it dearly and wouldn't want any other car right now.

It is built extremely well and there is nary a shake, rattle or pop coming from anywhere. Just a very well built car that is fun to drive and handles very surely, too. I love the deep red finish of the paint and the bodystyle is one of my favorites of all time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rally Red Lancer GTS said:
EdT-yes the picture on my posts is a picture of the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in Rally Red metallic paint. That is not my exact car, just an exact likeness! I love it dearly and wouldn't want any other car right now.

It is built extremely well and there is nary a shake, rattle or pop coming from anywhere. Just a very well built car that is fun to drive and handles very surely, too. I love the deep red finish of the paint and the bodystyle is one of my favorites of all time.

Yer , I like the 2008 too, hopefully I will can one next summer !

·
Registered
706 Posts
EdT-my '08 Lancer GTS is going in Monday the 17th for a cleaning and detailing. It's also going to get my Mitsu dealer's program called Auto Butler. Every 6 months they will polish your car and then cover it with a paint protectant, no cost if you bought your Mitsubsihi there. Pretty good deal and I can't wait to get it done and see my Lancer GTS shine brightly once again. Those awful bugs around Arizona(and pert-near everywhere else!).

Continue to enjoy your '03 Lancer, EdT. While my '01 Sportage 4X4 was getting a new alternator put in in 2004 I rented a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer sedan and liked it and remembered it. When this '08 model came out I just loved it and we were ready to trade the Sportage 4X4 in, so we went for it. Good fortune to you in your pursuit of a new Lancer!

As for Chrysler's latest recall, it sounds like it had better get done right away. Safety is at stake. They just continue to have problems. Meanwhile there's this company in China named Chery building the new Hornet for them. Whadup widat lately, eh?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Raul said:
Tata will also get the Rover brand if they suceed. If Geeley or someone had put in a bid they would have got JLR engineering Modern UK factories and a dormant passenger car brand which they could have used on their own cars. TATA are very clever, they also now own Corus so JLR will get cheaper steel too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rally Red Lancer GTS said:
EdT-my '08 Lancer GTS is going in Monday the 17th for a cleaning and detailing. It's also going to get my Mitsu dealer's program called Auto Butler. Every 6 months they will polish your car and then cover it with a paint protectant, no cost if you bought your Mitsubsihi there. Pretty good deal and I can't wait to get it done and see my Lancer GTS shine brightly once again. Those awful bugs around Arizona(and pert-near everywhere else!).
Funny that you mention detailing ! since it is one of my passions is polishing paint. I doubt the dealer will do a good job, most don't know what the heck they are doing and only make your paint worse, it is unreal how little training and experience most new car preps have. Here is some photos of my Lancer after I detailed it in June this year:

·
Registered
148 Posts
EdT said:
I think this one of the greatest missed opportunity for the Chinese auto makers to get a foot hold in North America with exsisting plant and infrastructure, it was sold for a measly 5 billion. Frank Magna put up a bid for it for 3 billion, he would have become the first Canadian to own a major car company. The down side of this deal was that pensions were in the 30 billion mark.

yes i think the reason chryslet went down was labour, its just to costly in the US and labor there isnt even top of the line

china definately cud of cut cost in production and therefore cud of got easy entry in US and learnt some safety technology

1 - 11 of 11 Posts