China Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SMA Dealer within the Sichuan Province in China are happy about the new sales of 2009 compared with the Geely mother brand.
Local Salesmen starting to make Jokes about Geely while selling theri own products through big soundsystems outside of the dealerships.
SMA slowly develops a good reputation for young families as good priced and stable car for the future.
SMA also dropped the prices for the so called AFTER SERVICE - its free now:thumb:
while you still have to pay about 500rmb extra for Geely Models:mad:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe funny but Geely has big trouble in lil China right now while SMA is selling better and better and you can see more and more of them on chinese streets.
Everyone that i asked until now is telling me that they do not buy Geely because they remember how bad these cars where as taxis , while SMA becomes more popular for young chinsese familys.
At least thats what local car dealers and normal chinese are telling me until now.
Logan

·
Registered
305 Posts
You know, as crazy as it sounds, I can understand it. Geely IS still dealing with a lingering consumer reputation for poorly made, lousy little cars. They might last for awhile, but they are certainly not enjoyable to ride or drive. I've driven a SMA (the AA model, their 5 door 1.3l hatchback) - it is a decent car and better than I expected it to be. Good build quality, comfortable and it does not give one the impression of being a cheap car. Is it exciting to look at or drive? No........but at the same time if given a choice between this or the Geely CK, I'll take the SMA EVERY time. Geely's new generation models (the 5 door King Kong and Vision) are nice cars - and they're also 10-20,000rmb more than the SMA 205 (the AA model). The Panda is also nice - but it is about the same price as the SMA and is MUCH smaller........not much competition there. Right now, Geely's model lineup seems strange and unorganized - 3 sub-brands and no clear idea yet of how well they will fit with each other. SMA might be smaller and they don't have any exciting or contemoprary models - but their model lineup IS logical and easier for the consumer to understand, with cars that fit into price categories properly. Geely, learn from this - aggressive expansion is NOT always the right direction to go! You have diluted your brand (Geely), and instead of fighting hard to build the name up (much as Hyundai had to do in the USA during the 1990's) you seem to be trying to push it away - and the consumer end up being confused. WHO are you now? Geely? Gleagle? Englon? Emgrand? SMA just keeps cruising along with 4 or 5 models......but the NAME and BRAND of SMA is getting stronger and more solid. Hmmmm........I seem to remember a foreign car company in the USA doing the same kind of thing about 30 years ago - a company by the name of HONDA.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts