China Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Dr

Jason, I understand that in Italy there is a company named DR, which is going to build SUVs.
These cars will be made in China (platform, body) and the engine will be assembled in Italy (Fiat).
DR says that Gonow is going to build the platform and body.
At the Bologna Auto Show, three prototypes were shown. Platforms and bodies are based on the old Toyota RAV 4, a product that is until now not produced by Gonow.
Is Gonow to produce the Toyota RAV4 swb (like Feidie) and the Toyota RAV4 lwb (like Tiggo)?
Is the GA 6420 the Toyota RAV4 lwb and the GA 6390 the swb?

I hope you can answer my questions.

·
Registered
938 Posts
at bologna motor show were DR company,they have euro 4 engines and the car look like suzuki grand vitara,i think that that comapny don't have any buisness with GONOW,i think that that have fiat motor,have 120 ps

the gonow in italy was promoted by ZOTYE,it the models troy and sx6 (copy of toyota prado,which is very bad for comapny),the prices in italy is betwenn 15000 euros for pick up and 19000 euros for suv,the engine is euro 3 so can't pass in italy,and it have 90 PS

·
Registered
938 Posts
of course ZZ...i know that it's a big step forward,but if you put italian engine,or something else...you have the VM engines from italy,which is provited for chrysler,hyundai and so...and they have euro 4 and already euro 5,is you already pay the licence for engine...why you didn't take euro 4,the different isn't so big,just to put another lamba sonda and compression ratio is righer...i don't have the opurtunutty to see the engine exzaclty,is it real italian engine or chinese from you company? who is the maker..i have the prospects from ZOTYE

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
micodelija said:
the gonow in italy was promoted by ZOTYE,it the models troy and sx6 (copy of toyota prado,which is very bad for comapny)......
Micodelija could you tell us more about this Gonow-Zotye relationship in Italy? My understanding is that Zotye is a one-model automaker and that model is a Daihatsu clone. I didn't know of any Toyota Prado copy by either of these companies.

·
Registered
938 Posts
when i was at bologna they presented them as official partner for europe,but i don't know why there wasn't gonow sign??? it's was but very small...liek Zotye owns that brand??? I don't know excact relationship beetween Gonow and Zotye,but in catalog of the bologna show insted of gonow Suv was writen GONOW SUV!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Thank you Micodelija.
Maybe Zotye and Gonow are cooperating because they are neighbors in the same province of Zhejiang. Zotye in Yongang and Gonow just east in Taizhou.

I'm told FAW and Zhongxing are also cooperating in Russia.

Of course with the competition being so intense now, smaller companies like Zotye and Gonow need to cooperate. And of course the government is encouraging the consolidation of the industry.

Zotye itself absorbed Xindadi, a small SUV maker out in Sichuan Province.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The caption for this one should be:

"We've got to get rid of this GA491QE engine.....it's an old dog, too powerless to allow us to compete with all the big guys out there, who are using common rail diesels, etc.....we have to come up with something better!"

mrgq said:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
gonow, dr and zotye

To clear this mess:
At the Bologna Auto Show, (December 2006), there were two stands from DR Automobiles Groupe SpA, SS 85 Venafrana Km. 37.5, Macchia d'Isernia (IS), Italy:
One showing two models which are clearly copies of the old Toyota RAV4, the short wheelbase and the long wheelbase versions; these models are named DR 3 and DR 5, they are equipped by a 1.9 liter Fiat diesel engine. According DR the platform and body will be made by Gonow and the engine will be assembled by DR in Italy. They will be sold in Europe under the DR brand.
The second DR-stand showed Gonow SUV and pickups. The badges were Gonow, but according DR the vehicle was given a new name: KATAY. DR will import these vehicles in the Mediterenean Area, Europe, Middle East and North Africa.
So there seems to be a strong relationship between Gonow and DR.

There is no relationship with Zotye, Zotye was not present in Bologna and I don't understand how this name came into the discussion.
Greetings!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Laofan.

I can see that what Gonow lacks in experience, it makes up with enthusiasm and agressiveness. I'm surprised that DR would choose them to build bodies since they have little background in such manufacture, and up until now have been sourcing their SUVs and pickup bodies from the bodymaker Nanhai Fudi....at least as far as I know.

I wish them success and am sure it will help them garner a lot of experience in the overseas market.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
TOPIC UPDATE! November 2007

Laofan if you are out there, below is an article that sheds some more light on who DR is doing business with in China. It seems there is no relationship between the DR 3 and DR 5 and the company Gonow Auto (Ji'ao).

Italy's DR Motor builds Chinese SUV
by Luca Ciferri, Automotive News Europe
November 19, 2007

TURIN -- On November 15, almost a year after its debut at the Bologna auto show, the first DR5 medium SUV rolled off the assembly line of DR Motor Co. in Macchia d’Isernia in southern Italy.

DR Motor, a car-manufacturing subsidiary of Italian dealer group DR Automobiles Groupe, plans to build 12,000 units of the DR5 in 2008.

The five-door SUV is assembled from semi-knockdown kits of the Tiggo 3, a medium SUV built by Chinese automaker Chery Automobile Co.

The DR5 gasoline version arrives in Italy already equipped with a 109hp 1.6-liter Acteco engine built by Chery.

But for diesel versions, Fiat Powertrain Technologies supplies both a 120hp 1.9-liter common rail unit and a dedicated gearbox that DR Motor will install.

Both engines use Robert Bosch engine management systems.

In Italy, DR Motor has priced the DR5 at 16,900 euros for the gasoline version and 21,900 euros for the diesel variant.

DR Motor has invested 11.8 million euros so far in the DR5, DR Motor CEO Luca Falasca told Automotive News Europe in a phone interview.

In 2008, DR Motor also is planning to introduce the DR3, a three-door medium SUV assembled from complete knockdown kits from Chinese carmaker Jonway. Jonway sells the vehicle as the UFO in China.

DR Motor is currently talking with Carrozzeria Bertone to assemble the DR3 at the Italian coachbuilder’s plant in Grugliasco, on the outskirts of Turin.

If it cannot reach a deal with Bertone, DR Motor will assemble the DR3 in Macchia d’Isernia. Falasca said the company has a €12 million plan to build a second facility there.
But of course the relationship in regards to the Gonow-built Katay SUVs and pickups continues. I was sure that Gonow was not equipped to handle those RAV4 knockoffs but was not sure who was doing it for DR.

What is surprising to me is that the DR-Chery relationship was not broadcast by the media when the DR3 and DR5 were first shown in Bologna last year. Or did we miss it? Even in this article the DR-Chery relationship is muted.

Another puzzling piece of news recently is a possible tie-up between Gonow and Bertone. I can only understand this new development, in relationship to Gonow planning a whole new lineup of models, to replace its current body-on-frame models.

Jason if you are listening, can you help us here..........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts