China Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
China's lunar New Year is almost here. This year the date is Sunday February 18th. Another name for this celebration is the "Spring Festival". Last year was the "Year of the Dog" and this is the "Year of the Pig", a very lucky year indeed.

It seems that before the arrival of Western ideas, China, and all of East Asia, observed the lunar calendar. It's a calendar that reflects the moon's cycle rather than the sun's.

Unlike the fixed January 1st solar calendar celebration in the West, the lunar calendar New Year can fall on any day between (circa) January 15th and February 19th. It falls on the day of the second new moon, following the Winter Solstice, which is the first day of winter, or December 21st on the (Western) solar calendar.

Spring Festival lasts for about 15 days ending with the Lantern Festival (full moon). During the 15 day celebration people make a fresh start. It is time for reconciliation, making peace and forgiving old grudges. People are warm and friendly to one another and many families, friends and neighbours exchange gifts. Children receive envelopes with money gifts called Hongbao.

The record shows that it's a good holiday for selling new cars.

There are many practices that symbolize a new start. Homes and businesses are cleaned, many people wear only new clothes on New Year’s Day. A very important part of the celebration is paying honor and respect to ancestors. This is because family unity and its lineage is a central value of Chinese society.

Traditionally, on this day everyone celebrated their birthday as well and turning one year older.

Among the common greetings used during the celebration are:

新 年 快 乐 xin1 nian2 kuai4 le4 - Happy New Year
恭 喜 发 财 gong1 xi3 fa1 cai2 - Best wishes for prosperity

(numbers represent the 4 tones of the Mandarin language)

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
This is my year..........

I was born in the Year of the Pig.............I suppose this is a great year to finally buy a car here in China!! Happy (Chinese) New Year everyone!!:)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Im in Daqing this week with the wifes family, went through Trivia Tims place yesterday, Harbin. You would have to be crazy or Canadian to live this far north in such a bitter cold.

新年快乐!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JM and Windy

Hey JMSteiny,
Being born in the Year of the Pig is lucky, and this year it's especially lucky, coming only once in 60 years (or 600, depending on which astrologer you are talking to).
It's called the Golden Year of the Pig, and the maternity wards may have a problem accomodating all the couples wishing to have babies this year.

Below you can see what people born in the Pig year are said to be like.

Windy, I wish we could get Real I Hate(a Korean) and Edge(a Chinese) together for a lunar celebration party. The Lunar New Year is not the only thing that Koreans and Chinese share in common. They also share a bedrock Confucian heritage. And up until about the 20th century the two countries were very friendly toward each other, exchanging envoys regularly. Wishfully they could forget about the hot hot competition between their country's auto companies, at least for a day.

Of the 12 animals of the East Asian Zodiac, here's what is said about folks born in the Year of the Pig (1923, 1935, 1947, 1959, 1971, 1983, 1995, 2007, 2019...):

You are a splendid companion, an intellectual with a very strong need to set difficult goals and carry them out. You are sincere, tolerant, and honest but by expecting the same from others, you are incredibly naive. Your quest for material goods could be your downfall. The Pig would be best in the arts as an entertainer, or possible a lawyer.

Hope the good luck carries over to your car-buying JM.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Bassfisher, are u reffering to my smilley, lol if it is chanukah and non related to chinese new year then i will remove it LOL:lol:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Scary................

Quote from dragin..........

You are a splendid companion, an intellectual with a very strong need to set difficult goals and carry them out. You are sincere, tolerant, and honest but by expecting the same from others, you are incredibly naive. Your quest for material goods could be your downfall. The Pig would be best in the arts as an entertainer, or possible a lawyer.

OK dragin, kinda scary:eek: ...............I am music teacher/conductor (I teach band and orchestra at my school and I serve as a guest conductor all over south China) and I also play in the clubs here in Nanning (singer/bass guitarist). I guess that 2007 WILL be a lucky year for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
chinacartimes said:
Im in Daqing this week with the wifes family, went through Trivia Tims place yesterday, Harbin. You would have to be crazy or Canadian to live this far north in such a bitter cold.
Well, I am half Canadian. So I guess the other half must be crazy!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I hate this time of year, this holiday - I'm happy for those in China, but for those of us in the US who do BUSINESS with China, everything just dead stops. It's like "Take the phone off the hook, we'll see you in March"

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
down time

Hey RocknRoll, I understand where you're coming from.....and now we can appreciate how the Chinese businessman (mostly nonChristian) in China feels about our time out for Thanksgiving through Christmas party making.

Anyway, 大吉大利 (da4ji2da4li4) to you and all the other CCF regulars.....

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
dragin said:
Hey RocknRoll, I understand where you're coming from.....and now we can appreciate how the Chinese businessman (mostly nonChristian) in China feels about our time out for Thanksgiving through Christmas party making.

Anyway, 大吉大利 (da4ji2da4li4) to you and all the other CCF regulars.....
Huh - Good point!

What I would do for a 2-week national holiday in the States!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts