China Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To compete in the world car market, a car company need some core know how such as Powertrain Engineering, Body engineering, Vehicle dynamics engineering, Electrical and Electronics. To successfully develop and build a car they need to efficiently design, test, purchase and manufacture all the components and put them all together. When a body panel does not fit and/or an electrical wire did not make a good connection, the customer will be dissatisfied and the entire vehicle can become a market failure.

At the present time, NONE of the Chinese car companies can do these things well enough on their own. They rely heavily on foreign joint venture partners.

I think Chery is the most likely to succeed because since year 2000, they have developed (by copying) six different vehicles. This shows that they are gaining experience in developing a car. The ones most unlikely to succeed are FAW, SIAC and many others. It is embarrassing to see that after 50 years of making cars and trucks, FAW is trying want to rebadge the Toyota Crown and call it the HQ 3 (Redflag 3), while SIAC purchase old body and engine designs from Rovers and call it their own. It is also very embarrassing to see Landwind SUV crash test which indicate that they do not understanding the basic element of crash dynamics.

However, the brighter side of the China automotive industry is in the area of design and manufacturing of tools (plastic injection moulds, metal stamping dies and other equipment). The other area is in the manufacture of components for the auto industry. In these areas Chinese companies can compete in the world market.

China has a lot of talents, they can learn fast. I belief the future is very bright for the tooling and component industry but all the car manufacturers still has a lot to catching up to do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Agree. I even feel shamed of some of them, especially FAW and Dongfeng. Compared to other Chinese own brands, they earned a lot of money from their Joint venture with foreign companies. But We see nothing from them. The new models like Benteng and HQ3 are mainly based on Japanese cars. I really hate them.

But fortunally, we still have companies like Chery, Geely and Changan etc. Oh, plus SAIC. All of them have a long term development plan. Although they sill need a lot of freign engineering support, they will grow strong quicly.In addition, there will be more auto design graduates from universitie each year. Chinese own car engineering capability will grow strong as long as more focus can be put on it and they use the right method. Chinese is doing well in aerospace insdustry. Why can not in auto industry ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts