China Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am a big fan of the 2.2/2.5l motors which, as you may know, were originally designed by Chrysler for the K-car series of automobiles in beginning in the early and mid-1980s. I have contributed to 2.2 ignition (distributor) modifications myself.

My 2.2 engine currently undergoing repair was pulled from a 1986 Dodge Charger and the engine will be repaired and used in my 1984 Dodge Caravan, with 5-speed manual transmission.

However, since this "mini-mopar" engine in no longer being manufactured by US, and it is strictly a Chinese property now, under ownership of FAW, I am curious about how these motors are being used in China today. There are still thousands of these older vehicles on the road and sitting in junkyards in the US today.

What about the turbo versions? Will China produce 2.2 turbo kits like the Shelby T1/T2 turbo kits which are marketed for the 2.2/2.5l motors here in the US?

Are there any Chinese-made minivans which are using this motor today in China?

thanks!

·
Registered
938 Posts
as i know 2.2 gasoline engine is still avalaible in china in most of models of SUV,PICK UP's,light trucks and vans

those engines are based on toyota 4y engine and in china usually have mark 491Q, now every company have their own code, this engine usually have between 70-80 kw, some of them are carburator versions and new engines have MPI sistem, emission is euro 2 or euro 3

i have couple of vehciles from great wall motor which had this engine, models deer and safe ( vehicles based on old models of toyota hilux and 4 runner) and this engine work quite good, very simple for repair, low cost of maitance, work very good also on cold weather...but they have only one problem, big fuel consuption, between 10 or 12 liters on normal driving and from 12 to 16 on off road and highway driving, here we i live we solve that with installation of LPG sistem which is much cheaper than gasoline

here is a photo of that engine,this have 78 kw

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure this is the same 4-cylinder 2.2 engine? It doesn't look the same to me. It might have the 'short block' components but there is no way to determine this from your photo.

I read that the FAW "Little Red Flag" CA7220 has this 2.2litre Chrysler motor, and the bodywork is based on Audi.
Also I read that FAW produces two variations of the CA4 family of engines, the CA4G22E and CA4G25E.

When the motor was produced and marketing in the US as the K-car series, Chrysler introduced over 12 different designs of cars and with this engine and transmission combination. I'm sure there are more designs in China.

I noticed a FAW 29-seat passenger mini-bus which appears to have the turbo 2.2 FAW (Chrysler) motor, so that is only photo of a 2.2 I have seen in China.
I have also noted a 2009 POLARSUN Police Minibus which appears to have this motor. This looks somewhat similar to my van, but I don't see the motor in the photo.

Yes, I think the 2.2 motor is quite strong and durable, I have this engine on my work van (I work in landscaping and occassional have to pull a trailer with lawnmowers). I have had it for over 5 years, and already I had to replace the clutch disk twice (I have a 5-speed transmission). But that is because I tow a lot of heavy things!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are a few ideas which I thought I would post, related to the 2.2/2.5l motor.

FAW should consider marketing after-market 2.2/2.5l fuel injection kits. It primarily should be introduced it into the USA marketplace which still has a lot of these carbureted 4-cylinder "K-cars" on the roads today (and for the near future). This would help to encourage the owners of the 2.2 with carburetors to change for more fuel-efficiency. This would be only practical way to convert to fuel injection for the older K-cars here in the USA.

Of course, electronic ignition is typically integrated into the fuel injection system, but I would prefer to keep the fuel system as simple as possible. Mainly because I have established a low cost technique to convert the 2.2 electronic distributors to the old fashioned "points/condensor" distributors. The main advantage to this conversion is that 2.2/2.5 engines with burned-out electronics and associated wiring need not go to the salvage yards. You can completely scrap out the original 2.2 electronic ignition system with the integrated computer boards and wiring, and go for the traditional points "Kettering" distributor. I have successfully done this ignition mod on my 1984 Dodge Caravan with a stock 2.2 ltr. motor.

To begin with, this modification uses the same distributors found in older, air-cooled German VW engines which are commonplace in the USA. These are the Bosch "009" centrifugal-advance distributors. New VW/Bosch 009 units can be purchased in the $60 dollar range here in the USA. With minor modifications, this distributor can be swapped out and installed on the stock 4-cylinder 2.2 K-car. To make the 009 distributor fit in your 2.2 motor, you have to replace the stock 009 distributor drive cog with the stock K-car's cog, both of which are fixed in a similar fashion to their respective shafts with a securing pin at the bottom of the shaft. I have all of this explained on a separate web page which I can post later.

So I am thinking that, ideally, a successful after-market fuel injection kit for the 2.2/2.5 engine should be able to work with the above modification of the distributor.

Also I think the possibility of a FAW-designed turbocharger kit would be welcome. Current turbochargers are relatively expensive here in the USA. I would consider this idea, as I need the extra power sometimes.

I believe that China could do all of this on a very cost-competitive level, compared to the current turbocharger and fuel injection kits marketed in the US.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts