China Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Sorry I am not trying to be rude but....

" General Discussion
Anything and everything about China Manufactured Cars "

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
jmsteiny said:
This opens up a interesting issue for me............safety vs. price. I read another article about the Nano (courtesy of our friends at China Car Times) that says in order to achieve the $2,500 target price the Nano does not have things like ABS, airbags and even NO safety side beams within the doors for passenger protection. Granted, this is not supposed to be a highway car, and therefore the assumption is at normal city street speeds you don't NEED those things to survive a accident. I also know that cars like Geely's MR and Xiali's N3 don't have ABS or airbags either - but I've NEVER heard of a small car that has PURPOSELY left out things like safety side beams! NO WAY would I buy a car which has such MINIMAL passenger protection - nor would I buy a car from a company that does this on purpose to keep costs down. To me, Tata is saying "keeping the cost low is more important than people's lives" - WTF??????? It is ALSO a VERY "bare bones" car - no a/c, power windows, radio/CD - it makes a Geely Haoqing look luxurious by comparison. Sorry - if I were to buy a really low cost micro car I'd wait for the upcoming Chery QQ2 or the BYD F1 - more "creature comforts" AND I'll also have a much better chance of surviving in a accident.

Sorry, I am being a hypocrite here, I am just gonna say something really quick. You are right, this car is not designed to run on highway at high speed. An article from the UK times online states that this car is only safe when travel at the speed of 7 mph which is the average speed on the Indian roads.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
There are a few things I would like to say here, firstly Tata has no plans to sell it outside India probably until 2011, second Tata himself said in an interview that no China dealers associate him to this car. Thirdly, referring to Land Rover and Jaguar, let us not forget BMW and Ford, and did Land Rover and Jaguar do any good for BMW and Ford in the end of the day ? Not to mention Ford and BMW are the big names in auto industry and they could not get Land Rover and Jaguar back up on. So I think we will have to wait and see what Tata can do.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Re: Tata to display Nano at 2008 Beijing Auto Show

martin_krpan said:
Tata's super cheap Nano to show up at 2008 Beijing Auto Show.

source: Gasgoo.com

Fierce competition may turn out to be a good thing.

So I say bring it on !

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
erm... Geely was a no name company in China at first, if they started out by selling expensive cars then who would have bought it ? ye the mass population can really afford expensive cars ? :lol:

you're funny.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
To answer your question.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/04/21/business/auto.php?page=1

If Chinese people did not really give cheap cars a chance with the so called "face" value then Chery would not have made it to the 4th largest maker in China in just 5 years.

In China, it is called " face" value but in other countries it is called "image" problem. it is just a different use of word.

as you may not know the "face" value thing exists in most of East Asian countries if not all.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You should know how crazy the Chinese car market is with all the foreign marques (very similar to American market) Chinese market now is not like the Japanese or Korean markets back in the days that were heavily protected by the government to allow domestic ones to flourish, China now is facing a globalized world, all the foreign marques are making a killing in China. Chinese people are exposed to all brand names and shit, that's why they are more picky, darn even GM largest market outside the US now is China, same thing can be said for many German brands such as Audi, VW and BMW, they are literally making buckloads of $$$. I would consider it a remarkable feat that domestic maker like Chery can even make it to the top 4 with all the competition pressure from foreign firms.

China is like a struggling site, if Chinese cars can survive in home market against foreign marques then they'll be more likely to survive in foreign markets with all the experience gained in the deadly competition.

And I am not just talking about cars here, this heavy competition is everywhere in China from electronics sector to computers , domestic brands are sweating in a fight with foreign brands right on their homeland, can you believe that.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
penlei00 said:
yes,thanks your stament.where are you?

I am currently living in the United Kingdom. :)

PS : Even Italian and French cars are in China and they are not even in the US. Crazy

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If Tata wants to come to China then let them come, China is already a fierce battlefield between big multinationals and local Chinese like Chery, I just want to see how long Tata will survive in China. This will add on fuel to the competition further, which is a good thing for development.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
weezy_24 said:
Hi..

I like the car. Tata is on the list as far as a company to look out for. I am interested in Chinese too. I don't see any models that stand-out. It is true some models are copied.It doesn't look good for the reputation.Anyway,
which is the pick of all the Chinese manufacturers?

Hi

Welcome to CCF, I hope you have a nice stay.

I say SAIC the Roewe 550

http://www.chinacarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2268&page=9

and the Chery A3

http://www.chinacarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3552&page=7

And maybe the up-comming Chery Faira YY

http://www.thetycho.com/news_chery27.htm

Can you please tell us something about the Tata Nano please, why you like it ? what features do you think that make it stand out ? apart from being the world's cheapest car?

Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts