China Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
dragin said:
Cars in China are usually made for use that includes highway driving. (Yet to be done C-NCAP tests not withstanding.) But this little urban runabout is not designed for highway driving.
And the piracy vigilantes might peg the Nano as a Chang'an CM8 knockoff?
Hi guys,

I'm an Aussie and new to the site. I like photo chopping so I might see what I can do in your talent section.

On the Tata, I agree it is only a city car as look at those wheels. When I say it I thought of Fords T Model and the Citroen 2CV and the VW Beetle, they all shared large wheel size to cope with poor roads. I would have thought that a car aimed at poorer people in emerging markets would have the same problems with variable road conditions.

;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have to agree with many of your assertions that this car is unsafe (as is) by almost any standard. However, considering the size of the car is actually slightly larger than MBs "Smart" offering at 1/10 the price- it certainly does make you wonder why we've all been paying so much more for only a few more features? Even with a 50hp motor (perhaps electric to eliminate the need for a transmission and say nine more batteries), door side beams, better tires, wheel bearings,another windshield wiper, basic A/C and an el cheapo am/fm radio (with 2speakers), etc... This car could still be sold as a reasonably outfitted "Green" commuter for under 5k!!!!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Not to mention that one can't exceed 44mph in a Tato Nano, not by any means safe. Even if it is going to be primarily used in an urban setting, it doesn't seem too safe if one has to worry about burning out their car's wheel bearings if they exceed 44 mph. If the car's engine has a governor or just has a weak engine, and can't even reach 44mph, well, then maybe that's another story, eh?

·
Registered
450 Posts
My car only has one wiper.

One of my other cars is a fiat cinquecento sporting, from 1995. It's a 1.1 litre/ 54hp little box on wheels and I think it is a great product. No ABS, airbags etc but cheap, light and fun to drive. Sadly they don't make a car quite like it anymore, even the new 500 or the panda are bigger, heavier and more expensive. Nearest equivalent I guess is the excellent Toyota Aygo / Peugeot 107 / Citroen C2.

This Tata Nano, my early research indicates that the Chinese are generally not working on anything smaller than the 800-1100cc cars they currently have, but I think if the NAno is successful you will see some frantic activity.

I was in London yesterday, saw a couple of those G-whizz electric cars. Smaller than the Nano, people said that wouldn't catch on, but it might do. There are also some new car rental companies who by using GPS and cardreader technology are now able to offer self service by the hour car rental and that is catching on. In those cases, where people don't own the car, they won't feel such an issue with whether it looks cheap or not.

·
Administrator
17,488 Posts
Tata to display Nano at 2008 Beijing Auto Show

Tata's super cheap Nano to show up at 2008 Beijing Auto Show.

March 13, 2008 - Indian car maker Tata announced plans to display its low-cost Nano at the Beijing auto show next month, local newspaper Jinghua citing local India sources, reported today.

Tata Motor's Chairman Ratan Tata unveiled the Nano last week in Geneva Auto Show. The "cheapest car in the world" is priced at $2500, cheaper than the popular Chery QQ, which is sold at $3900 in China. The launch raises concerns over potential impact of Nano on China's automobile industry.

In a media interview last week, Ratan Tata said the company plans to export its Nano city car to Europe, South Africa and other Asian markets except China.

"China has not been seriously looked at. India is as big as China in terms of population and India is enough," he said.

Currently 50 percent auto parts used in Nano is supplied by American car and truck parts maker ArvinMeritor Inc. Chinese auto industry analysts say if Tata decides to build Nano in China, ArvinMeritor's joint venture plant with Chery is expected to provide parts for the car.

ArvinMeritor formed a joint venture with China's Chery Automobile Co in July 2007. The joint venture is expected to have total annual sales revenue of $150 million by 2010.

The Wuhu-base ArvinMeritor joint venture is expected to begin production of struts and shocks by the second half of this year.

Based in Troy, Michigan of the United States, ArvinMeritor has signed several other contracts to supply door systems to Chery. ArvinMeritor also produces parts for cars, light trucks and commercial trucks for manufacturers and the after- market.
source: Gasgoo.com

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Re: Tata to display Nano at 2008 Beijing Auto Show

martin_krpan said:
Tata's super cheap Nano to show up at 2008 Beijing Auto Show.

source: Gasgoo.com

Fierce competition may turn out to be a good thing.

So I say bring it on !

·
Registered
20 Posts
:eek:

i advice tata don't do the same error as geely.

the boss of geely LI SHU FU said he want to make the “people car ”for all chinese。so he make the most cheapest car in china at first,

but when common chinese thinks of geely car,they say the car very cheap,very ugly,they wasn't want to buy it for their no one car ,especially in big city.

so,today,geely absorb the experience,they begin turn their station in china car market.they begun sale high price car and use high technology.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
erm... Geely was a no name company in China at first, if they started out by selling expensive cars then who would have bought it ? ye the mass population can really afford expensive cars ? :lol:

you're funny.

·
Registered
20 Posts
maybe you is right.maybe because we chinese have the uniquely "face" problem.

if i buy the first car of mine,i didn't want to buy a car that everyone said it is very cheap .lol.please tell me,does just we chinse have the "face " muddle and whether the others culture background peoples have the muddle too?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
To answer your question.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/04/21/business/auto.php?page=1

If Chinese people did not really give cheap cars a chance with the so called "face" value then Chery would not have made it to the 4th largest maker in China in just 5 years.

In China, it is called " face" value but in other countries it is called "image" problem. it is just a different use of word.

as you may not know the "face" value thing exists in most of East Asian countries if not all.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You should know how crazy the Chinese car market is with all the foreign marques (very similar to American market) Chinese market now is not like the Japanese or Korean markets back in the days that were heavily protected by the government to allow domestic ones to flourish, China now is facing a globalized world, all the foreign marques are making a killing in China. Chinese people are exposed to all brand names and shit, that's why they are more picky, darn even GM largest market outside the US now is China, same thing can be said for many German brands such as Audi, VW and BMW, they are literally making buckloads of $$$. I would consider it a remarkable feat that domestic maker like Chery can even make it to the top 4 with all the competition pressure from foreign firms.

China is like a struggling site, if Chinese cars can survive in home market against foreign marques then they'll be more likely to survive in foreign markets with all the experience gained in the deadly competition.

And I am not just talking about cars here, this heavy competition is everywhere in China from electronics sector to computers , domestic brands are sweating in a fight with foreign brands right on their homeland, can you believe that.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
penlei00 said:
yes,thanks your stament.where are you?

I am currently living in the United Kingdom. :)

PS : Even Italian and French cars are in China and they are not even in the US. Crazy

·
Registered
706 Posts
I wonder if the Chinese people will buy the new Dodge Hornet when it comes out. I am thinking that they will. The A1 is so close in size but a very different body style, though.

The Chinese car market is a boomin' right now, indeed. Truly interesting to watch from afar. I am keenly interested though, because I know that eventually Chinese cars will be in wide use in the U.S. If the Fed would stop chopping down the interest rate and the dollar would grow in value some more, the U.S. domestic carmakers would sell more cars(better interest rates and car price offers)but still, the Chinese carmakers are going to make an impact felt all over in the U.S.

Can't wait to see if BYD brings their battery technology and the e6 EV crossover to the States. I might be interested in buying a rig like that.:D With a range of approximately 186 miles and the standard socket 13 hour re-charge, I'm down with that like a Kevin Durant Seattle Supersonic jump shot!

·
Registered
14 Posts
oo4load said:
That schematic is probably based on a dscussion with industry idiots driving their SUV all day long.

Saved $10 bucks on auto headlight levelers did they? Even worse, they also saved $300 on the Xenon set that requires the automatic headlight leveler. You see, most cars with halogen bulbs still have an old fashion knob for that.

Many small cars like a toyota aygo also have a 1blade wiper, and the 109hp of the Honda Fit is almost double the 68hp of the Aygo. Maybe they havent realised that the Fit, 'one of cheapest and smallest' cars in the USA is actually a normal small family car in many countries. :confused:

That said, I never felt unsafe 25 years ago when we used those 'death traps' as they are known today. The whole safety thing has been shoved down our throat more or less since the introduction of those NCAP tests. Today you don't even feel safe in a car without side bags. When riding my motorbike I never feel unsafe, I just feel I have to be carefull. It's all a mind game.
SO TRUE, A honda FIT is an average car in most countries, remember that in america we still buy those huge truck that cannot be found in any country in the world - ah yes in venezuela (my country) where the people is stupid and GAS is $0.25 A GALON - and for the PRICE this TATA CAR HAS A HUGEEEEEEEEEEEE VALUE maybe not in the US but US is just 1 of more than 200 countries .. remember that the world is not the US, you are part of it and a minority. By the way I live in AMERICA

·
Registered
264 Posts
coche said:
SO TRUE, A honda FIT is an average car in most countries, remember that in america we still buy those huge truck that cannot be found in any country in the world - ah yes in venezuela (my country) where the people is stupid and GAS is $0.25 A GALON - and for the PRICE this TATA CAR HAS A HUGEEEEEEEEEEEE VALUE maybe not in the US but US is just 1 of more than 200 countries .. remember that the world is not the US, you are part of it and a minority. By the way I live in AMERICA

i agree, SUZUKI TYpe cars have no market in US yet worldwide avg person has them cause small

21 - 40 of 56 Posts