China Car Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If Tata wants to come to China then let them come, China is already a fierce battlefield between big multinationals and local Chinese like Chery, I just want to see how long Tata will survive in China. This will add on fuel to the competition further, which is a good thing for development.

·
Registered
450 Posts
This Tata Nano business has really got the industry interested. There are a few other manufacturers going into this kind of thing such as Renault Nissan teaming up with Bajaj.

Two cylinder 700 cc engine seems to be interesting because we are working on low cost fuel injection for single and twin cylinder engines of around this capacity on lawn mowers and similar applications, as well as small motorcycles.

So I thought........ what could we use to test the product to see if it would suit a small car.

And I bought.......... one of these: It's got a rear mounted 2 cylinder 704cc engine. Sound familiar?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
erik (laofan) said:
I am happy with my cheap car!
Nice car...what's the year and make?
the displacement?
the mpg (kpl)?

Looks like a very practical car, and economical to run.

That being said I wonder why our Chinese friends have not tried to copy it. :)

NEWS FLASH: 30% increase in steel cost is putting upward pressure on Nano price plan.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi..

I like the car. Tata is on the list as far as a company to look out for. I am interested in Chinese too. I don't see any models that stand-out. It is true some models are copied.It doesn't look good for the reputation.Anyway,
which is the pick of all the Chinese manufacturers?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
weezy_24 said:
Hi..

I like the car. Tata is on the list as far as a company to look out for. I am interested in Chinese too. I don't see any models that stand-out. It is true some models are copied.It doesn't look good for the reputation.Anyway,
which is the pick of all the Chinese manufacturers?

Hi

Welcome to CCF, I hope you have a nice stay.

I say SAIC the Roewe 550

http://www.chinacarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2268&page=9

and the Chery A3

http://www.chinacarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3552&page=7

And maybe the up-comming Chery Faira YY

http://www.thetycho.com/news_chery27.htm

Can you please tell us something about the Tata Nano please, why you like it ? what features do you think that make it stand out ? apart from being the world's cheapest car?

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tata wants 4-star safety for Nano
Automotive News Europe - March 5th, 2008

GENEVA -- Tata Motors will only sell its Nano microcar in Europe if it achieves a high safety rating.

"We will only bring the Nano to Europe if it achieves a four-star rating in the Euro NCAP crash test," said Girish Wagh, director of the Nano program.

The Nano already has a full protective frame to meet local Indian safety standards, Wagh said. European versions would include airbags and other protective systems and Tata will soon be testing the vehicle to Euro NCAP standards, he said.

Tata is focusing on the Indian market for the Nano but plans to sell the car in Europe in the longer term.

"We will add the European market in the course of time." Tata Motors Managing Director Ratan Tata told Automotive News Europe. He did not say when the Nano might be sold in Europe.

Tata said the Nano could be sold in all European markets. " We are not restricting ourselves to eastern Europe. We will definitely look at western Europe. We already have distributors in Italy and Spain," he said.

Tata will focus on markets such as Asia and Africa before Europe for the Nano, Tata said. He said the company is not looking at China as a potential market.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nano deisel.

NEW DELHI: Tata Motors will strap on a diesel engine developed by German powertrain maker FEV on the soon-to-debut Nano. According to sources in the auto industry, the small diesel engine will have fuel injection systems developed by Bosch, but the rest of the platform is being developed by Tata Motors and FEV.

FEV is an independent engine and powertrain systems research, design and development company, headquartered in Aachen, Germany. The Nano engine is not its only connection with India. M&M is also working with FEV for its electric-diesel hybrid Scorpio.

Although Tata Motors has so far only showcased its petrol Nano — kitted with a 623 cc, two-cylinder, MPFI engine with four-speed manual transmission — it has already announced a diesel and even a hybrid are in the pipeline. At its premiere in the Auto Expo earlier this year, Tata Motors chairman Ratan Tata had said: “By and large we’ve always been a diesel company so we will have a diesel version that will follow this variant soon after.”

According to sources in the auto industry, the car will sport the world’s first 800 cc, turbo charged, CRDi diesel engine. The diesel powertrain Nano will probably roll out in 2009. While Bosch is working on the CRDi system for the Nano, Honeywell Turbo India is working on the turbo charger. When contacted a Tata Motors spokesperson refused to comment.

Sources say the 800 cc, turbo charged, CRDi diesel engine will be two-cylinder and crank out at least 30% more mileage compared to 800 cc petrol cars. Given that the smallest diesel engine in India right now is the 1.3 litre Fiat multijet CRDi engine that Suzuki has strapped on to the Swift and both Tata and Fiat will use in its future models, the Rs 1 lakh car will offer at least 40% better fuel efficiency than any small diesel currently available.

The turbo-charged CRDi diesel engine on the Nano would mean that it won’t be an unsophisticated ‘naturally aspirated’ engine like earlier cheaper diesels in India. In technology and sophistication terms it will be no less than the Swift diesel or the Getz diesel or even the Fiesta, Fusion, Verna, Logan and other new generation diesel models currently available.

Though popular earlier, naturally aspirated diesels are now virtually extinct in India. Because they are not Euro 4 compatible which will be the mandated emission norm by 2010, companies have been replacing naturally aspirated diesels with turbo charged CRDi diesel engines.

·
Registered
19 Posts
TATA/Fiat Nano, deisel, air or maybe electric version in the future.

See, Tata and Fiat already work together to distribute commercial trucks outside of India, and Tata reckons the Fiat badge might hold a bit more cache.

The world’s cheapest car, the Tata Nano, is to get a diesel engine, according to a report in The Economic Times. An 800cc twin-cylinder turbocharged common-rail diesel engine has been developed by powertrain firm FEV, Bosch and Honeywell. The unit is designed primarily for the Indian market.

The Economic Times of India is reporting Tata has teamed up with German engineering firm FEV (who's also developing the hybrid system on the Mahindra Scorpio) to bring an 800 cc, turbocharged, two-cylinder diesel to the engine bay of the Tata Nano. Already blessed with a $2500 price tag and rumored to have a compressed air engine on the way, the story of the Nano just keeps getting more and more interesting.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The car is good but the safety? In a country like India, the budget or cheaper cars only has seat belts and no luxuries, and when it launched, it was unknown, and the people preferred other "yet outdated but well, to have a transport..." cars such as Maruti 800 or Hindustan Ambassador. Seriously, I don't want to the car can be a Mercedes-Benz Sonderklasse (S-Class) but well, any luxuries like the air conditioning, the radio (at least with 2 speakers and stereo AM/FM) and AT LEAST one airbag, that's all. And the assembly quality; please use better materials and more modern machinery. TATA is a good car/truck/pickup manufacturer, so please design a repleacement of the Nano! Or better, upgrade it to have more quality!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.