China Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there's been a lot of talk on this forum about the chery chassis. mainly a lot of crp coming from china hater- you need to spend 500m, it's designed in 1983, torsion beam back end blah blah blah.

chinacarforums isn't about armchair knowledge, it's about bringing you the real answers.

we'd had some discussion about Lotus chassis, and as a die hard Lotus nut I agree that this should be considered to be the ultimate in terms of performance car handling. unfortunately it wasn't convenient to put one of the fightingtorque esprits into a container and bring it over here in time for cdr-club.com 's day out at Shanghai Tianma Circuit.

so we looked for the next best yardstick. I don't know much about Ferrari's, but apparently they are considered to be a reasonably decent sportscar in Europe. not sure how much it costs, but it looked nice.

anyway, we set the Chery loose on it and this is what happened.

ENJOY, AND CHINA HATER DON'T GIVE ME ANY MORE BS ABOUT CHERY CHASSIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.fightingtorque.com/video/f430vschery384.wmv

click the link or paste it into your browser, it should transport you into windows media player or similar.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Oops this is absolutely fantastic.....awesome. you are some driver, fightingtorque :D

·
Registered
481 Posts
great ! downloading , is there any chance there could be a HQ version ( shit no not the geely hatch ) I ment a HIGH quality version of the movie :D

·
Registered
481 Posts
great driving fight
can you give me some FREE private lessons ? heh

but apparently that won't be the case in a BURNOUT race , but then again how many Vs are there in that ferrari :D and how many $ as well

but now you gave the arse something new to talk about , you didnt use the original chery spark plugs , which they didnt spend $500m to research .

and even if they did , its pirated , it's " SPARK " afterall :p

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it was a V8. I don't know how much the F430 costs, but I think it's a lot.

Champion spark plugs are an approved supplier (although not the only one used) to the engine in the windcloud, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I do have a higher res version, but it's a tradeoff between bandwidth, download speed and image quality. this is the biggest file I have on fightingtorque.com, I will see how much bandwidth it uses over next few days, if it isn't too much I will up the resolution.

·
Registered
469 Posts
firefox said:
Sorry but I can't see it...
I cant see it either but can hear it.

I can see your earlier videos - do we need to download a new codec or something from somewhere?

PS. I can see that last link you gave on the second attempt.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
errrmmmm... hope it all works out. for me it plays under windows media player.

if you look closely into my internet site construction you will see that I don't really know what I'm doing, just copy a few bits from here and there and put it all together. I can think of at least one person who would liken it to a Chinese car manufacturer!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wooohooo.
I was there buddy. That was awesome. You guys should have seen him go! No matter how bad the Ferrari driver is it's such a trip to watch a 400hp Italian car get sucked in by a Chery repeatedly till he just gives up.

It must be noted that the cars original owner was in the pits behind us at the time (his friend was driving) and when we were laughing he quite took it personally. His friend came into the pits looking totally dejected and he screamed at him to get out of the seat. He then went out and tried 5x as hard to do marginally better. He actually waited for the Chery at the pit exit and then showed the crowd who was boss. All he did was confirm his status as a total prat! Fighting torque rides the tires off that thing (literally, as he delaminated a tire that day).

It was a pretty good show!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The Alchemist said:
(literally, as he delaminated a tire that day).

your chinese obviously better than mine - I thought I understood the bloke from www.chinadragonracing.com - I could have sworn he said 'it's f*cked'

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ah, funnily enough I just put this in a reply somewhere else...

The Chery is not highly modified, the engine has a high lift cam and a pair of weber DCOE 40's (all ebay stuff!), chinese made sports exhaust system and a user programmable ECU running the ignition. I set it all up over a few late nights tearing up and down a quite road with my wideband ecu, g-force data logger and a bit of laptop work. it doesn't run perfectly, but it runs....

The suspension on the latest video (F430 one) is a bilstein non-adjustable sports kit that the chinadragonracing.com man had on the shelf (same as mk2 golf), whilst for brakes you can do a straight swap to santanna 2000 vented discs using calipers from the old audi 100, and it has (had, I just had to replace them as they were worn out!) Ferodo DS2000 pads.

Suspension on the earlier videos is more or less standard.

Cost..... hmmm. it would be cheaper to buy a faster car in the first place, but that wouldn't be fun! The suspension kit was a sample the guys had around the place, for an imported adjustable suspension kit in the UK you would pay about 300GBP = 4500RMB, by the time it got to China I guess it would be 6000RMB at least. THere are some chinese companies making coilover kits now, but so far nobody I spoke to has faith in them.

For the engine, I spent quite a lot of money because the ECU was expensive (originally tried using carbs plus OEM ecu but it wasn't very good.) For a sensible route, I would reckon on getting the camshaft from overseas (about gBP 100 plus shipping) and then using an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to provide the needed extra fuel - these I think can be found in china for about 500RMB. The full exhaust manifold and system made in china is about 3000RMB, although the quality is not as good as overseas items as I find the welds crack.

I reckon that a turbo conversion using chinese intercooler and turbocharger could be done, I was considering doing it and anyone who wants to try should probably contact Rob at http://www.silkventures.com/performance/index.html . I would guess you're looking at upwards of 10k RMB all in but this would see most 1600cc cars making around 130-150hp with a lot of torque.

My engine is producing about 115hp (according to the race technology g force meter) but this NA tuning doesn't give the big torque increase that you get with a turbo. So the car is not particularly fast, and the handling is still not superb, but compared to the original it is faster, does corner better and stop better, so it's fun to own and drive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know that I'm necroposting, and not to bring the haterade, but...

Looking at the specs of your car on your website, I honestly don't think the Ferrari should have lost.

I suspect that the Ferrari's driver was afraid to push the car all the way? I saw quite a few corners where he could've come in and out a LOT faster.

I know the Chery does have the VW A2 platform on its side... and it's a damn good platform, despite what Real_I_Hate_China guy says.

Car & Driver tested the 1992 Jetta GL (not even a sport model) with zero mods back in 1992. Got 0.83gs on the skidpad. For comparison, a 2006 BMW 330i got 0.83gs on the skidpad. And BMWs are often held up as the shining examples of good handling.

But. I honestly don't think that the Chery should have won.

I'm wondering if the test should have been done again, swapping drivers (or, if the Ferrari's owner wouldn't be comfortable with it, just have him drive the Chery and try to beat your time...)

·
Registered
3 Posts
the video say NOTHING......different driver got different resoult......if Schumacher in that WindFlag what would happen? Ha~~

PS, no top speed showing for the racing ah??

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bhtooefr said:
I'm wondering if the test should have been done again, swapping drivers
I would quite happily take a Ferrari out on that track if anyone has one handy!

I also don't really think the chery is as fast as a Ferrari. Maybe if I painted it yellow.....................

1 - 18 of 18 Posts