China Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain to me the situation with the D-Max and say the GWM Wingle?

As far as I can work out Isuzu launched this truck six years ago. They still sell it now even though it has a terrible 2 star safety rating.

Where I am the truck is very expensive. Around USD$30,000 for a 4wd model. Granted this is the newest model with a 3.0 litre direct injection turbo diesel, airbags, abs. etc. I doubt you will find the same level of technology on a Chinese model.

So my question is did Isuzu sell the rights to copy this truck to all the Chinese manufacturers? Or did they just do a reverse engineer?

While I like the Chinese copies I don't think their engines are as good as the Isuzu. I do hear one of the Chinese companies has a 2.5 litre turbo diesel that is pretty good.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Welcome Tony,
"The Isuzu D-Max - and why the Chinese copy it?"
You ask a good question.
Lots of Chinese makers produce D-Max knock-offs. You can see the pickups and SUVs all over China.
It's an extremely popular body which seems to bear an infinite number of restyled front ends.
Only two manufacturers, that I know of, built Isuzu-based light truck models under license by Isuzu. These were Jiangling and Qingling.
Some Chinese light truck makers chose to copy Toyota, but for some reason far more went with the Isuzu design. It is a simple design and so perhaps the dies are easier to reproduce.
As for the Wingle, Road Test Magazine of South Africa which recently tested it, says that Great Wall bought the KB model dies from Isuzu.
Hopefully some other regulars at this forum can shed more light on the situation.

·
Registered
523 Posts
That's a shocker. Most Holdens sold in Aussie and New Zealand were Rodeos which are based on the Isuzu D-Max. Even the new Colorado is the only one on the market without airbags. At least the Chinese have the courtesy to put airbags in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TonyJZX said:
Can anyone explain to me the situation with the D-Max and say the GWM Wingle?

As far as I can work out Isuzu launched this truck six years ago. They still sell it now even though it has a terrible 2 star safety rating.

Where I am the truck is very expensive. Around USD$30,000 for a 4wd model. Granted this is the newest model with a 3.0 litre direct injection turbo diesel, airbags, abs. etc. I doubt you will find the same level of technology on a Chinese model.

So my question is did Isuzu sell the rights to copy this truck to all the Chinese manufacturers? Or did they just do a reverse engineer?

While I like the Chinese copies I don't think their engines are as good as the Isuzu. I do hear one of the Chinese companies has a 2.5 litre turbo diesel that is pretty good.

I have to agree with you guys. It may be because the bodies are easy to copy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Umm Kiwiguy can you explain to me which a Colorado doesn't have airbags in it and is still street legal? And to the OP your right idk why the Chinese would copy such a crappy car anyways....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts