China Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There's a lesson to be learned from Hyundai, in choosing a name for products destined for the first world markets.
Pride in its original Korean name, that means "modern" or "current era", compelled the company to use the same name abroad. But the problem of mispronouncing it, has plagued the brand since the beginning. Efforts to get Western people to embrace it, even forced the company to promote mispronouncing it, so it would rhyme with the word Sunday.
Its Super Bowl TV advertisement this year, again repeating that Hyundai rhymes with Sunday, indicates that it is still grappling with this brand name problem.
Hopefully the lesson to be learned won't be lost on the Chinese. In other words, forget about names like Chang'an, Hafei, Changfeng, Chang'he or Wuling. They just won't work.
As for Japanese car names. Well they are easy by comparison, and never have g's that follow right after n's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with you. Branding is as important as the automobile they produce. It will be a household name for cars, then make sure it rhymes and sounds similar to cars and automotive stuff. Something easy to remember and to pronounce will help a lot in branding and for the consuming public to recall and promote. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
there was a thread like this; i think it was about gonow...someone said it was hard for the japanese companies at first but when they got bigger and bigger nobody thought they were strange...
but i think most chinese companies have more stranger names than japanese companies...and i think an easy pronouncing name can make it faster to be a wellknown company worldwide...

·
Registered
107 Posts
if they dont have ambition they must stop manufacturing!...if they dont imagine to be a bigger and worldwide company they can never manufacture strong cars for chinese people too..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello, for me...the best Chinese brand name is Great Wall...because, it's the most representative brand name for a Chinese Car.

Greetings!

·
Registered
2 Posts
For sure, I totally agree with you, Great Wall is the best name of Chinese vehicles, also it has nice quality and good marketing team

·
Registered
255 Posts
elvischeng said:
For sure, I totally agree with you, Great Wall is the best name of Chinese vehicles, also it has nice quality and good marketing team
Too bad most of their cars are clones that end up ridiculed overseas; making it an embarrassment for Chinese people.

·
Registered
68 Posts
And stay away from meaningless numbers.

Everyone knows what an Integra is. Do you know what the CL, TSX and RSX look like?

·
Registered
255 Posts
BigFatGuy said:
And stay away from meaningless numbers.

Everyone knows what an Integra is. Do you know what the CL, TSX and RSX look like?
Actually I do.

I am not against numbers and letters, as long as there is some logic to it (like BMW or MB names).

·
Registered
561 Posts
What they need is names like Lenovo. It used to be called Legend, until some guy decided that its bad marketing when selling to north america. Since then Lenovo just became the quality brand name, and there is nothing weird about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts