China Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
I remeber they had a few TATA dealers around Adelaide, notably on Old Port Road where they sold Utes, but that dealership went under and now TATAs are extremely rare. Passenger cars would be interesting though.

·
Registered
280 Posts
India will definitely have a huge impact in the world. India is about where China was 15 years ago. In a few more years, they will get their act together better and their industries will start booming. They have a huge domestic market and a very smart, entrepreneurial people.

The 21st century is going to be dominated by three countries, the USA, China and India. This pattern will become clear by 2050.

·
Registered
297 Posts
india will have an enormous market, but i have done lots of research and none are really going to stay independant, they just act as changan or SAIC in terms of doing partnerships with big companies from the west.

THey really have no intention of developing their own brands and marketing outside india...and lets just say this...their auto companies are behind China's, and you guys are saying china is going to take a while to get into the west...so dont expect indian car comapnies....theres not much investment towards the auto industry anyways...they invest more on skills and IT stuff

·
Registered
297 Posts
also india doesnt have edge of china , which is cheap manufacturing labour...its much cheaper to develop things in china, and china is ahead in manufacturing development

·
Registered
469 Posts
AXLE said:
Out of all of them, TATA looks to be the most promising, or atleast to me it seems that way.
India is not so different to China - It also has links to MG-Rover:

1. Tata's Indica is currntly selling quite well in the UK as the MG-Rover City Rover.

http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm?cityroverstoryf.htm

2. There is also a tie up between Indias ICM and MG-Rover on their Rhino Rover.

"The Company has entered into Technical Collaboration Agreement with MG Rover of UK. With the technical know – how from MG Rover, UK, the Company has manufactured MUV with the name of RHINO & the same MUV would boast of Rover engines." http://www.icml.co.in/profile.html

·
Registered
280 Posts
m14 said:
india will have an enormous market, but i have done lots of research and none are really going to stay independant, they just act as changan or SAIC in terms of doing partnerships with big companies from the west.

THey really have no intention of developing their own brands and marketing outside india...and lets just say this...their auto companies are behind China's, and you guys are saying china is going to take a while to get into the west...so dont expect indian car comapnies....theres not much investment towards the auto industry anyways...they invest more on skills and IT stuff
Of course it's not going to happen overnight, India still lags in a lot of critical area, most of all infrastructure.

It might take 30 years, but India will become a major industrial power. 30 years is nothing in terms of geopolitics, and considering the long history of Indian and Chinese civilization, 30 years of rapid change is pretty much overnight.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
India auto industry is much different from china. It doesnt have a bunch of independent manufacturers, and the auto industry is growing much slower than china. Also seems that Tata is really the only big player

·
Registered
627 Posts
m14 said:
also india doesnt have edge of china , which is cheap manufacturing labour...its much cheaper to develop things in china, and china is ahead in manufacturing development

labour in India is much cheaper than in China. The average workier in a car plant in China makes $3 US dollar an hour. In India average worker in car plant only makes US $0.50 an hour.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I read last night on www.CarSpyShots.net that Tata were developing a car to sell at $2200 US.

heres the article http://www.carspyshots.net/zerothread?id=17337

Also as I mentioned before they were going to have a go at the Australian market, they're were aiming at cheap end of market with there Indigo station wagon.

Since the article I read concerning Tata's entry into Aussie market it seems as AXLE said dealerships have folded so maybe Tata have shutdown Aussie operations, not a good sign if re-entry is near.

·
Registered
459 Posts
This is one of the vehicles that TATA used to sell in Australia, the Telcoline (AKA TL) Utility

Here is one found on a an Australia used car search...

http://search.carsguide.news.com.au...false&vehicleId=NIM309284:12060&vehicleType=1

They also sold the Safari SUV

Those are the two only vehicles that I know of which were sold in Australia before they went under. I sometimes see them for sale or on the road but rarely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts