China Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three candidates for Dodge Hornet has been revealed, its Chery, Mitsubishi, and Hyundai.

Mitsubishi is desperate for a deal after years of market slide, while Hyundai is believed to be offering to assemble the car in India via its existing Indian factory, a lower-cost country than China. Both offer world-class engineering.

Chery has neither the engineering resources of Japanese and Koreans nor the price advantage of Indian-assembled Hyundais. Should Chery manage to beat out its other rivals in Dodge Hornet deal, then it has proven its worth.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think they might , if americans forgot for a second that they are chinese and stop being a big white racist buisness .

anyways even if chery did , they are gonna rename it to a stupid name !
Chery FooFoo or Chery HutchHutch or simply Chery C60

lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
cryptonx said:
I think they might , if americans forgot for a second that they are chinese and stop being a big white racist buisness .
You are aware that Hyundai is Korean and Mitsubishi is Japanese, right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have recently become interested in Chinese car makers as they are comming to our shore shortly. It would be a feather in the cap if indeed they were given the nod to build the Hornet. As for we Americans being white racists how many of us "white racists" drive Hondas,Subarus, Toyotas, Nissans, Misubishis, Hyundais, Kias etc etc?. Americans buy the best product for the best price when the Chinese cars arrive here if they are good quality for the right price they will be purchased and no doubt enthusiasts clubs will spring up and no one will care who makes them.
You might want to look closer at yourself in regards to racism when you say things like you just did, most Americans are looking forward to the Chinese cars and most Americans enjoy the Asian culture and have no silly hatred for any asian culture.

·
Registered
481 Posts
They don't , I talk alot on other forums , and most of americans there hate the guts of " chinese cars " or " chinese products " and some people even convinced that if american folks started to buy chinese stuff ,, the us will fall !

and if you PUT more cocentration on my word , ididnt say Americans are racists , I Said American Buisness is .

However , I am sorry if you're offended , but I never insulted americans themsleves in the first place .

·
Registered
8 Posts
I understand and Im not offended, it is easy to misread something or not phrase a post to cover all the ways people might read it. Most American companys focus on profit it doesnt matter what you look like if you can help them profit they will deal with you. The Chinese car makers problems will arrise if they try to enter the market to quickly and outrun their abiility to provide a good product with good support. Will this happen......hmm not sure I think the long term approach would be best for the chinese auto industry when it comes here, slow and methodical, with their eyes on cost vs durability.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Terms of DCX deal is that the contracting supplier must do its own engineering and deliver finished product at an "agreed" low price. The possible deal with VW fell apart over price, even though the car was supposed to be assembled in Mexico. So we know there is a heavy pricing pressure.

This puts Chery at a severe disadvantage, as both Hyundai and Mitsubishi have proven B-segment cars(Getz and Colt) to base Hornet on, whereas Chery must start from scratch(No, DCX doesn't take illegal replicas of somebody else's car and QQ6 wouldn't pass US crash and emissions test) to build Hornet.

·
Registered
832 Posts
My bet is Hyundai will win the deal, sorry Chery fans Americans love Hyundai at the moment.

Also to note Dodge sell rebadged Hyundai Accents in Mexico so DCX know Hyundai well.
www.dodge.com.mx look at Dodge Atos & Attitude.

IMO Mitsubishi won't win due to companies faith being lost over recall debacle.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMO Mitsubishi won't win due to companies faith being lost over recall debacle.
This is why Mitsubishi is so determined to land this deal. At least Mitsubishi is running undercapacity, while Hyundai is running at close to peak capacity and is madly adding new capacity to cope with rising demand.

Mitsubishi's only problem is that they don't have a manufacturing base in low-cost country like India. China doesn't make a good automobile exporting base because Chinese government's refusal to allow a 100% foreign ownership. While a $500 price difference may not amount to much in mid-size cars priced around $20,000, it is a big deal in subcompacts.

·
Registered
264 Posts
hazik said:
Who wants to buy a car the reads final Assembly point: India.

India has a gaining rep in most industries and has the engineering power

·
Registered
481 Posts
agreed , but I still think as An Auto Industry , Chinese are alot much better than Indians ..

whats the major factories in Indai anyways ? Fiat / Hyundai and that Tata thing ? ( I am asking , not mocking ) .

as for the Mitsu / Hyundai thing , Well Hyundai & Mitsu are selling like crazy here , especialy hyundai .. mitsubishi only sells the Lancer and Outlander here ( Japaneese made ) Hyundai is dominating the market with the " Elantra / Matrix / Getz / Accent and The New Accent " .

And Hyundai Egypt just signed a deal with F.A.W and they are now assembling Xiali N3 and Xiali Angel in Egypt and they are already on Sale, the Xiali N3 for $8000 and the angel for $7000 .. the N3 is the replacement of the OLD 1999 Accent that was still being assemblled here .

At BIGIRON
I get the picture now , anyways my appologies .. dont blame me for the harshness.. blame southpark :p

So yes I think Hyundai is the closer to the deal , ALtho I hate most of thier designs ... Ie Mitsus COLT is so much better than any hatchback / b-seg car Hyundai will make .

·
Registered
132 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
Chery has neither the engineering resources of Japanese and Koreans nor the price advantage of Indian-assembled Hyundais. Should Chery manage to beat out its other rivals in Dodge Hornet deal, then it has proven its worth.
Koreans don't have any technical advantage when compared to Japanese and don't have any price advantage when compared to Chinese. India is a worst place to be your manufactory base, poor infurstructures add up the cost, undisplant workers are extremly low in effeciency & quality. Koreans will realize they have made a huge mistake sooner or later. The bright side is they can always turn their indian workers into call center customer service repersenatives.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
India is a worst place to be your manufactory base, poor infurstructures add up the cost, undisplant workers are extremly low in effeciency & quality.
Well, it's no worse than China. Critical parts and steel sheet(no, you cannot source galvanized high-strength steel sheet required to fabricate chassis in China) have to be imported anyway as local suppliers cannot supply them, be it India or China.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'd have to say out of the 3, Chery is the best way to go.

Sure Hyundai has some prior alliances with DCX, but that fell through after all. And why would DCX "help" a huge rival like Hyundai?

Same with Mitsubishi. And even if they do make the car in India, with Mitsu's high overhead and India's higher logistics cost, I hardly think it'd be cheaper.

Chery has advanced mfg plant, great logistics to ship from China, overall lower cost, and not yet a direct competitor - it's the best choice.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Who wants to buy a car the reads final Assembly point: India.
Anybody who would also buy a car that reads final assembly point : China.

In terms of public impression, India actually ranks above China because of a massive influx of Indian programmers and engineers into the US. Chinese are associated with piracy, IP theft, various forms of illegal business activities, and an oppressive communist government who kills Tibetans and its own people.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd have to say out of the 3, Chery is the best way to go.
And where is this mystical Chery that Hornet will be based on? I am sure DCX executives would like to see something more tangible than computer generated graphics.

Same with Mitsubishi. And even if they do make the car in India
Hyundai has a couple of Indian plants, not Mitsubishi.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
sourcing steel locally

Real_I_Hate_China said:
Well, it's no worse than China. Critical parts and steel sheet(no, you cannot source galvanized high-strength steel sheet required to fabricate chassis in China) have to be imported anyway as local suppliers cannot supply them, be it India or China.
With established ventures between China's Baosteel and heavyweight global makers like Arcelor, Thyssen Krupp, and Nippon Steel, I don't think there's any longer a problem sourcing good quality sheet steel in China.

The famed Posco Steel of Korea has 18 locations within China.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts