China Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know that to rely only on low price isn't a good idea..but then, my question is:
What's the factor that can let the chinese invasion in us and european market?

Perhaps Chinese VM's should try to develop a new technology, something that doesn't yet exist or not well yet marketed ( hybrid )...

here it is a piece of an article from asia times online "low cost isn't everything"

.................If China's automobile industry is to achieve the same measure of success as Japan's, it must offer the global community something it does not already have: a technology or product with a deliverable and quite tangible benefit that other auto manufacturers have overlooked. It will not be enough for China simply to make an equivalent to an Isuzu SUV at half the price. Both inside and outside the auto sector, Chinese manufacturers must innovate, or any growth they do experience will ultimately be short-lived and cannibalistic.

Without innovation, competitors will be doing exactly what the Chinese do, and both will be forced to compete only on price. If this happens within a market, it will further de-emphasize the potential for innovation because companies cannot afford to invest in research and development when their margins are eroding. Most troubling is the idea that the potential for China's contribution to the world could be stymied as a consequence of too many business models focused purely on price and not on innovation.

The irony that much of the Japanese competitive strength in the automobile sector was predicated on ideas that were uniquely American in origin has been lost on most people. Culturally, the Japanese mindset and approach to business easily accommodated a mastery over details other business cultures deemed too trivial and unimportant to track. The culture that saw intense beauty in the intricacies of a finely landscaped garden or miniaturized bonsai tree was ideally positioned to see similar depth and nuance in the mastery of those quality-control details that others were unwilling to pay close attention to.

In a similar way, the ultimate realm of competencies that China will develop will doubtlessly build on ideas that already exist, but whose adaptation has not yet gone forward because the ideas do not fit within the way other companies and cultures approach business. Within this realization lies much of the paradigm-shifting potential for China. Its success may ride on the back of a similar adoption of undeveloped, unapplied and unappreciated concepts of doing business.

More likely still is that as the growth of China continues it will be able to shake loose of entire technology paradigms and launch into areas of development not yet conceptualized. As just one example, the uniquely Chinese solution that unfolds in the automobile market may incorporate entirely new technologies that circumvent the established means by which people transport themselves in Europe and the Americas.

More practically still, there is a historical lag between the invention of an automobile safety feature and the time that it becomes available for consumers. Existing but unexecuted solutions may provide incremental opportunities for a particular Chinese manufacturing sector to establish the worthiness of its own products, ideas and thereby its brands.

In the US, the automobile has become a cultural icon or, at the very least, a somewhat adolescent fixation. The American ideal of personal freedom is innately tied to the autonomy afforded a person with a car, representing his very real opportunity to go anywhere he likes, at any time he wishes. Within China, the automobile represents the broader ideal of progress. But because the archetype of the automobile is somewhat less clearly formed in China, the potential exists for new technologies that significantly change a part of the driving or auto-ownership experience to be accepted.

Couple this potential for easier adaptation of new technology with the cultural ability of the Chinese people to appreciate the need to think collectively, and the opportunities for new advances in personal transportation exponentially increase. Within a still-developing country like China the significance of personal transportation, and the untapped creative potential of its business people and technicians, coupled with its openness to new technologies, the opportunity to introduce an entirely paradigm-shifting technology is in many ways greater than now exists in the US and Europe. But as Jiangling's experience has shown, such market-shaping greatness will not be found on price alone.

What's your opinion?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not necessary.

I tend to think.

If China can offer a good looking car, with good safety rating and build quality. ie, the build quality of Toyota, the drivability like BMW, the styling like Pinifarina, and the price it low.

Then people will be interested.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I don't know what people think but IMO, I think this article has a very valid point, price is not everything nowadays, and given the records of BS6 and Chery Amulet crash test rating, to change people's perception can take really long time, and to achieve top notch build quality, attractive design, comfort, it really takes a lot of money in R&D over a long period of time, so instead, why not spend that money on developing one thing and it is something new, totally a new concept to the world. But then again, to develop something absolutely new then it will take a lot and a lot of money and at the moment, very few or should I say none of Chinese carmakers have the huge amount of cash to do so, and the only to get that huge amount of money is through the increase of car sales for the time being, but to increase the car sale, first they have to win the trust of the consumers but to attract and win the trust of the consumers then maybe you can look back to katsura's comment, so as you can see, there is a dilemma here. And people always talk about innovation, but we need to keep in mind that innovation does not come free and out of nowhere, it must come with reaserch and development but R&D requires money, and money does not grow on trees, and for automakers, a good auto sales report means money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
China may be on track for leapfrogging into PHEV and BEV cars, both for domestic and international markets.

The major Li battery manufacturers are in China. China has significant untapped lithium reserves. Oil is going up and the cost of the technology for Li batteries is going down. China has signifcant capacity to produce electricity cost-effectively using coal and biomass. China has a significant pollution problem especially in her major cities. China is at significant threat from the effects of global warming with major coastal cities and even for the global climate change naysayers, China wants to be percieved as part of the solution, not as the major problem.

Add that all together and a Chinese EV industry taking off domestically and worldwide seems almost inevitable to me.

I have asked this in another thread, but I would love to hear from Chinese posters what they think of this analysis.

·
Registered
148 Posts
katsura said:
Not necessary.

I tend to think.

If China can offer a good looking car, with good safety rating and build quality. ie, the build quality of Toyota, the drivability like BMW, the styling like Pinifarina, and the price it low.

Then people will be interested.
if this happened the whole world would be interested:nod:

·
Registered
507 Posts
This article has many great points, but in order to run, China must first learn to walk.

Once China can make cars of similar quality, design, safety, and performance versus other top makers, then we can talk about "innovations".

Now, China can be smart and learn to walk and then run directly in the Hybrid / Electric / Hydrogen vehicles. Others are not too far ahead in those fields, so that may just be the ticket...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
closed to intellectual progress

Don said:
China may be on track for leapfrogging into PHEV and BEV cars, both for domestic and international markets.

The major Li battery manufacturers are in China. China has significant untapped lithium reserves. Oil is going up and the cost of the technology for Li batteries is going down. China has signifcant capacity to produce electricity cost-effectively using coal and biomass. China has a significant pollution problem especially in her major cities. China is at significant threat from the effects of global warming with major coastal cities and even for the global climate change naysayers, China wants to be percieved as part of the solution, not as the major problem.

Add that all together and a Chinese EV industry taking off domestically and worldwide seems almost inevitable to me.

I have asked this in another thread, but I would love to hear from Chinese posters what they think of this analysis.
Don you make a great point.
Yes, China is in a superb position to blaze a new path in automotive development. But I'm afraid that most Chinese youth/students don't get a chance to see suggestions like yours, much less the opportunity to reply to it. In fact generally speaking, I don't think they even get the chance to view any of the other dialogue that goes on here, and on other China-related automotive web forums.
It's a pity because the talent is there just waiting to blossom like a flower, given the right kind of official encouragement. And of course China and the rest of the world would reap the benefits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts