China Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
16,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geely, Yulon to jointly sell Panda car in Taiwan.

January 13, 2008 - Geely Auto Holdings Group, mainland China's top private automaker will cooperate with Taiwan's largest automaker Yulon Motor Co, to build "Panda" cars for the Taiwan market, Chinanews.net said, citing Geely Auto Group.

The two companies are likely to work under the CKD form and assemble cars in Taiwan. Geely's small car Panda is expected to be the first Chinese mainland produced car to go to Taiwan.

Taiwan's auto industry, badly hit by the global economic crisis, suffered a big decline of last year's car sales to 220,000 units. But it seems a good opportunity to roll out cheap people cars, as Yulon Motor anticipated.

The Taiwan automaker expects to achieve sales success by promoting cheap car Panda, which Geely said to be priced at NT$320,000 (US$9,620).

from gasgoo.com

·
Administrator
16,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Yulon aims to export Geely Panda-based EV to mainland

August 6, 2009 - from Gasgoo.com
Yulon Motor Co, Taiwan's largest automaker by market value, plans to export its first own-brand pure-electric car using the platform of Geely Automobile Holdings's Panda model to China's mainland market, the China Economic News Service reports.

Chen Kuo-rong, president of Yulon Motor, said that the company has already completed the development of an electric variant of the Geely Panda model at its Sanyi (Taiwan) plant and it is still negotiating with Geely to export the model to the mainland market.

Yulon's plan is to take advantage of the planned removal of cross-straits automotive shipment tariffs to export the cars to the mainland. The new car model will be sold in export markets under the Tobe brand.

Yulon was reported this January to have plans to team up with Geely to build Panda cars under CKD form at Yulon's Sanyi plant in Miaoli.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Re: Geely Panda (AOO) and GX3

martin_krpan said:
Yulon aims to export Geely Panda-based EV to mainland
August 6, 2009 - from Gasgoo.com
Yulon Motor Co, Taiwan's largest automaker by market value, plans to export its first own-brand pure-electric car using the platform of Geely Automobile Holdings's Panda model to China's mainland market, the China Economic News Service reports.
Martin this comes as a surprise because one would think that Geely would want to exercise strict intellectual property (IPR) rights on this unique Panda model which they have proudly developed.

Yes, I know, I can't believe I would be talking about protection of IPR and Geely in the same sentence.

But seriously, Yulon has, if anything, been a competitor of Geely since it has been closely tied to Dongfeng in the Aeolus tie-up for many years. In fact, it has a new tie-up with both Dongfeng and Zhejiang Zhongyu Auto in the Luxgen Motor Co.

Gasgoo's mention of the January talks between Geely and Yulon about CKD assembly, also came as a surprise. Were these talks mentioned earlier in the year here at CCF? It so I missed it.

·
Administrator
16,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
706 Posts

That is great! I don't know how the American market would accept it but it looks like they've done a great job with the all-electric version of the Panda. I'm all for it-export it to faraway lands and it should be a hit. Probably not as much in mature markets. They might like it in Europe, however, with their narrow streets. For around town use over there, perhaps. I think it looks as cute as a bug. If it holds up the electric Panda should sell fairly well for Geely.

We were talking about color combo's the other day on one of the CCF threads. The lime green on the electric Panda works well with the white exterior. It's when you contrast a solid color for the interior that doesn't match at all with a solid color on the exterior that I have serious problems with it.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Rally Red Lancer GTS said:
That is great! I don't know how the American market would accept it but it looks like they've done a great job with the all-electric version of the Panda. I'm all for it-export it to faraway lands and it should be a hit. Probably not as much in mature markets. They might like it in Europe, however, with their narrow streets. For around town use over there, perhaps. I think it looks as cute as a bug. If it holds up the electric Panda should sell fairly well for Geely.

We were talking about color combo's the other day on one of the CCF threads. The lime green on the electric Panda works well with the white exterior. It's when you contrast a solid color for the interior that doesn't match at all with a solid color on the exterior that I have serious problems with it.

I agree with you about the color combo, Lancer.........the white and green work nicely together. White is a neutral color and mixes with any other color.....and the green Geely uses is a nice "earth" tone. I REALLY REALLY hope Geely will consider selling this car in China as well as Taiwan - what a perfect city car this could be. I just looked at some of the specs on this thing...........172km/h top speed, and 160km distance between charges (averaging 40km/h) - pretty damn amazing. SELL IT IN CHINA GEELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
706 Posts

jmsteiny-this is the pinnacle in city cars. I think a lot of Americans would like this car as well. Hell, I like it. And my favorite car in the whole wide world is the one I own, a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS.:circle:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts